Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-LSAT related: Talk about yourself!!!

lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
edited February 2018 in Off-topic 894 karma

Hello everyone! This thread doesn't really have anything to do with the test haha. I just wanted to share that a lot of the time when I come on websites like 7sage & TLS, I get a bit anxious especially if I'm not having a very good studying day myself or if I'm just not in a confident mood. One of my friends taking the MCAT began crying after reading a forum on Student Doctor Network and having a stressed day. Haha so I'm guessing certain reactions to sites like these is somewhat common.

SO, I wanted to start a thread learning more about ya'll besides law school stuff since I've been on 7sage for over a year now and don't know much about anyone besides their ballpark PT score and personal statement glimpses...

Anyways, I'm 21 years old. I just graduated in the class of 2017 and I live in nyc. When I'm not studying, I like to read. I'm really into feminism and critical theory regarding gender studies and sociology. I also enjoy reading the New Yorker. I spend three days a week at the gym and I'm obsessed with skincare. Haha like essential oils and moisturizing creams. Sephora is like a sanctuary to me. I'm also a huge film junkie! I minored in film studies. I mostly love foreign films and avantgarde/experimental movies! English is my native language but I can also speak Mandarin-Chinese and have been studying/learning French alongside my LSAT studying.

Finally, if anyone would wanna respond introducing themselves (though I understand if you'd like to remain anonymous) and their interests and etc, I would really love that!!!! <3 And also tell me what your favorite movie is!! Mine is Ghost World dir. Terry Zwigoff.

Comments

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    edited January 2018 399 karma

Hey there!

I hope 7Sage brings comfort to your studies! I know what you mean about forum anxiety. TLS, Reddit, and other sites can definitely bring you down. But, I find the 7Sage community to be the most supportive and productive. Rarely do I find people moping or complaining in the community, and if people do mope, typically other members try to build the person up.

I find some of your interests very, well, interesting! I was an English major in undergrad, so I am well aware of critical theory. I wrote multiple papers in feminist critical theory as well, which caught a lot of my colleagues and professors off guard considering I'm a male, lol. The future lawyer in me could not help but to see the inequities in the novels we read; it just so happened a lot of those inequities were directed towards women.

I enjoy politics, current events, philosophy, and reading the economist. My guilty pleasure is Netflix (currently watching Black Mirror. Not exactly a movie, but the episodes have story arcs that mimic movie story arcs).

However, the bulk of free time is typically dedicated to the LSAT.

P.S. - I find your username equally awesome and disturbing :smiley:

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@"J.CHRIS.ALST" said:
    I enjoy politics, current events, philosophy, and reading the economist. My guilty pleasure is Netflix (currently watching Black Mirror. Not exactly a movie, but the episodes have story arcs that mimic movie story arcs).

I've been binging the heck out of this and I have a single gif that can sum up what Black Mirror is about for anyone that's wondering...

https://78.media.tumblr.com/c490f60d13a82bbe80627dd8f90136b4/tumblr_inline_p1wkr6RHyT1u5kztw_540.gif

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Hey, so I'm an open book and if you read my posts you probably already know a bit about me.

I'm 28 years old. I am a Marine Corps veteran. I'm a huge video game nerd - currently playing Monster Hunter World - and I love to run. Now that my applications have been submitted, I'm actually going to try and get back into running! (lol I gained almost 40 lbs between quitting smoking and replacing working out with LSAT) I prefer cross-country type running. I'm lucky because I live near a lot of beautiful trails!

I majored in political science and live in the Bay Area. My favorite movie of all time would have to be either "The D.I." or "Twelve Angry Men".

At work I have dual monitors so 7Sage is always open, and I'm always looking to help/motivate someone else! 7Sage has become a hobby in its own right!

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

@"J.CHRIS.ALST" I totally agree with what you said about the moping. And I've been recommended Black Mirror many times. But I'm a sucker for rewatching old shows I like instead of trying to watch new shows. Like I'm currently rewatching the Dexter series for a fourth time. Your interests are cool. I enjoy those things as well although less so about reading The Economist. Hahaha. My favorite philosopher is probably Henri Lefebvre as I'm really interested in the concept of "the everyday."

