Need advice - nothing goes smoothly! Lol

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 13286 karma

Okay so I’m stuck on what to do here.

Situation: one of my transcripts is getting updated and removing credit hours (but leaving the grades) for 20+ units of failed, and dropped, classes.

I have already applied to 16 schools.

What do I do? Do I call all 16 schools? Will this change my gpa? What does this even mean?

Is it worth pushing or should I leave the cards on the table as they are?

Bleh I don’t even understand what is happening! And I don’t know what to do...

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

All grades have to be considered so it doesn't seem like it would change anything if the grade remains.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@stepharizona said:
    All grades have to be considered so it doesn't seem like it would change anything if the grade remains.

This is what I thought too. But the dean seemed dead set on the fact that it would lower my over all credit hour count and bring my gpa up. So I’m a bit lost. Maybe she just doesn’t understand how the LSAC works? Needless to say I am going to call the LSAC tomorrow and ask...

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I don't want to get your hopes up, but I think that maybe if they are assigning 0 credit to it, then they won't be calculated into your GPA. From the LSAC site:

Grades Excluded from Conversion
    - Those assigned no measure of credit by the issuing institution, regardless of the grade. Physical Education, Practical Art, Practical Music, and ROTC courses that are assigned credit will be included in the academic summary, even if the issuing institution does not include these courses in its calculation of a GPA.

https://www.lsac.org/aboutlsac/policies/transcript-summarization

I think you should call LSAC and explain what exactly your school is doing and ask them about how that would be calculated into your GPA. If it raises it, you should 100000% make sure that every school is aware of that! It's possible that LSAC will push that out, kind of like a new LSAT score. But if I were you, I'd probably want to call and just make sure I know how that works.

13286 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I don't want to get your hopes up, but I think that maybe if they are assigning 0 credit to it, then they won't be calculated into your GPA. From the LSAC site:

- Those assigned no measure of credit by the issuing institution, regardless of the grade. Physical Education, Practical Art, Practical Music, and ROTC courses that are assigned credit will be included in the academic summary, even if the issuing institution does not include these courses in its calculation of a GPA.

I think you should call LSAC and explain what exactly your school is doing and ask them about how that would be calculated into your GPA. If it raises it, you should 100000% make sure that every school is aware of that! It's possible that LSAC will push that out, kind of like a new LSAT score. But if I were you, I'd probably want to call and just make sure I know how that works.

You just got my hopes up. What a nightmare! The only reason I found out about this is because of Columbia’s required dean Certification lol...the dean of the college was so embarrassed, someone forgot to do this when I came back after the military.

Eifiwikdfieisjifidwuus Law School Admissions is hard...

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited January 2018 8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Leah M B" said:

You just got my hopes up. What a nightmare! The only reason I found out about this is because of Columbia’s required dean Certification lol...the dean of the college was so embarrassed, someone forgot to do this when I came back after the military.

Eifiwikdfieisjifidwuus Law School Admissions is hard...

Ugh I just don't even know, this is also from LSAC and I'm not sure how it all works together in this case:

Failing Grades
    Any grade notation that signifies failure (such as No Credit, No Credit/Fail, Not Passing, Incomplete, Incomplete/Fail, Withdraw/Fail, Unsatisfactory, Fail, etc.) is converted to zero on the 4.0 scale and is included in the calculation of the GPA, even if the issuing school considers the grade to be nonpunitive. Failure is defined as credit attempted but not earned. If a transcript is not clear about credit attempted, LSAC staff will contact the registrar at the issuing school to confirm whether course credit was attempted. Incomplete and Withdraw grades considered punitive by the issuing school will be included in the conversion. The only exception to this policy is for No Credit, Withdraw/Fail, repeated courses, and incomplete grades specifically explained in Grades Excluded from Conversion.

I can see an argument both ways, so again I'm going to stick with you calling LSAC haha. It's super confusing.

The worst case scenario is that your GPA stays the same so, you're already braced for the worst! There's nothing bad that can come from it. So that's a plus.

13286 karma

@"Leah M B" lol just make it as confusing as possible woo! I’ll call and see what they say. Hopefully it’s all easy to resolve, idk how much more of this application process I can take haha

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I would be really careful as well so that it will not become a C&F issue Be sure to keep all your records of what's happening. Especially if it does make your GPA jump.

13286 karma

@stepharizona said:
    I would be really careful as well so that it will not become a C&F issue Be sure to keep all your records of what's happening. Especially if it does make your GPA jump.

This is what I’m most scared of. That’s why I’m not sure if I should call each individual school or what...

13286 karma

@stepharizona , you were right. If I didn't call and update this, it could have turned into a huge C&F issue according to the LSAC.

@"Leah M B" The lady on the phone wasn't quite sure how it would play out. She thinks the "W's" will be removed for sure, which will move my GPA a bit. She's unclear on the F's but told me to send it in asap.

I'm not sure how much more of this I can take haha This is a harder test than the LSAT!