Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consensus on this LG method?

In the "Logic Games Habits for Speed and Accuracy" section J.Y. lays out a particular approach.

As you start a new LG, always put your pencil down and read the stimulus, the indented set of rules, and the acceptable situation question (ASQ). Take some seconds to absorb the information. The ASQ's answers often reveal the game board. Visualize what the game board will look like. Then, pick up your pencil. Read the stimulus again. Jot down your game board.

Is this method meant to be used in all scenarios or just for practice (FP)? It seems that reading the stimulus/rules twice would really be a time suck, but I suppose if it gives a much deeper familiarity/understanding of the passage then it could be worth it. Is this method generally well-subscribed to in practice and test conditions?

Comments

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I personally don't re-read the stimulus, but i can see the value. I think try a single read and if you find yourself struggling with insufficient comprehension or forgetting things, go with JY.

I do think reading the ASQ is very wise. I used to jump roght into diagramming, and its a HUGE time-suck when you diagram something opposite of the way the question is organized. You either erase and start over with diagramming, or you have to mentally flip each option as you work thru, which slows you down and is a recipe for a sloppy error.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Mindful Monkey" said:
    In the "Logic Games Habits for Speed and Accuracy" section J.Y. lays out a particular approach.

As you start a new LG, always put your pencil down and read the stimulus, the indented set of rules, and the acceptable situation question (ASQ). Take some seconds to absorb the information. The ASQ's answers often reveal the game board. Visualize what the game board will look like. Then, pick up your pencil. Read the stimulus again. Jot down your game board.

Is this method meant to be used in all scenarios or just for practice (FP)? It seems that reading the stimulus/rules twice would really be a time suck, but I suppose if it gives a much deeper familiarity/understanding of the passage then it could be worth it. Is this method generally well-subscribed to in practice and test conditions?

This is 100% what you should be doing every single time you attempt a game. It will actually increase your speed/score with games because it will give you a chance to visualize the board and think about how you want to structure you diagram/digram your rules. The ASQ also gives you a good idea of what your set up should look like.

When you go into the diagramming already having an idea of what the game board will look like and how the rules will interact, you will be able to work through the game much more efficiently. I've also timed myself and the extra read through takes no more than :20 seconds.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4428 karma

Yes, time spent up front is almost always more efiicient than time spent later. If you are struggling through a question because you are not familiar with all the pieces or missed something in the setup it will take a lot longer than that reread.

Fundamentally, it isn't worth it to try to shave seconds off your time by rereading less. All the games sections can be completed fairly realistically in 30 minutes using both read throughs after you have developed your game skills with foolproofing. The reason it is sometimes hard to complete a section of games is that we miss critical inferences or make mistakes setting up the game board. Reading the stimulus and rules an extra time is a little bit of insurance against those kinds of errors which are the real time sinks.