Awesome you've written such essays in undergrad. Judith Butler is one of my favorite feminist critical theorists. And I agree about my username haha. Lady Macbeth is definitely one of the most scary and powerful women in literature. The scariest in all of Shakespeare, imo.

edited January 2018 894 karma

@LSATcantwin I've never heard of that video game but then again I don't know anything about gaming. I totally feel the part of what you said about sacrificing gym sessions and running for LSAT studying. But holy shit! 40 pounds is a lot!!!!! Haha sorry! I'm kinda jealous. I had pneumonia and was bedridden for weeks and lost the little gains I made at the gym and was so upset by It. It's hard for me to gain weight (natural ectomorph here) so I try to drink powder daily and lift to compensate. Running itself is something I feel is necessary for me sometimes haha, like kickboxing -- It just centers me. I've never heard of The DI either but 12 Angry Men is a classic and a must-watch for everyone, imo.

Also, I think it's awesome what you said about always being on 7sage. I feel nowadays a lot of people do what you do, but with social media like Instagram & Facebook -- which I think is a bit toxic. I recently deactivated my Instagram and Facebook. I also just try to stay away from social media in general and find my news from Apple News or Twitter. So, spending time here over social media is obviously beneficial and preferred.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

I'm 25 and live in Oklahoma with my parents wooooo! Actually would not have it any other way because they are awesome and very funny people. My mom has recently gotten into baking "healthy" snacks, like stuff where you don't use eggs and sugar and flour but garbanzo beans instead. So that's a fun treat.

I jumped around in undergrad quite a lot, had a lot of different interests, and couldn't decide on a major. Ultimately decided to do a create-your-own interdisciplinary major by combining Comm Studies and Global Politics degrees. I was also pre-med for awhile, so I ended up with a biology minor and also one in French from when I studied abroad. I was a pretty inactive college student to be honest, in that I was not really involved with any clubs or societies. BUT I did have the most wonderful PT job on campus at our all-classical radio station. I worked there as a program host for four years and it was the best experience ever and I miss it still.

I love love love to travel and spent the better part of the last 2.5-3 years abroad, mostly in France. I love to read sad books about WWII, though I am a fan of many genres, fiction and nonfiction. I try to do yoga regularly and will be going to Thailand this summer to complete a teacher training. I also enjoy listening to podcasts, WTF with Marc Maron is a favorite. I so wish I could play an instrument proficiently, but I've pretty much tried and failed with the flute, piano, and guitar, though I still am holding out hope that a gifted cellist lives within me.

When I'm not studying for the LSAT, I am usually either tutoring, writing articles for an online writing job (Think: "5 High-Paying Careers for People Who Dislike Interacting with Others" kind of thing), waitressing, or researching creative ways of making money on Craigslist. I have found some real winners there.

I also waste a great deal of time watching dance tutorial videos on YouTube, though I have never made an effort of actually learning the dance.

Like @LSATcantwin said, 7sage has also become something of a hobby, even if I don't post super regularly. I love keeping up with people on here and following their application/admissions/studying journeys. Such a positive and supportive atmosphere!

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    399 karma

When I'm not studying for the LSAT, I am usually either tutoring, writing articles for an online writing job (Think: "5 High-Paying Careers for People Who Dislike Interacting with Others" kind of thing), waitressing, or researching creative ways of making money on Craigslist. I have found some real winners there.

Ok, so I have been legitimately considering doing some writing for money. Mind if I ask how you got started with that?

Like @LSATcantwin said, 7sage has also become something of a hobby, even if I don't post super regularly. I love keeping up with people on here and following their application/admissions/studying journeys. Such a positive and supportive atmosphere!

I agree with this entirely. I typically check the forum once a day at least. It really helps you feel that you are not going it alone.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

Hey guys!

