Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long did it take you do be able to complete a LG?

booyboobooyboo Alum Member

I've just started the LG section of the CC and I can't even set up the board game correctly in some of the questions. When did you start seeing improvement?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@booyboo said:
    I've just started the LG section of the CC and I can't even set up the board game correctly in some of the questions. When did you start seeing improvement?

Like you, I started off not even being able to set up a game board. Once I started using 7Sage and went through the LG CC, I saw results almost immediately. I wasn't amazing or anywhere close to good off the bat, but I learned to diagram games and then little by little how to approach the problems and make inferences. Go slow and don't be afraid to re-watch a lesson or LG explanations 10 times in a row. For me, sometimes that's what it took before it finally clicked.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

It truly blows my mind when I chat with some who did well on the LG section of his/her diagnostic test. There was nothing intuitive for me about setting up a diagram to better unpack the rules of a game. However, with time, it gets far easier, and you begin to move faster and more confidently as you become familiar with the different game types. Of course, as @"Alex Divine" has mentioned, the CC videos will help enormously with this...and people like us just need to realize that the rewind and repeat buttons are our best friends! :smile:

For me, it was important to provide myself with time to simply play around with setting up boards for different scenarios. To often (yes, even during practice sessions) I would be working on a board, glance at my watch, and then frantically "finish" my game board so that I could move onto the questions. The turning point was giving permission to myself to patiently and curiously play around with the elements of the game board, so that I had a better understanding of how a type of game, and thus the board, worked as a whole. Since then, I've found it way easier to set up my board quickly and accurately!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Took me about a year. Mind you i could barely get 2 or 3 questions right when i stsrted. After a couple months of the lg bible leading up to my first 140 diagnostic, I would go 5 out of 23.

• tstap1271tstap1271 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Repetition repetition repetition. Take your time at first. Don't watch the clock. Just think through the game. Once you're able to start identifying the game then work to improve the inferences you're able to make from the rules.

If your having issues with questions that don't give additional criteria, nice to questions that do then go back after you've opened up some other inferences.

• 193 karma

I loved to play Puzzle Baron's Logic Puzzles before I started LSAT studying. It is exactly like the LG section, but is set up to show relationships, and how things affect other game pieces. That helped me initially understand what type of board I would need once I started studying. I do well on LG, but I practiced a lot, and I really like 7sage's advice. It helped with my timing, and it gave me a lot of good advice for (quickly) setting up boards and shorthand notes. Check out the book on amazon. I think it's like about $12, and there are several. I also play Sudoku, and that helped some also. It teaches again how to see relationships. Puzzle Barons is written similar to the LSAT LG, so I think that would benefit you more if you want a bit of extra help.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I agree! It takes time, and by that I especially mean giving yourself the time as you go through questions to not worry about the clock. Take your time in beginning of the question, draw all possible worlds, talk out loud, draw all inferences, even if they seem obvious, etc, etc. Putting in the time up front---now, when you're starting--is going to make a difference down the line.