Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FAFSA Priority Deadlines

Do people know if we need to apply for FAFSA before the priority deadline to get loans? I know that the deadlines for some schools are relatively early? If it is done before summer, will that be ok too?

Comments

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

bump. interested in this answer.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

bump

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

no one likes us. or FAFSA.

3788 karma

Maybe they can afford law school out of pocket.

@"Radhika." said:
    no one likes us. or FAFSA.

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

FAFSA deadline is in June. I have checked this out before, but I don't recall having seen a priority deadline for FAFSA. Only the June deadline. I am not sure if each school has its own financial aid deadline, however.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I don't know much at all about FAFSA. I do know that I went to an event for University of Washington and they said that you absolutely had to submit the FAFSA by January 15. I don't remember if that was because of scholarships or grant consideration, but schools can have their own rules since that's how they are informed of your finances. It probably relates just to things like scholarships and grants that consider financial need. But loans are determined by the government, so if you mean just for that purpose then later is probably fine. But I don't know the deadlines.

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

I definitely got emails about priority deadlines for the FAFSA for various schools!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    I don't know much at all about FAFSA. I do know that I went to an event for University of Washington and they said that you absolutely had to submit the FAFSA by January 15. I don't remember if that was because of scholarships or grant consideration, but schools can have their own rules since that's how they are informed of your finances. It probably relates just to things like scholarships and grants that consider financial need. But loans are determined by the government, so if you mean just for that purpose then later is probably fine. But I don't know the deadlines.

What? That's so early??! I'm now frantically looking up deadlines to make sure I'm not late. What about schools I haven't even been accepted to yet? Can I still submit FAFSA now?

3788 karma

UCI's deadline is feb. Yes FAFSA should be filled out even before apps are sent according to lsac. Not to worry, I finished my FAFSA couple days ago. Didnt take too long

@tylerdschreur10 said:

@"Leah M B" said:

What? That's so early??! I'm now frantically looking up deadlines to make sure I'm not late. What about schools I haven't even been accepted to yet? Can I still submit FAFSA now?

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    UCI's deadline is feb. Yes FAFSA should be filled out even before apps are sent according to lsac. Not to worry, I finished my FAFSA couple days ago. Didnt take too long

@tylerdschreur10 said:

@"Leah M B" said:

Guess that's my plan for tonight then. Thanks!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@tylerdschreur10 said:

@"Leah M B" said:

I know, I was really surprised. UW is super weird with finance stuff across the board, I think. I think February is more common for other schools, but I didn't pay much attention since I got mine in early for UW. You definitely can submit it before acceptance or anything. It really didn't take very long, it was super smooth. There's an IRS tool that lets you import data into it so there's really not that much to even fill out. Good luck!

• keishabarnes95keishabarnes95 Alum Member
    59 karma

FASFA is more important for scholarships from law schools because otherwise they won't be able to consider you without it. I did mine way back in October because I wanted to be considered as soon as they accepted me in this coming cycle. If i were you, I'd definitely do it now because for federal grants and loans, FASFA is important. There are deadlines for consideration through the school and at the federal level. The longer you wait the less likely you'll receive any money (merit or otherwise) before it's gone to other students.

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

@keishabarnes95 said:
    FASFA is more important for scholarships from law schools because otherwise they won't be able to consider you without it. I did mine way back in October because I wanted to be considered as soon as they accepted me in this coming cycle. If i were you, I'd definitely do it now because for federal grants and loans, FASFA is important. There are deadlines for consideration through the school and at the federal level. The longer you wait the less likely you'll receive any money (merit or otherwise) before it's gone to other students.

I was not aware of this. So they won't offer anyone a scholarship no matter the basis, if they have not submitted a FAFSA?

• keishabarnes95keishabarnes95 Alum Member
    59 karma

@"sbc.mom_3x" said:

@keishabarnes95 said:

I was not aware of this. So they won't offer anyone a scholarship no matter the basis, if they have not submitted a FAFSA?

They give out scholarships as long as they still have the funds to do so. The longer you wait the less like you are to receive them if they've already given out what they have. FAFSA has to process the applications and that takes a few weeks. Then once the schools receives your information, they offer according to what funds are left. If they have money left, then you may receive a scholarship, if they don't they you won't. Applying for a scholarship through the school is different then being offered merit or need-based scholarships. Students are automatically considered for merit and need-based but they need the FAFSA in order to determine the amount they can offer you and other students that they've extended offers to according to what they have set aside for those scholarships. The deadline is in June but I saw on Vanderbilt's priority deadline for need-based is feb 15th and you have to fill out another form on top of the FAFSA one for them to consider you for it. After that their page said that they will offer need-based according to availability. Schools do have individual deadlines, I'd check to be sure. Just because the normal deadline for filling out FAFSA is June, doesn't mean certain school's don't have their own specific deadlines for priority consideration.