Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do legacy recommendations give you a leg up at top schools?

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member

I tried researching this online but couldn't really find any answers --- I recently discovered that my CMO went to my dream school for undergrad. When I begin applying after taking the LSAT, I was not planning on asking my current employer for recommendations since I didn't want to let them know I was leaving for Law School until I was certain I got into a school. My question is - does having a good LOR from someone that went to the school you're applying to really give you a strong leg up? If it does, I will consider asking him for one even though I hadn't planned on cluing my employer in that early. But I don't think I'd want to if it didn't help get me in.

Side notes:

1. He attended undergrad in the 1950s -- so a very long while ago. I don't know if timing would make a difference
  2. I think he would probably give me a good LOR since we work closely together and his feedback has been positive

Comments

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

I highly doubt it, especially since he wasn't at the law school. Unless he's the sort of person who has 4 buildings named after him on campus, they won't really care. If you don't want your employer knowing, I definitely wouldn't ask this person for a letter--it's not worth it

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

Unfortunately, it won't give you a leg up at all that he was an alum. However, him being a CMO might make for nice LOR regardless. Especially if he can write a strong one.

I feel you on not wanting to cue work in before it's absolutely necessary. Doesn't mean you can't get one down the road, though.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@tringo335 of course I have nothing concrete but I wouldn’t think so. The only thing I could see is the person stating that you have certain qualities that they are sure the school is looking for or that would benefit the school. Something along the lines of you being the “perfect fit” for a student attending xxx school.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

In addition, This might be a good question for the TLS forums. Alot good advice on there (if you could parse through the many, many trolls).

Namaste.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

Pardon my ignorance, but what are "TLS forums"?? :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@"adi.pickles" said:

TLS is the acronym for Top Law Schools forum -- enter at your own risk lol :sweat_smile:

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

@"Alex Divine" awesome, thank you!! I've seen them mentioned a bunch on other posts and was trying to figure it out :wink:

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited January 2018 9372 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"adi.pickles" said:

TLS is the acronym for Top Law Schools forum -- enter at your own risk lol :sweat_smile:

I'm still recovering from the time when I logged on to TLS months ago.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5eFp76zhsq3uw/giphy.gif

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I doubt a legacy letter would have an advantages over a normal letter. I'd ask whoever you think is going to write the best letter and who knows you the best! Preferably from professors.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

The status of the recommender matters not. What matters is what @"Paul Caint" has said. The letter should be from a professor who knows you and your work well. Do you guys know if there is a minor boost if a family member is a legacy at the school you are applying to.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited October 2018 1028 karma