For those of you who don't know me and have yet to find me on Facebook... :)

My name is Alex, I'm from NYC, and I graduated from undergrad in 2015 with a degree in Economics/History.

My current job takes up most of my time and the rest of my free time usually goes into the community here and my LSAT prep. Other hobbies include: chess, reading, playing music, anything related to finance/making money, office supplies, and learning new things that challenge me whenever I get the chance.

Overall, I live a pretty ascetic lifestyle. The Spartans weren't big on amenities.

At work, I also have dual monitors and the Lenovo laptops they issue us. One monitor has 7Sage open and the other WallStreet Oasis/LawSchoolLife. The laptop has Excel, and that's my day.

I am a big believer in personal responsibility, discipline, and hard work.

Favorite movie is Good Will Hunting. I grew up in foster care like Will Hunting, and that movie really resonated with me.

I plan on taking both the LSAT and GMAT and applying for JD/MBA programs.

https://imgur.com/vBZZdN2

Actual picture/Instagram of me doing work. Very rare.

• TaylorAnnTaylorAnn Free Trial Member
    202 karma

@"Alex Divine" Just found you on facebook! :)

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

29 yr old Air Force vet. Majored in biology and returned this fall from a year of teaching English in South Korea. Teaching was kind of my own graduation gift and I was able to travel a little bit as well while I was over there.

Been coming to 7sage since September but usually lurk. I do enjoy reading everyone's posts though. At first I used to think LSATcantwin and Alex Divine were secretly employees of 7sage pretending to be normal members of the community haha

894 karma

@"Alex Divine" Just added you on Facebook! Your last name is cool. I didn't think It was a real last name lol I thought It was just some screen name you made up. Haha after reading your post, I was ready for you to say Wolf of Wall Street was your favorite movie but I'm pleasantly surprised! Good Will Hunting is another cult-classic. I'd say i live a pretty ascetic life style as well. No drinking, under the radar social life, etc.

I've also always wanted to learn to play chess and be good at It. I also chuckled at "office supplies," cause I was telling someone the other day how stores like Staples kind of put me at ease, like supermarkets. When you walk through them there's just some sort of calmness lol unless it's Trader Joe's. That place always gives me anxiety. I also really like Japanese stationary stores. There's a cool one in nyc called Muji.

Haha also loving the WallStreet Oasis/7Sage/LawSchoolLife dualities and the Patagonia/Brooks Brothers snap. Very bro.

894 karma

@"mickey.caleb" Omg! What's South Korea like? Did you also get to visit Japan and other countries in Asia? Have always wanted to see SoKo & Japan.

What's the difference between the way children learn here vs there? Difference you've noticed in work ethic? I heard South Korea is very firm on kids going to school to the point where It drives the children to having major depression. I also heard that during college exam day like the SAT, planes aren't allowed to be flown in the sky. Nonetheless, I assume discipline is very much emphasized in the education there.

894 karma

@LindsMitch said:
    I'm 25 and live in Oklahoma with my parents wooooo! Actually would not have it any other way because they are awesome and very funny people. My mom has recently gotten into baking "healthy" snacks, like stuff where you don't use eggs and sugar and flour but garbanzo beans instead. So that's a fun treat.

I live with my mother as well but unfortunately don't feel the same way about her cooking. My mom cooks mostly vegetables and low-calorie dishes and I'm a voracious carnivore. I've also been trying to gain some weight so her cooking is kinda annoying to me! I just ordered a convection oven so I can make my own chicken nuggets and toast hahaha.

• AlexAlex Alum Member

@"lady macbeth" said:
    @"Alex Divine" Just added you on Facebook! Your last name is cool. I didn't think It was a real last name lol I thought It was just some screen name you made up. Haha after reading your post, I was ready for you to say Wolf of Wall Street was your favorite movie but I'm pleasantly surprised! Good Will Hunting is another cult-classic. I'd say i live a pretty ascetic life style as well. No drinking, under the radar social life, etc.

