Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CC; Valid Argument Form 8

toniafisher1toniafisher1 Member
in General 87 karma

In the example “All lions like to nap. Most lions like to eat meat. Therefore, some animals that like to eat meat also like to nap.”

I’m a little confused how we go from lions specifically to animals in general?

Comments

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited January 2018 1363 karma

Try mapping it out:

L -> N
    L -m-> M

So, that means (i) all L's are N's and (ii) most L's are M's.

L N M
    L N M
    L N
    L N
    L N M

As you can see, there will be at least some points at which M and N occur simultaneously. This implies that some N's must also be M's. In other words, some animals that like to eat meat also like to nap.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

Hello, the form itself is valid. Meaning there is indeed an inescapable some relationship between Napping and eating meat derived from the premises above.

The issue of the super set (animals) that encompasses the subset (lions) is something we will see on LR questions all the time. Lions are contained within the set of animals. So to say that some lions like to eat meat and nap is in and of itself to say that some/many/a few/ animals like to eat meat and nap. The LSAT does indeed count on us possessing this "common sense" knowledge.

There are a whole bunch of places to pause here and describe things in greater detail, but I believe that is the crux of the issue here.

David

• toniafisher1toniafisher1 Member
    edited January 2018 87 karma

Thanks......Guess I need to work on my ‘common sense’! Seriously, that helps to clarify and I want to make sure I understand this stuff. I appreciate it.

• 136 karma

Yes! It really is all about understanding sets that various things are a part of.
    If you have knowledge about "pencils," you have knowledge about SOME writing utensils.
    If you have knowledge about "carrots," you have knowledge about SOME vegetables.
    And so forth. You know about some animals, because you know about lions.
    Happy Studying!

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    edited January 2018 894 karma

When I used to get confused with the valid argument forms, I'd just draw them out in circles. Kind of like JY's bucket examples but i think drawing them out as venn diagrams helps me more visually.

https://i.imgur.com/Yqirhkp.jpg

Since all lions love napping, we see that in the set of creatures that nap -- lions are totally subsumed cuz they all love to do It. Most lions like eat meat, so out of the whole set of lions, most of them are part of the "I like meat" club. Thus, you can see that some creatures who love to nap, are also part of the "I like meat" club (shaded). Anyways, you can't draw the conclusion that most creatures who like meat also love napping because lets say you made bigger the "I like meat club" circle and most of that circle was not overlapped with the other two. You don't know how big the "I like meat" club is, so you can't draw the conclusion that most of them love napping. You can only draw the conclusion that some do because some just implies at least one.

In the beginning of my studies I drew these circles out often whenever I got confused but now have come to become familiar with and memorized all the argument forms.

• toniafisher1toniafisher1 Member
    87 karma

Thanks everyone!