Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I postpone lawschool? **I'm stressed OUT**

abella123abella123 Alum Member
in General 72 karma

Hi guys.
So, I've been having several mental breakdowns lately because I'm realizing I might not be ready to take the LSAT. I'm believing I shouldn't take it until I'm scoring within my range and am wondering if I should take the extra months to do it in September or June. I was supposed to take it last June, but at the time, I honestly underestimated how hard the test was and that it would take me a minute to figure out which strategies to use and etc. I really want to do well. Especially considering the fact that my GPA is well below median of my dream school (3.2 average) and I want to ensure I'm scoring in the late 160s. Right now, I'm PTing in the early 160s.
Anyway, I am aiming for 170+ and even though I'm considering postponing my applications for a year, I still think about my age silly I know, but I am 23 right now and will be 24 by the time I get in if I postpone and I feel like I'm too old and need to just take the test, apply and get my life together right now. I've been out of school for a year and a half, adding good experience to my resume (ex: I work in a music licensing firm and aim to practice music/IP law), but man, I don't know.
Everyone is telling me I'm stressing out and should just take it. But I can't help, but think WHAT IF...
Let me know what you guys think, maybe it'll help me reach a decision.
Thank you!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited February 2018 9372 karma

It's simple. If you want to postpone, postpone. If you are satisfied with your score, apply.

@aciss038 said:
    I am 23 right now and will be 24 by the time I get in if I postpone and I feel like I'm too old and need to just take the test, apply and get my life together right now.

You. Are. Not. Old.

https://media.giphy.com/media/czSUzICRJnXtm/giphy.gif

There are plenty of people in their 30s, 40s, or even 50s on 7Sage. Seriously.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

You know what you're capable of so why settle. I believe in taking as much time as needed to get the score you desire. I wish I had listened to this earlier myself. Like @akistotle stated you are definitely not old. I don't believe in being too old for school or achieving your dreams.

• FutureSportsLawyerFutureSportsLawyer Alum Member
    edited February 2018 109 karma

Okay I feel this post so spiritually. I think it’s okay to postpone the LSAT if you don’t feel ready. I’m 23 as well, and I felt the same looming age thing, but after posting my concerns on 7Sage, I feel a lot better about waiting to apply with the score necessary to get in to the school I want to go to. Trust me, I know how much you don’t want to wait, but if you’re determined to get into a school, I’d heavily weigh the decision to postpone. You got this!

• abella123abella123 Alum Member
    72 karma

I know I'm not old, but I have a bad habit of having a "5-step plan" mentality where if anything goes in another direction, it freaks me out. I'm learning (the hard way) that shit doesn't happen as you want too. But thanks guys. I guess I'll see how I feel seeing as the test is literally in a few days.
    And @FutureSportsLawyer honestlyyyyyyyyyyyy. It's just so so so hard to think this way, but I don't want to settle when I know with more time, I could do very very well.

• mrinalini.v92mrinalini.v92 Yearly Member
    22 karma

I was going through this exact same thing. I actually took a prep course 2 years ago and thought I'd take the June test and apply to law school and go the next year. I had it ALL planned out. Unfortunately life happens right? You need to go with the flow of it. This is the rest of your life we're talking about, your dream, and your career. It's not something to be handled lightly.

Also, if you're uncomfortable with something, why force yourself into it? Take some time, and practice more. The LSAT takes like a year to prepare for it. So need to rush it.

PS: You're not old. There are lots of people who decide to go to law school in their 30s, 40s etc. You got this.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I'll be 40 when I start and that's 13 years younger than my original desired start age of 53! 24 isn't too old and if you listen to people like @mike.spivey they'd encourage at least a year of full time work under your belt.

Take the time you need.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

I am 33 and I am old. Life has passed me by young buck. However, you're still young! So go watch the Defiant Ones a few more times while you postpone that upcoming LSAT.

72 karma

@"Adam Hawks" said:
    I am 33 and I am old. Life has passed me by young buck. However, you're still young! So go watch the Defiant Ones a few more times while you postpone that upcoming LSAT.

I will definitely be on the lookout for the Defiant Ones.

Thank you all so much for your insight. It is true. It is an important test and my future is on the line.

I also wish you the best of luck to all of you trying to score high on the LSAT to make your law school dream come true.