I've also always wanted to learn to play chess and be good at It. I also chuckled at "office supplies," cause I was telling someone the other day how stores like Staples kind of put me at ease, like supermarkets. When you walk through them there's just some sort of calmness lol unless it's Trader Joe's. That place always gives me anxiety. I also really like Japanese stationary stores. There's a cool one in nyc called Muji.

Haha also loving the WallStreet Oasis/7Sage/LawSchoolLife dualities and the Patagonia/Brooks Brothers snap. Very bro.

Haha!! Wolf of Wall Street would have been a great guess (and it's up there!), but Good Will Hunting --- btw totally a cult-classic --- will always have a very special place in my heart.

Yeah Alex Divine is actually my real name, haha. Does a better last name exist, lol?

Chess is actually something I've played since I was like seven. I love chess more than anything and in an ideal world perhaps I'd be a grandmaster and be a professional. But I'm too pragmatic for that sort of thing.

Shopping for office supplies and stationary is so calming. And nothing gives me anxiety like walking through Trader Joe's alone, especially on Saturdays when it's packed.

I love Muji! I actually went to the one on 5th ave about a month ago. It really appeals to the minimalist in me!

"Patagonia/Brooks Brothers snap. Very bro."

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you. You get IT. You just get it .... :bawling:

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Good Will Hunting is a solid movie. :]

Robin Williams <3

894 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Yeah Alex Divine is actually my real name, haha. Does a better last name exist, lol?

You're right. "Divine" is definitely up there. I know a kid whose last name is Boss. I also know a guy whose name is Nosmoking (pronounced noz-ma-king) cause when his mom was in labor, the first thing she saw was a No Smoking sign in the delivery room. That's one of my fave things to tell ppl, btw.

Chess is actually something I've played since I was like seven. I love chess more than anything and in an ideal world perhaps I'd be a grandmaster and be a professional. But I'm too pragmatic for that sort of thing.

Next Bobby Fischer. I can totally picture It.

I love Muji! I actually went to the one on 5th ave about a month ago. It really appeals to the minimalist in me!

Haha awesome! There's a place in Queens called Morning Glory that I've been going to since I was a kid but it's a bit girly so idk if you've ever been. I love the stuffed animals there too haha. And socks.

edited January 2018 3072 karma

Do you really have a friend named, 'Nosmoking'? Please be serious cuz that could be one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

894 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    Do you really have a friend named, 'Nosmoking'? Please be serious cuz that could be one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Haha he's not my friend. Just someone I know of.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey guys!

My name is Alex, I'm from NYC, and I graduated from undergrad in 2015 with a degree in Economics/History.

My current job takes up most of my time and the rest of my free time usually goes into the community here and my LSAT prep. Other hobbies include: chess, reading, playing music, anything related to finance/making money, office supplies, and learning new things that challenge me whenever I get the chance.

Overall, I live a pretty ascetic lifestyle. The Spartans weren't big on amenities.

At work, I also have dual monitors and the Lenovo laptops they issue us. One monitor has 7Sage open and the other WallStreet Oasis/LawSchoolLife. The laptop has Excel, and that's my day.

Favorite movie is Good Will Hunting. I grew up in foster care like Will Hunting, and that movie really resonated with me.

Good fashion bro.

3072 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:

@goingfor99th said:

Haha he's not my friend. Just someone I know of.

Noz-ma-king...

Points to mom for creativity.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey guys!

Good fashion bro.

...And a pair of Allen Edmond "deal sleds" to go with it.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"mickey.caleb" said:
    29 yr old Air Force vet. Majored in biology and returned this fall from a year of teaching English in South Korea. Teaching was kind of my own graduation gift and I was able to travel a little bit as well while I was over there.

Been coming to 7sage since September but usually lurk. I do enjoy reading everyone's posts though. At first I used to think LSATcantwin and Alex Divine were secretly employees of 7sage pretending to be normal members of the community haha

Hahahahaha, Alex and I are both really active users. I am not employed by 7Sage though!!

