Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Help - Is it better to postpone at this point? - 7Sage Forum

Help - Is it better to postpone at this point?

skiatook89-1-1skiatook89-1-1 Alum Member
edited February 2018 in General 175 karma

I really need some solid guidance with this one. With only 3 days to go before testing - would I be better off postponing until June altogether, or is there a benefit to testing on Saturday knowing that I will likely need to retest in June?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

We need more info. Where are you currently scoring? What is your score breakdown? Where do you want to be?

Why do you think you will likely need to retest in June?

If you think you're going to have to retake, it's best not to take at all if you're first take is going to be on an undisclosed test where you won't be able to see your breakdown. I think that's really crucial information to have if you're going to retake.

• skiatook89-1-1skiatook89-1-1 Alum Member
    175 karma

I am currently scoring in the low 150's. LG is my lowest section by far. I would like to be around a 160 (If I don't score close to 160 I would want to retake). I guess my question is - since I will lose cost of testing either way, should I go ahead and take the test to get "practice." If I cancel, I lose the cost and I do not get a "practice run" at the test. With all of that said - if I could get my LG score up I know I could be getting into the 160's. Does this make sense? The drawback to waiting is the school I would like to attend advised that the chances of getting accepted for the fall 18 program significantly decrease if I wait until June to test.... Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

@skiatook89 said:
    I am currently scoring in the low 150's. LG is my lowest section by far. I would like to be around a 160 (If I don't score close to 160 I would want to retake). I guess my question is - since I will lose cost of testing either way, should I go ahead and take the test to get "practice." If I cancel, I lose the cost and I do not get a "practice run" at the test. With all of that said - if I could get my LG score up I know I could be getting into the 160's. Does this make sense? The drawback to waiting is the school I would like to attend advised that the chances of getting accepted for the fall 18 program significantly decrease if I wait until June to test.... Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

What do you hope to get out of the test run?
    I just don't see the use in taking a test knowing you're going to do poorly, cancelling, having no data points to help you going forward, and having a cancellation on your record. Not sure it would hurt, but I don't think it would serve to help you in any meaningful way. Furthermore, I can see how taking the test unprepared might shake someone up more for the next take.

Think of it this way: If I'm training for a big fight, but I'm not close to being ready, does it make sense to go in the ring with Brock Lesnar for a trial run?

Now, if you were scoring like a 158 and aiming for a 160, I might suggest something different. But if you're scoring in the low 150s, there's just no chance you're going to score a 160 or close. The test is just too well designed to expect that kind of score jump. I'd expect a score right in the same range (low 150s).

And again, either way you won't know your score if you cancel. Going in with the mindset that you're going to cancel is a defense mechanism so you don't have to see a score you know you won't be happy about. To me, it sounds like you're just not ready.

I also happen to think if you're in the 150s that you don't really need to be doing PTs or worrying about trial runs. You've got so much more to learn that I don't think you'll really get what you need to out of trial run. I think a lot of those points between a 150 and a 160 are all points you can get by making sure you have a solid grasp of all the foundational stuff. I'm sure you could probably pick up a good amount of points just working on games!

I'm also a little confused about your plan: So you want to apply with this February score to the school you want to attend. But you're also strongly considering cancelling due to unpreparedness in lieu of a June take, but also worried because that school may not admit you with a June score?

If so, sounds to me like waiting a cycle is the best play here. Some schools do take June scores, but by then****EDIT**** the scholarship money is dried up. Remember, there is literally never a reason you have to apply to law school this cycle.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27884 karma

Yeah, I agree with Alex. There's nothing but downside to taking. Aim for next cycle and hold off.