Nothing, but respect.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Yes you need to postpone. If you are getting a score average of low 160s, you will probably suffer 3 point drop on test day like most people do due to nerves. At best, you may do 3 points better within yout score band but that isnt enough to get you where you want. What sections are you struggling with? If you postpone what will be your plan action? It is understandable why you may feel like you are "old" and anxious about starting. Alot of my peers were making six figures in their early 20s in computer science and wondering why I was spending so much time studying for LSAT. At a certain point, you need to shut off undue peer pressure and pursue your goals. Rome wasn't built in a day and going from 160s to 170s may take a postponed cycle, depending on how long you have already studied and depending on what sections are weak for you.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Don't worry about peer pressure or family pressure. They're not you. You need to follow your own journey.

• chicarysschicaryss Alum Member
    143 karma

The median age of a well-respected school here in Canada is 26. You’re not too old :)

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    edited February 2018 589 karma

It often seems like the people (friends, family) who are advising "just take it" have no real concept of A) The difficulty of the test/amount of studying required and B) How life-changing even an increase of a couple of points can be.

As hard as it may be, try not to listen to the crowd around you, as pure as their intentions may be. Only you know if you're prepared and what kind of score is going to make you feel satisfied.

And to echo everyone else above, you aren't too old I PROMISE. However, what you are feeling is quite normal. I am 25, by the time I begin law school I'll be 26. Originally my plan was to begin at 23...and it was in that first year or two out of undergrad that I really struggled with these thoughts of "oh no, I'm taking too long, I'll be so old once I finish, etc." But looking back now, I am so glad I will have taken 4 years in between, I've been able to do some awesome stuff, get some great experience, and know that I will be so much more motivated as a law student because I actually WANT to be there and don't feel compelled by this imaginary, self-created timeline. Of course, everyone is different, some people do being straight out of undergrad and that is cool too. I'm just saying don't put too much pressure on yourself or feel like you're falling behind of where you "should" be, because you are not.

We are all just working to die anyway, why start the process any sooner. JK JK (but really).

Just focus on creating the strongest application you can, maximizing your LSAT, and making your in-between time worthwhile (sounds like you are already!).

edited February 2018 72 karma

@chicaryss I'm in Canada. Haha. My dream school is McGill (Osgoode second). I'll take your advice. Seeing as McGill doesn't require the LSAT, I'll apply without it as a shoot your shot type of thing. But I'm definitely going to just study study study until I know I'm really getting the right score. Slow and steady wins the race, for sure.
    @LindsMitch Thank you so much for your insight. I appreciate you.
    Thank you once again guys. I feel silly for even considering this, but I do need to stop living under timelines.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

You gotta chill out dude. Part of being a successful adult and working as an attorney is having a strong resistance to stress. It's not worth having mental breakdowns over a test...

Take whatever time it takes to achieve your goals. 24 isn't too old. I'll be in my late 20s by the time I start. I'm glad I waited though because now I know it's what I want to do and if it doesn't work out I have experience working in another field. I'm also way more mature and able to deal with the pressures of life/law school/etc. much better than the me at 22 or 23 would have been.

Set your sights on a high 170s score and don't stop until you get there. Simple as that!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

It seems to me like waiting a cycle would be best. If you do manage to score in the mid-160s right now, it is probably a sign you can eventually score even higher.

I don't think the important thing right now isso much whether you take or don't take, but that you consider retaking if you test now and delaying if you don't.

The LSAT resists improvement, but you can inpeove by studying. It is good for you that it is so hard to improve because that is what is going to make your great score all the more valuable when you eventually get it.

