Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-law advisor- bad advice?

olioliberolioliber Alum Member
in General 729 karma

Hello,
I just went to a pre-law advisor in order to have my essays and resume reviewed. I have done quite extensive research beforehand on how to write them and what to include. The, very nice guy, told me to delete half of my resumé and not to include things like interests, or Dean's list; while sipping coffee from a blue Cooley Law cup. I hoped he would give me some valuable advice, but I have a gut feeling not to follow most of his revisions.
My question is: I only have one more person who can read my essays. Are any of you willing to read and help me proof read them?
English is not my first language and I'm aware I make a lot of mistakes I can't catch myself.

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

You'll probably want to take the admissions course. It'll provide helpful advice.

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    You'll probably want to take the admissions course. It'll provide helpful advice.

I can't afford it:(

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@olioliber You can inquire for payment options. I opted to pay in installments which made it more affordable for me!

5254 karma

Then for now there's several archived admissions webinars available.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to-personal-statements.html

I dont see anything wrong with including dean's list and just keep your interests to two lines maximum

edited January 2018 729 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Then for now there's several archived admissions webinars available.

I already have my essays written. I just need an opinion. Also, I went through all of the available to me webinars.

5254 karma

@westcoastbestcoast, For installments was it 1. Starter, 2. Premium, 3. Ultimate, 4. Ultimate+ or something else?

5254 karma

@olioliber, Good work, then. That's a lot of webinars. :)

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@lsatplaylist I meant paying for one of the admissions packages in a monthly basis. Not talking about the LSAT packages.

729 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to-personal-statements.html

I dont see anything wrong with including dean's list and just keep your interests to two lines maximum

Haha my personal was literally: fluent in Polish and enjoys practicing yoga and cooking

3652 karma

@olioliber that's great. maybe even specify the specific dishes you like to cook and the type of yoga ie bikram and hatha yoga, cooking Mediterranean dishes

729 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    @olioliber that's great. maybe even specify the specific dishes you like to cook and the type of yoga ie bikram and hatha yoga, cooking Mediterranean dishes

The point here is that my awesome advisor told me to cross it all out :open_mouth:

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Different schools of thoughts.Personally I didn't include dean list because on the application there was a separate category for that. What did you list as your interests? Were you told to remove the entire section or to rewrite it?

729 karma

@10000019 said:
    Different schools of thoughts.Personally I didn't include dean list because on the application there was a separate category for that. What did you list as your interests? Were you told to remove the entire section or to rewrite it?

Practicing yoga and cooking. He said not to include any interests, or 3 last semesters Dean's list.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@olioliber said:

@10000019 said:

Practicing yoga and cooking. He said not to include any interests, or 3 last semesters Dean's list.

If you just wrote " Interests: Yoga, Cooking" then I could see why he would suggest to remove it. I think law school resumes are weird, and people who don't have experience in the field shouldn't be giving advice. Even among the 'pros' there are disagreements, but at that point I don't think it makes a huge difference.

To give an example, I was told by a professional consultant to remove my GPA (which was solid) from my resume. The reasoning was that my GPA is posted in a ton of other spots, and it was just taking up space.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@olioliber said:
    Hello,
    I just went to a pre-law advisor in order to have my essays and resume reviewed. I have done quite extensive research beforehand on how to write them and what to include. The, very nice guy, told me to delete half of my resumé and not to include things like interests, or Dean's list; while sipping coffee from a blue Cooley Law cup. I hoped he would give me some valuable advice, but I have a gut feeling not to follow most of his revisions.
    My question is: I only have one more person who can read my essays. Are any of you willing to read and help me proof read them?
    English is not my first language and I'm aware I make a lot of mistakes I can't catch myself.

This is wrong. You should absolutely include deans list. Interest sections really aren't important but I don't think they're necessarily bad to have either.

The fact he was sipping coffee from a Cooley Law cup says it all. My pre-law advisor told me (3.92 GPA, AA URM, decent softs) that I should be applying to schools like SUNY Buffalo law school. They are notorious for giving out some pretty objectively awful advice.