@"Alex Divine" I can’t speak for you...are you an undercover 7Sage employee?! Haha

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

You're right. "Divine" is definitely up there. I know a kid whose last name is Boss. I also know a guy whose name is Nosmoking (pronounced noz-ma-king) cause when his mom was in labor, the first thing she saw was a No Smoking sign in the delivery room. That's one of my fave things to tell ppl, btw.

Next Bobby Fischer. I can totally picture It.

Haha awesome! There's a place in Queens called Morning Glory that I've been going to since I was a kid but it's a bit girly so idk if you've ever been. I love the stuffed animals there too haha. And socks.

lady macbeth, you are my new favorite 7Sager... I hope we go to the same law school so we can discuss paper, awesome movies, and people we know with crazy names.

edited January 2018 3788 karma

Im 25. Cali resident. Love star wars, starcraft and other good sci fi. Lifting is fun, I also enjoy long walks on California beachs. It's mid 80s in california and enjoying the winter at the moment. This is starting to read like a dating site description. Hmmm..

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"mickey.caleb" said:

Hahahahaha, Alex and I are both really active users. I am not employed by 7Sage though!!

@"Alex Divine" I can’t speak for you...are you an undercover 7Sage employee?! Haha

Haha... I wish, but

https://media.giphy.com/media/T6oYrwgWZINFu/giphy.gif

I just love 7Sage and the entire community so much after many long and terrible years on TLS.

Im 25. Cali resident. Love star wars, starcraft and other good sci fi. Lifting is fun, I also enjoy long walks on California beachs. It's mid 80s in california and enjoying the winter at the moment. This is starting to read like a dating site description. Hmmm..

Hahahaha. The "I enjoy long walks on the beach" line is very dating-site-esque. And that's super cool about Star Wars! I have the biggest fucking crush on Adam Driver. Can't believe Lena Dunham got to make out with him before me. But it's cool. I'M NOT HATING.

You guys wanna see what I do? lol

https://i.imgur.com/nAnwmYj.jpg
    (That's my coworker--he's crazy.)

Well, at least that's been part of what I do. Anyone want to take a guess as to my job or what that's a picture of? lulz

3788 karma

Yeah i could tell that the last jedi scene with buff kylo was added for the female fanbase. Definitely a source of inspiration for my workouts

@"lady macbeth" said:

Hahahaha. The "I enjoy long walks on the beach" line is very dating-site-esque. And that's super cool about Star Wars! I have the biggest fucking crush on Adam Driver. Can't believe Lena Dunham got to make out with him before me. But it's cool. I'M NOT HATING.

894 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey guys!

Good fashion bro.

Yeah honestly that outfit (+ your description of excel, WSO, & finance etc) has "I just FINESSED a free coffee/croissant before I clocked in today. READY to build this financial model. Got money on my mind and mind on money" written all over It.

894 karma

@goingfor99th said:

Well, at least that's been part of what I do. Anyone want to take a guess as to my job or what that's a picture of? lulz

Omg! Is that poop?

3072 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:

@goingfor99th said:

Omg! Is that poop?

Yep!

That was a wonderful day, let me tell you! I won't be too explicit, but what's pouring out of that truck is not what normally pours out of that truck. It's usually much more watery.

894 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@"lady macbeth" said:

@goingfor99th said:

Omg! Is that poop?

Yep!

That was a wonderful day, let me tell you! I won't be too explicit, but what's pouring out of that truck is not what normally pours out of that truck. It's usually much more watery.

Hahahahaa I'm cracking up. I assumed that's what It was considering It looked too organic to be cement. I died that you added "it's usually much more watery." Anyways, I'm going to guess you either work at a park, hardware store, or an occupation involving septic tanks.

That photo reminds me of that movie RV with Robin Williams where he takes his family on a trip and tries to fix the toilet or something and gets that all over him.

