PT75.S1.Q03 - rock music is musically bankrupt

joycool9567joycool9567 Alum Member
edited February 2018 in Logical Reasoning 133 karma

The question is as follows

Rock music is musically bankrupt and socially destructive but at least album covers of rock LPs from the 1960s and 1970s often featured innovative visual art.
But now since the success of digital music has alnost ended the production of LPs rock music has nothing going for it.

The question was to find necessary assumption.

The correct answer was

'Digital music is not distributed with accompanying innovative visual arts.'

Only rarely questions 1 to 10 took this much time to figure it out. In the end I did choose right answer but with great doubt. POE told me that this is probably the choice that had the slightest connection to stimulus.

But I cant quite understand how this is a necessary assumption.

If I understood it correctly it is reasonable to say that Digital music refers to digitally distributed music i.e itunes or what not.

If so why is it necessary to assume that all digital music is without innovative visual art?

I mean some genres of digital music can have innovative visual art and some might not have them . For instance hiphop albums are all digitally distributed with cool innovative arts while rock music does not have it.

For me the n.c must be something like Digital 'rock music' is not distributex with innovative visual arts.

Am I missing something here?

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-75-section-1-question-03/

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

What section #?

• joycool9567joycool9567 Alum Member
    133 karma

Forgot to add sectiom 1

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

@joycool9567 said:
    The question is as follows

Rock music is musically bankrupt and socially destructive but at least album covers of rock LPs from the 1960s and 1970s often featured innovative visual art.
    But now since the success of digital music has alnost ended the production of LPs rock music has nothing going for it.

The question was to find necessary assumption.

The correct answer was

'Digital music is not distributed with accompanying innovative visual arts.

But I cant quite understand how this is a necessary assumption.

If I understood it correctly it is reasonable to say that Digital music refers to digitally distributed music i.e itunes or what not.

If so why is it necessary to assume that all digital music is without innovative visual art?

I mean some genres of digital music can have innovative visual art and some might not have them . For instance hiphop albums are all digitally distributed with cool innovative arts while rock music does not have it.

For me the n.c must be something like Digital 'rock music' is not distributex with innovative visual arts.

Am I missing something here?

Hmm.. I think you might be bringing in your own assumptions and real world thoughts on digital music.

Since the music is digital, you can't have "cover" art because there is no actual cover for the art to be on. We may colloquially refer to the album artwork on the thumbnail picture of an iTunes album as "cover art," but it isn't technically on the cover of anything, because in order to be on the cover, it has to be a physical object. And now the music albums are purely digital.

For the conclusion to work, it needs to show that because digital music has replaced rock music's LPs, that is now has nothing going for it. According to the author's argument, back in the 60s and 70s the only redeeming quality of rock music was it's innovative cover art. Now that it's gone, there's nothing going for it.

Try to negate answer choice (A) and you'll see why this is necessary for our argument. "Digital music is not distributed with accompanying innovative visual arts." If that's the case, then our premises don't support our conclusion anymore and the argument falls apart.

Does that make sense?