729 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@olioliber said:
    Hello,

This is wrong. You should absolutely include deans list. Interest sections really aren't important but I don't think they're necessarily bad to have either.

The fact he was sipping coffee from a Cooley Law cup says it all. My pre-law advisor told me (3.92 GPA, AA URM, decent softs) that I should be applying to schools like SUNY Buffalo law school. They are notorious for giving out some pretty objectively awful advice.

I feel bad for the students who go without any self-research and lose big because of the pre-law turds of wisdom

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@olioliber said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@olioliber said:
    Hello,

I feel bad for the students who go without any self-research and lose big because of the pre-law turds of wisdom

God, that's such a good point. I feel so awful for all of the students who don't know any better. I can't imagine all those with wonderful GPAs who never even knew they had a chance. Or, those who ended up getting awful advice that destroyed their chances at the schools they wanted to attend.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@olioliber said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@olioliber said:
    Hello,

God, that's such a good point. I feel so awful for all of the students who don't know any better. I can't imagine all those with wonderful GPAs who never even knew they had a chance. Or, those who ended up getting awful advice that destroyed their chances at the schools they wanted to attend.

It's not just pre-law advisors unfortunately. I can remember the careers service at my last school telling me that I had no hope of getting on to a postgrad law course without legal work experience... despite me having turned down a law postgrad offer to attend their school.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Rigid Designator" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@olioliber said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@olioliber said:
    Hello,

It's not just pre-law advisors unfortunately. I can remember the careers service at my last school telling me that I had no hope of getting on to a postgrad law course without legal work experience... despite me having turned down a law postgrad offer to attend their school.

That's another great point. I luckily don't have any experience with that but it's nothing short of a travesty. :(

edited January 2018 3652 karma

@olioliber said:

@"surfy surf" said:

The point here is that my awesome advisor told me to cross it all out :open_mouth:

I highly doubt admissions would care if you didn't include interests, but I think it is a nice humanizing touch to your resume. Who knows, maybe the person reading your resume also speaks Polish and does yoga and that subconsciously influences them to admit you. Including a foreign language that you speak is a great soft factor and should always be included, I'm surprised he told you to take that out.

729 karma

Agree!

5254 karma

@westcoastbestcoast, Good to know. Thanks.

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

@olioliber said:

@lsatplaylist said:

I can't afford it:(

The basic admissions course with all the relevant info is like $15.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I assume the Dean's List thing only takes up 1 line.
    Mine just says something like
    Dean's List: Fall 2014 - Present

I imagine the most lengthy it could really be would be
    Dean's List: Fall 2014, Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2017. Otherwise, you wind up with a streak and can shorten it down if needed to fit it on one line.

The interests are nice to include as a nice personal touch. Part of me wishes I had thought to list juggling on my resume as an interest when I applied. It has always been an interest, but I just didn't think to put it on my resume before I applied. I have been getting back into it lately and I think it could make for a more visceral image of who I am in the adcoms mind.

729 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I assume the Dean's List thing only takes up 1 line.
    Mine just says something like
    Dean's List: Fall 2014 - Present

I imagine the most lengthy it could really be would be
    Dean's List: Fall 2014, Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2017. Otherwise, you wind up with a streak and can shorten it down if needed to fit it on one line.

The interests are nice to include as a nice personal touch. Part of me wishes I had thought to list juggling on my resume as an interest when I applied. It has always been an interest, but I just didn't think to put it on my resume before I applied. I have been getting back into it lately and I think it could make for a more visceral image of who I am in the adcoms mind.

I only put Dean's list last 3 semesters or sth in that sense. The interests are important in case you get an interview. They just give something for the interviewer to discuss with you!

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

Many schools post several exemplary resumes, and sometimes even personal statements of admitted students. Try navigating through Admissions sections of your prospective schools and look for such examples. Also that advice by your advisor, at least as far as Dean's list goes, is bogus. In the application directions, most of the schools tell you directly that they want you to include all your academic honors and distinctions.

729 karma

I agree:)