• AlexAlex Alum Member

@"lady macbeth" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey guys!

Good fashion bro.

Yeah honestly that outfit (+ your description of excel, WSO, & finance etc) has "I just FINESSED a free coffee/croissant before I clocked in today. READY to build this financial model. Got money on my mind and mind on money" written all over It.

Too accurate. Do you work in finance as well @"lady macbeth" ?

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"lady macbeth" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey guys!

Good fashion bro.

No way. I don't work in finance lol. I've just dated a handful of finance bros to know how most of them operate. Lesson(s) learned.
    https://i.imgur.com/DxVj6zM.jpg

• AlexAlex Alum Member

@"lady macbeth" :joy:

Ha! I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way.

We have our own issues with dating...

https://imgur.com/tgli2yh

894 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Hahaha omg. One of my best friends works in PR and worked with Equinox for a bit and got fired after sleeping with one of the members/clients cause their policy is like super stringent against that haha unlike other gyms. But that’s a funny starter pack hahaha.

• stormstorm Member
    261 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"lady macbeth" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey guys!

Good fashion bro.

No way. I don't work in finance lol. I've just dated a handful of finance bros to know how most of them operate. Lesson(s) learned.

The level to which I relate to your meme is amazing.

I'm Storm, also live in NYC (Harlem for New Yorkers). I'm 23 (24 in 2 weeks, so an aquarius).

I studied international affairs in data journalism in New York, but began college at a conservatory for musical theatre out in Ohio. Experienced lots of #metoo movement-releated stuff at the school and had to get out and understand how it was not being legally challenged.

I began working in the non-profit sector FT in May 2016 and then switched to the dark side this fall. I'm an analyst at an ad agency for under armour. @"Alex Divine", we should laugh about their stocks and excel (though thankfully I get to also use SQL a bunch, which keeps me much more sane). On the side I do volunteer work and what not.

Hoping to stay in NYC for law school (applying for fall '19 acceptance) as my longterm boyfriend is going very likely going to med school here starting in the fall.

I'm a public interest junky at heart and will definitely pursue that route in law school, ideally focusing more on high-impact litigation than direct-service (though I might need to pay my dues and do a few years of direct-service work first). Also curious about clerkships and con law. So excited to dive into in a year and a half.

My name is actually Storm. I was born during a blizzard. For fun, I love doing pottery on the wheel (haven't had much time recently), running and singing in my bathroom when my roommates aren't home (you can leave musical theatre, but it never leaves you).

These forums will definitely keep me active and also off of social media when studying. So I'll be around a bunch throughout the studying - if not application - process I assume.

• TaylorAnnTaylorAnn Free Trial Member
    202 karma

@"Alex Divine" what ethnicity are you if you don't mind me asking :smile:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Hahaha omg. One of my best friends works in PR and worked with Equinox for a bit and got fired after sleeping with one of the members/clients cause their policy is like super stringent against that haha unlike other gyms. But that’s a funny starter pack hahaha.

LMAO! #dead :joy:

• AlexAlex Alum Member

@TaylorAnn said:
    @"Alex Divine" what ethnicity are you if you don't mind me asking :smile:

I don't actually know my birth parents. But I'm black/mixed with something. On that Obama/Drake light-skin-flow, lmao.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@stormNYC Awesome name!

I'd love to chat stocks and excel! I really like the Under Armor brand, they make quality stuff.

Re: SQL. Definitely sounds preferable than working solely in Excel/Powerpoint.

@stormNYC said:

@"lady macbeth" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"lady macbeth" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Hey guys!

Good fashion bro.

The level to which I relate to your meme is amazing.

I'm Storm, also live in NYC (Harlem for New Yorkers). I'm 23 (24 in 2 weeks, so an aquarius).

I studied international affairs in data journalism in New York, but began college at a conservatory for musical theatre out in Ohio. Experienced lots of #metoo movement-releated stuff at the school and had to get out and understand how it was not being legally challenged.