• jumanjiijumanjii Alum Member
    27 karma

I am in the same exact position as you and I think I'm going to postpone to June for the following reasons: 1) I am not scoring where I would like to be scoring on my practice tests and definitely feel I could improve (I am scoring mid 160s right now and want to be in the 170s for my actual score), 2) I am not planning on applying this cycle anyway so I decided there isn't any need for me to rush into the test and get my LSAT score now, 3) my GPA is similar to yours so I really need to rely on the LSAT to give my application a little boost. People have also been telling me just to take it and not stress myself out but I honestly feel I could do better so I have basically settled on not taking it and postponing to June. Also, I feel LSAT score can affect your scholarship offers greatly for a lot of schools and for me that's a significant factor in which school I will attend. I'm sorry you're going through the same thing as I am but I'm also kind of glad that I'm not the only one in the same situation. Best of luck making a decision! :)

72 karma

@JMENCEK said:
    I am in the same exact position as you and I think I'm going to postpone to June for the following reasons: 1) I am not scoring where I would like to be scoring on my practice tests and definitely feel I could improve (I am scoring mid 160s right now and want to be in the 170s for my actual score), 2) I am not planning on applying this cycle anyway so I decided there isn't any need for me to rush into the test and get my LSAT score now, 3) my GPA is similar to yours so I really need to rely on the LSAT to give my application a little boost. People have also been telling me just to take it and not stress myself out but I honestly feel I could do better so I have basically settled on not taking it and postponing to June. Also, I feel LSAT score can affect your scholarship offers greatly for a lot of schools and for me that's a significant factor in which school I will attend. I'm sorry you're going through the same thing as I am but I'm also kind of glad that I'm not the only one in the same situation. Best of luck making a decision! :)

I feel this on a soul-level. We can do this!

72 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    You gotta chill out dude. Part of being a successful adult and working as an attorney is having a strong resistance to stress. It's not worth having mental breakdowns over a test...

Take whatever time it takes to achieve your goals. 24 isn't too old. I'll be in my late 20s by the time I start. I'm glad I waited though because now I know it's what I want to do and if it doesn't work out I have experience working in another field. I'm also way more mature and able to deal with the pressures of life/law school/etc. much better than the me at 22 or 23 would have been.

Set your sights on a high 170s score and don't stop until you get there. Simple as that!

I really think it's hilarious that you're saying this because I remember when you commented on my previous posts that I can't learn through osmosis and to maybe consider postponing, but I was all like blablablabla. In the end, you were right hahahahaha cries internally

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@aciss038 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

I really think it's hilarious that you're saying this because I remember when you commented on my previous posts that I can't learn through osmosis and to maybe consider postponing, but I was all like blablablabla. In the end, you were right hahahahaha cries internally

Don't cry lol it took me a long time to realize the same thing.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I am 30 (31 next week!) and it's so funnny to me when people post on here that they are too old lol. I think you are probably feeling that way because of family and friend pressure. This is your life, do what you want. And what you want is a better score so go for it. Words just can't describe how much 23 is not too young; you have so much time to become the lawyer you want to be. Put in the work and little extra time to get into the school you want because that will determine the next few decades of your life.

• keishabarnes95keishabarnes95 Alum Member
    59 karma

Yeah, I agree with what some people are saying, if you want to postpone, postpone, but scoring in the 160s is still great and that will get you into a great school. If age is an issue for you I promise you that you are never too old to start a career in law or even go to law school. I am also 23 and I felt the same way at first. Until I went to one of the law school forums and met a man who was a 50+ former heart transplant surgeon looking to start a career in Health Law. At the end of the day you want to put your best foot forward. If you don't like where your score is and want to postpone, then continue to work to get it up. Even if that means taking another year off. I got a relatively average score on my September LSAT, applied with my score and have so far been admitted to a great school in the top 30, waitlisted at a top 10 and I'm still waiting for a few more responses. You never know what will happen. If your overall application is great then there is a strong chance to get into a great law school. If you go into a test worried you're not going to do well or that your score won't be enough then it'll hurt you. Confidence is key and doing your research or even gaining more experience in the time (if you decide to postpone) that you take off could help.

72 karma

@keishabarnes95 said:
    Yeah, I agree with what some people are saying, if you want to postpone, postpone, but scoring in the 160s is still great and that will get you into a great school. If age is an issue for you I promise you that you are never too old to start a career in law or even go to law school. I am also 23 and I felt the same way at first. Until I went to one of the law school forums and met a man who was a 50+ former heart transplant surgeon looking to start a career in Health Law. At the end of the day you want to put your best foot forward. If you don't like where your score is and want to postpone, then continue to work to get it up. Even if that means taking another year off. I got a relatively average score on my September LSAT, applied with my score and have so far been admitted to a great school in the top 30, waitlisted at a top 10 and I'm still waiting for a few more responses. You never know what will happen. If your overall application is great then there is a strong chance to get into a great law school. If you go into a test worried you're not going to do well or that your score won't be enough then it'll hurt you. Confidence is key and doing your research or even gaining more experience in the time (if you decide to postpone) that you take off could help.

