Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Section 1 Jitters

Hello everyone,

I took my first test in December and ended up scoring 8 points lower than my PTs leading up to it (164 down to a 156).I had been taking my PTs under normal testing conditions so I thought that I was prepared for the test setting. When I assessed my answers I realized that I missed some insanely easy questions in the first section. I remembered being very anxious and rushing through, which then spilled over into the next section. It turned out that I missed 80% of my questions in those two sections.

I feel like this is the only thing that is holding me back. Recently I've been scoring in the upper 160s and I want to do whatever I can to stay consistent on test day.

What do you do to start the test off calm and collected?

Thanks

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I people watched. The testing site really is a great location to people watch and eavesdrop.

Others have found meditation or breathing exercises relaxing.

Right before the test you are just filling in the other parts of the scantron so I had practiced that enough to be comfortable with it.

A warm up earlier in the morning may also help.

Ultimately, try to treat it like just another PT and lower the emotional and psychological stakes a little. You can always take again if you need to. Schools look at the highest score. So this is really just an expensive PT which will count if things go well.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

I concur with just treating It as another, but really expensive, PT. Anxiety is what cripples me for even every PT. I'm going to look into meditating and changing my diet so I can control It better! I really do believe that overcoming the psychological battle is a huge factor in what your score turns out to be. And I think confidence also has a lot to do with It. The root of anxiety during PTs for me is my lack of confidence in choosing the correct answer, my lack of confidence in finishing in time, all my racing thoughts etc. Try doing confidence drills! Also I also think It helps if while you're PTing, and you get stuck and panicky, remind yourself -- it's just a practice test and not the real thing. Although during the real thing, remind yourself you can always take It again and it's really not the end of the world.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

Here's my two cents:

I like to watch my favourite tv show before I start a PT. This honestly helps me distract myself from the anxiety and it's safe to say, it has actually worked for me!

I also started to work out more often and take breaks where I aren't constantly focusing on studying for the LSAT out of stress. It's all about your mindset to be honest. If you have been scoring fairly consistent in regards to your target score, just believe in yourself on test day to achieve that score.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    Here's my two cents:

I like to watch my favourite tv show before I start a PT. This honestly helps me distract myself from the anxiety and it's safe to say, it has actually worked for me!

I also started to work out more often and take breaks where I aren't constantly focusing on studying for the LSAT out of stress. It's all about your mindset to be honest. If you have been scoring fairly consistent in regards to your target score, just believe in yourself on test day to achieve that score.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

You do want to make sure you are doing something before your PT you can replicate on test day though. So with the TV example, you would have to watch TV long enough before the PT that you could watch it and get relaxed before the test on the actual day too.

It's no good to practice getting relaxed in a way you can't on the real thing.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@jennybbbbb said:
    Here's my two cents:

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

You do want to make sure you are doing something before your PT you can replicate on test day though. So with the TV example, you would have to watch TV long enough before the PT that you could watch it and get relaxed before the test on the actual day too.

It's no good to practice getting relaxed in a way you can't on the real thing.

I don't watch it right before a PT, but it definitely clears my mind especially if I do a PT first thing in the day prior to touching any other studying materials.

It's all about mindset to be honest. Whether that includes watching a TV show or listening to a motivational speech or even doing confidence drills before a PT.

I wrote the December test and I had a huge panic attack. Nonetheless, my score has only increased ever since I focused on my mental well being as a opposed to studying for 8 hours a day.

I have definitely seen a drastic increase in my score.

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I people watched. The testing site really is a great location to people watch and eavesdrop.

Lol I so agree. Watching/ listening to people's conversations around the testing center has to be the most entertaining LSAT-related thing ever. The s**t you hear...

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    edited January 2018 5254 karma

Maybe you'd benefit from a pregame song?

• jacob.humphreyjacob.humphrey Alum Member
    12 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Maybe you'd benefit from a pregame song?

I like that idea!