I began working in the non-profit sector FT in May 2016 and then switched to the dark side this fall. I'm an analyst at an ad agency for under armour. @"Alex Divine", we should laugh about their stocks and excel (though thankfully I get to also use SQL a bunch, which keeps me much more sane). On the side I do volunteer work and what not.

Hoping to stay in NYC for law school (applying for fall '19 acceptance) as my longterm boyfriend is going very likely going to med school here starting in the fall.

I'm a public interest junky at heart and will definitely pursue that route in law school, ideally focusing more on high-impact litigation than direct-service (though I might need to pay my dues and do a few years of direct-service work first). Also curious about clerkships and con law. So excited to dive into in a year and a half.

My name is actually Storm. I was born during a blizzard. For fun, I love doing pottery on the wheel (haven't had much time recently), running and singing in my bathroom when my roommates aren't home (you can leave musical theatre, but it never leaves you).

These forums will definitely keep me active and also off of social media when studying. So I'll be around a bunch throughout the studying - if not application - process I assume.

Haha love your name! Mine’s Sunny. Super cool that you live in Harlem. My bf lives there by 135th and i like it there a lot! Also congrats to your bf on med school. Crazy difficult and laborious.

I also studied journalism in college. And I’ve heard the drama at theatrical arts programs is realllllllllll!

3788 karma

Im sensing some good chemistry amongst our fellow 7sagers. @"Alex Divine" @"lady macbeth" Maybe 7sage should make a dating app for lsaters. Those with higher scores get more swipes

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"J.CHRIS.ALST" said:
    Ok, so I have been legitimately considering doing some writing for money. Mind if I ask how you got started with that?

Yes! Definitely can be lucrative if you can get lucky (which is code for apply for a million writing jobs and be willing to work for pennies before landing something worthwhile).

Currently I'm working as a freelance writer/editor for Study.com. It's a pretty sweet gig, I write these educational blog articles over a range of topics, like degree comparison articles, what types of careers different personalities should pursue, etc. I can work at my leisure and from anywhere, with no specific output required, so really it is very lucky. I just checked and it doesn't look like they are hiring for my position at the moment, but there are some other contract positions available that may be of interest to you. https://study.com/pages/Contractors.html

Other than that, I also have found freelance work through UpWork...but like I said, you will likely find yourself with some crappy jobs at the beginning that you may have to take just to build up experience and positive reviews. But I've found pretty steady, well-paying work through there as well, just have to be consistent about looking and applying. When I was actively looking for writing gigs, I would probably apply for 10-12 projects a day and maybe hear back from one or two. But that's just kind of how it goes in the freelance world ... sometimes applying for jobs feels like a job. But once you find a consistent position, it is pretty nice to be so flexible! Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

OH! I also subscribe to this "Freelance Writing: Morning Coffee Newsletter" which is an email that some guy sends out once a week or so with vetted writing jobs. Can be a good resource if you're looking for more steady positions.

@"lady macbeth" said:

@goingfor99th said:

@"lady macbeth" said:

@goingfor99th said:

Omg! Is that poop?

Yep!

Hahahahaa I'm cracking up. I assumed that's what It was considering It looked too organic to be cement. I died that you added "it's usually much more watery." Anyways, I'm going to guess you either work at a park, hardware store, or an occupation involving septic tanks.

That photo reminds me of that movie RV with Robin Williams where he takes his family on a trip and tries to fix the toilet or something and gets that all over him.

Yep, it's septic tank maintenance/installation. Good eye. :)

I haven't seen that but if it has Robin Williams in it then it must be worth a watch.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@goingfor99th Haha! I'm glad you could relate anyway :)

Besides, although your job may seem shitty (get it!? ;)), it probably beats the monotony of working in a cubicle. I miss working outdoors when it's super nice in the spring/summer :disappointed:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    @goingfor99th Haha! I'm glad you could relate anyway :)

Besides, although your job may seem shitty (get it!? ;)), it probably beats the monotony of working in a cubicle. I miss working outdoors when it's super nice in the spring/summer :disappointed:

Honestly, you're right. Once you get over the gross factor, it's actually an enjoyable job so long as it's not hot and humid and you have to dig up 10 manhole covers a day. It can also be a bit tricky eating lunch in the truck, but it's certainly nice to be outdoors when the weather cooperates.

