Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A thread!

LsatkayyLsatkayy Alum Member
in General 162 karma

We are all working hard as the feb exam is approaching. This is a thread for giving advice of any type to anyone writing the test. My number one advice, if it’s your first write, TAKE THE DAY BEFORE OFF. don’t do anything that will compromise the next day like get drunk the night before, but totally unwind. Do a baking soda detox bath and go to sleep on time!

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

If things go badly at the very end of your prep don't panic.

I hardly slept the night before because I was sick with a wierd version of the flu which also caused coughing and hiccuping in addition to the dry heaves. I also couldn't eat the morning of. Nonetheless, I got a better score than my average and a better score than I could have reasonably hoped.

Obviously, it can go the other way too, but everyone should know that sleep, good health, eating habits, test day warm ups and the like are desirable, but not neccessary to score your PT average or above.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I also second the plan of taking the day before off if you can. I took the day off work, treated myself to my favorite breakfast sandwich, went on a short bike ride, saw a fun movie (Thor Ragnarok, awesome), ate a healthy dinner, laid out my warm up material, went to bed early-ish. It was an excellent day that just got in me in a happy, relaxed state of mind.

I also was given some advice that sounds counterintuitive, but really helped me. Spend some time envisioning your worst case scenario for test day. Everyone has a weakness - for me, it's RC. I pictured having 2 RC sections, and having them right up front, sections 1 and 2. I really envisioned it and felt the slight panic, and then calmed myself down. Wouldn't you know, I did end up with 2 RC sections, and they were section 1 (haha) and 4. So, not too far off. But instead of being nervous seeing my nemesis right away, I literally laughed out loud because of the irony of getting the scenario that I had been meditating on. It relaxed me so much more when it happened instead of throwing off my confidence.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

Don't panic. Just treat this like you would any other PT.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Remember to breathe. During the exam, I began to panic when I realized I was re-reading a passage over and over. I paused for10 seconds to catch my breathe and was able to put my nerves under control.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

Stop thinking of how many questions you can get wrong to maintain your goal score and start thinking about how many more you need to get right to surpass it! I think my biggest problem in December was going into the test center confident that I needed to do no better than I had done on my PTs. I was in damage mitigation mode since I hadn't tested below 170 in over 20 PTs.

That attitude ensured that I under-performed big time and ended up with a 165 on the real thing. Now I'm retaking haha. Go into the test center feeling like you need to perform better than you ever have before!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Make sure you eat a good breakfast and have a good snack for the break.

By the time I started the September test it had been about 2 or 2-1/2 hours since I had breakfast and... well, I was hungry! Figure out the drive to the test center (mine was about a half hour) and remember that there will be a wait to get in and get started. So, if you are like me, and need food to function then bring your breakfast with you or a snack to eat just before you go into the test room.

Also - I thought I had a great snack - ham sandwich with lettuce and tomatoes but it wasn't enough! I was so hungry by the time we had the break that the ham sandwhich wasn't nearly enough to meet my needs.

So, be prepared people! and best of luck!