Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fool-proofing

sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
edited January 2018 in Logic Games 1501 karma

So I'm in the middle of fool-proofing. The first time I do a game, I will just use a stop watch and see how long it took me, while trying to work it as fast I can. I'm getting -0 or -1 on all the games. But my first go is often 10+ minutes. I'm a bit proud that I'm getting all these games, it's an awesome feeling, before I started the CC I was so weak at games... BUT now discouraged at taking 10 minutes. Some, I've taken 14. I'd say most are 9 to 10 mins, in looking at my chart, that I took from Pacifico's LG attack strategy. Is it reasonable to expect to get faster the more I keep FPing?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"sbc.mom_3x" said:
    So I'm in the middle of fool-proofing. The first time I do a game, I will just use a stop watch and see how long it took me, while trying to work it as fast I can. I'm getting -0 or -1 on all the games. But my first go is often 10+ minutes. I'm a bit proud that I'm getting all these games, it's an awesome feeling, before I started the CC I was so weak at games... BUT now discouraged at taking 10 minutes. Some, I've taken 14. I'd say most are 9 to 10 mins, in looking at my chart, that I took from Pacifico's LG attack strategy. Is it reasonable to expect to get faster the more I keep FPing?

Of course! Keep doing the games until you're going -0 and finishing them under JY's recommended time. At first, even the most simple games took me 8+ minutes, but the more I did, the quicker I got.

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

Should I keep moving forward in the games or continue doing the same until I get them under a desirable time? First I just kept moving along, thinking I'll just approach similar games. Which I have. And I do decrease my time when I repeat games. So I guess do them again before moving on? Or, keep moving but also go back to some... kind of thinking of loud here.. :blush:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

You're doing great, and the time will definitely come down as you keep repeating the games. Glance over the guide to foolproofing again for the strategy: https://7sage.com/lesson/fool-proof-guide-to-perfection-on-logic-games/

Basically, do the game and then yes, keep repeating the same game until you get it -0 and under the target time. It works!

I started off about the same as you, most games took me 8+ minutes with probably an average of between 12-14. But as you keep doing them over and over again, your time will improve!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@"sbc.mom_3x" said:
    Should I keep moving forward in the games or continue doing the same until I get them under a desirable time? First I just kept moving along, thinking I'll just approach similar games. Which I have. And I do decrease my time when I repeat games. So I guess do them again before moving on? Or, keep moving but also go back to some... kind of thinking of loud here.. :blush:

If it's a really hard game and I'm struggling a lot with it, I like to watch the video and redo it right after. If it's a bit challenging, but I ultimately diagram it correctly, solve it under time and go -1 on it, I usually wait a bit before I redo it. So usually the next day. Basically, the better I do on a game, the longer I wait to do it again.

I also BR all my games right after regardless. So I do each game at least 2x the first day I attempt it. I spend a lot of time during my BR on games. I like to draw out all possible frames/worlds for the different possible hypos; I like to evaluate my strategy for answering certain questions and make sure I did the game as efficiently as possible; also, I sometimes record my fresh takes on my iPhone to evaluate objectively on video. You don't need to do it a ton to get some great info!

So keep moving but go back to the ones you need to is what I think. At any given time I'm usually cycling between 3-4 sections of LG games. I think it helps from getting bored! That said, when you're fool proofing and starting out I think sticking with one game until you've got it is best. Spend as much time as you need to feel as though you've got a good grasp on how to diagram, solve, and make inferences.

Have you tried drilling games by type at all? I feel like that's something that helped me with speed when I wasn't as good at games. When you drill by type, I feel like you learn the patterns and similar inferences within game types. I'd also recommend trying this approach!

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

I normally keep going back to games that I’m either not under the time or if I’m just shaky on. If I know I only got through the game because I remembered the answers I usually keep coming back to it over the next few days and weeks until I’m comgortable with it. I give it a decent amount of time initially even if it takes a day or two of repeating the game but I do not stop all other games completely until I solidify that one. Give it a few days upfront and come back as needed.

• Prudenter DiscerePrudenter Discere Alum Member
    234 karma

I would advise not to follow the pacifico method unless you already have a solid footing in logic games. Once you grasp the games very well, then you can follow the Pacifico method, but at first, I believe you would benefit from foolproofing each game until you have it done under JY time even if it takes you 10 copies.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@lsathabib said:
    I would advise not to follow the pacifico method unless you already have a solid footing in logic games. Once you grasp the games very well, then you can follow the Pacifico method, but at first, I believe you would benefit from foolproofing each game until you have it done under JY time even if it takes you 10 copies.

I would advise the same. The Pacifico strategy isn't supposed to compromise on gettimg the games correct under time. It more is for people who can do that on the first or second take because they are starting to get good at games.

The OP should follow the srandard foolproofing guide attached by @"Leah M B" unless she finds herself not using most of the 10 copies of each game she prints out because she masters the game quicker. If this is the case, then she should use the Pacifico Attack Strategy both to save on paper and to have more organized foolproofing schedule.