Haha, I got it, btw. ;P

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

@"lady macbeth" said:
    @"mickey.caleb" Omg! What's South Korea like? Did you also get to visit Japan and other countries in Asia? Have always wanted to see SoKo & Japan.

What's the difference between the way children learn here vs there? Difference you've noticed in work ethic? I heard South Korea is very firm on kids going to school to the point where It drives the children to having major depression. I also heard that during college exam day like the SAT, planes aren't allowed to be flown in the sky. Nonetheless, I assume discipline is very much emphasized in the education there.

South Korea is quite westernized. You can get around with only English just fine. You can generally count on most people under 50 to have good English abilities and anyone around our ages will be quite easy to communicate with. They love to eat BBQ and they have a great disposition towards America. I was in and around Seoul mostly and while the country is still considered to be pretty homogeneous overall, the population is so large and the last ranking I saw had Seoul as the 6th most visited city in the world so you won't get stared at or anything.

There are populations in different areas of Seoul representing most areas in the world. I was also surprised at how many French people I ran into. They take their education very seriously... even having their first big entrance exam at the end of middle school to determine what level of high school they'll attend. They are fans of sports but participating in sports is not very high on their list of priorities. It is much more common to attend academies as an after school activity. These are basically schools they go to after their normal school. English and music academies are the most common through elementary and middle school and they try to become fluent before high school. Once they begin high school they switch over to math/science/ or some other academy that they feel is more pertinent towards helping them with their college exams.

They don't stop plane flights for exams haha Surprisingly, they have one of the least efficient forms of education in the world according to data that compares hours spent in the classroom to increases in performance in various subjects. They do score VERY high so it could just be that returns for time spent level off after so many hours but they just push through those periods anyways to get those little increases. The kids are kids just like anywhere in the world I think. They don't like that they have to be in school all the time but they find a way to goof around and act out their dramas during breaks or in the couple hours they might have in the evening. They are pushed pretty hard and it is true that the respect and discipline required during class hours is real. It's one thing they train all of us going over there to teach because most foreigners tend to have a more informal disposition coming in. It is quite common to have cameras in the classrooms and for the school administrators to be watching to make sure both the students AND the teachers are following the guidelines... heck, even parents have access to view it from home in some places. This definitely wasn't my favorite part of being there. It felt like it was more like me and the kids vs the administrators/parents haha

Getting into a good university is the equivalent of "making it" there and it's very common to have the friends they make from high school/ university to be the same group of friends/connections they have for life. It's how they get jobs and who they spend their time with forever. They tend to go wild once they get to college and with a lower drinking age and it being legal to drink in public really helps facilitate that. The country is small in terms of space and they are always within a short distance of all their family and friends.

And yes, I did get to visit Japan. Japan felt like a total 180 from Korea. Tokyo has more of an old European feel to it. Very courteous people but much harder to communicate as English is not a big priority in Japan compared to Korea.

Ok, I think i've written enough and it's time for bed. I hope you get a chance to visit there some time. Many people go alone and if you choose one of the guesthouses/hostels in the $20/night or less range you'll find TONS of other young people from around the world doing the same thing. Instant friend groups and you'll never run out of fun to have in Seoul. If you stay at places that are more expensive you'll be more likely to not find a crowd that you'd want to spend time with!

894 karma

Im sensing some good chemistry amongst our fellow 7sagers. @"Alex Divine" @"lady macbeth" Maybe 7sage should make a dating app for lsaters. Those with higher scores get more swipes

LOL wouldn't that be something. Likes long walks on the beach, check. Watches movies, check. Enjoys California sunset, check. Is an investment banker, wait!... reapply filter