Amazing! I agree, but I'd like to maximize my chances the most I can. Mid 160's is good, but it isn't great. I want 170+ esp with my gpa, I can't take any chances =/

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I agree with postponing, it seems like a great idea! I feel you on the age thing, it feels like once you've graduated you should be out there and beginning your desired career especially when your peers are. But ultimately, your path is your own regardless of what everyone else says or is doing. That extra time off might be great because then you won't be burnt out and will actually want to study when you're in law school. You'll be able to begin law school confidentently! Also your job sounds amazing.

My friend went to McGill for her masters and I hear the campus is beautiful. I know they don't need the LSAT but they do look at it if you've taken it. So it would be better if you take it and get your desired score. Have you already applied for the September 2018 cycle?

I think you'll feel less pressured and stressed out once you have a plan for what you want to do after postponing; you know which sections you need to drill, what question types to focus on, revisit the CC? Once you have a plan you can begin to implement it and that gradually makes everything seem less overwhelming. Good luck!

• RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
    142 karma

@aciss038 I went to McGill for undergrad and have several friends who went to LS there- they look really favourably upon multiple applications as long as there is improvement in your application the second time around. It shows a high level of interest and a commitment to attending McGill. So I think your plan to apply now w/o the LSAT and later on with your score is a good one! In terms of when to take the LSAT, if you're applying to Canadian schools you've missed the deadline to apply for 2019 anyways, so it would really benefit you to take as much time as possible and plan for a September take with the option of a re-take in December if need be.

72 karma

@RGBeetobe said:
    @aciss038 I went to McGill for undergrad and have several friends who went to LS there- they look really favourably upon multiple applications as long as there is improvement in your application the second time around. It shows a high level of interest and a commitment to attending McGill. So I think your plan to apply now w/o the LSAT and later on with your score is a good one! In terms of when to take the LSAT, if you're applying to Canadian schools you've missed the deadline to apply for 2019 anyways, so it would really benefit you to take as much time as possible and plan for a September take with the option of a re-take in December if need be.

Yes! That's what I'm thinking too. For one you never know and also, if I don't get in this year (as I already applied for Fall 2018), I'll study slowly and accurately, sit down for September and apply for Fall 2019. McGill is honestly the dream. Thank you!

72 karma

@keets993 said:
    I agree with postponing, it seems like a great idea! I feel you on the age thing, it feels like once you've graduated you should be out there and beginning your desired career especially when your peers are. But ultimately, your path is your own regardless of what everyone else says or is doing. That extra time off might be great because then you won't be burnt out and will actually want to study when you're in law school. You'll be able to begin law school confidentently! Also your job sounds amazing.

My friend went to McGill for her masters and I hear the campus is beautiful. I know they don't need the LSAT but they do look at it if you've taken it. So it would be better if you take it and get your desired score. Have you already applied for the September 2018 cycle?

I think you'll feel less pressured and stressed out once you have a plan for what you want to do after postponing; you know which sections you need to drill, what question types to focus on, revisit the CC? Once you have a plan you can begin to implement it and that gradually makes everything seem less overwhelming. Good luck!

Oh yes! A lesson I learned studying this time around is to practice practice practice. That will be my focus till September. Thank you for the kind words!

• mekdie6mekdie6 Free Trial Member
    8 karma

You got this! Just practice day in and day out. Stay consistent and be kind to yourself. Definitely take it when you hit your target score and you feel comfortable with the test. From experience, I suggest you take your time and understand the ins and out of the test before taking it. When you feel low or you're not scoring at your target just remind your self of why you want to go to law school and what it would feel like once you are a law student at your dream school, trust me it will give you the courage as well as determination to push through. Remember, a test doesn't determine your intelligence so don't be too hard on your self. I am sure you're going to remember this journey once you become a lawyer and will appreciate all the hard work you put in to get to where you are. Every ones journey is different just trust your process and always remember why you want to go to law school in the first place. I believe in you and good luck! Remember to take time for your self.