Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Delay!? (Canadian Universities)

Applying to Canadian Universities
Queens, Western, UofT, Osgoode
Applied in Access/ Diversity Category (Legitimate claim that effect my Undergraduate GPA).

I am scheduled to write the LSAT this February 10th. This will be my second write as the first time I scored 148 (Terrible I know). I have not been scoring where I want to be in the last few weeks, ranging between 154 and 157.

Overall CPGA of 3.2
Year 1: 3.44 Year 2: 3.18 Year 3: 3.00 Year 4: 3.41

Should I delay my LSAT and apply next cycle? Or should I risk getting another low mark?

What Should I do?
  1. Should I delay?21 votes
    1. Yes
      71.43%
    2. No
      28.57%

Comments

• chicarysschicaryss Alum Member
    143 karma

I think it’s best to check the stats of other Access applicants from previous cycles and see where you stand. You can probably find this info on lawstudents(dot)ca.

Also, I didn’t apply to Ontario schools so I don’t know but do they take the Feb LSAT? If so, do they only take the highest score or average your scores (as far as I know, only U of A averages)? It might not hurt to give Feb a shot anyways and try again next cycle if things don’t work out. At this point, I don’t think you can get a refund from LSAC anyways.

• 28 karma

For those of you voting against delaying the exam, why should I not delay!?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

What's your target score? Would you be satisfied with a score in the mid 150's?

• SeraephinaSeraephina Live Member
    124 karma

I have to agree with this. Also, will the mid 150's be enough for you to get admitted into the universities you want? (Not familiar with Canadian Universities >.<v)

@"Cant Get Right" said:

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I don't know much about the access/diversity categories but all I know is that for general admission you'd need at least a 160 to balance out your cGPA. I know that Osgoode is generally really good with taking into consideration other factors. Based on the stats i've seen previously, I think some of them have admitted people with an LSAT score of around 157 as the lowest. Is there any rush - aside from the fact that you've already applied - to apply this year?

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited February 2018 609 karma

I am in same situation. It is not like America. You don't need 170. 160 to mid 160s should be your target. Also, Canadian Schools take the highest score. You probably can do 2 more takes without looking excessive.

Western i believe for their access is 155 and up, and you're within their GPA range. Queen's average went up from the year before. Previous years the average was 154 LSAT, where now is 160.

U of T and Osgoode i think you need 170...

• 28 karma

I have no problem waiting an extra year if it means I can get into the schools I want! I am not very satisfied with scoring between 154 and 157, I know I can do better (160+).

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

I was in a similar situation earlier in January -- not scoring in the range I wanted, but scheduled for the Feb LSAT (And, Canadian!). In the end, since I wouldn't be applying till next cycle anyway, I opted to push the test back to June. Thankfully, I didn't feel the sense of failure that I anticipated I would after rescheduling ( I was really dreading that). In the end, I suspect I'll be glad that I took the additional four months to study in return for a better school situation and less tuition. :smile:

• abella123abella123 Alum Member
    72 karma

We're literally the same except I applied to McGill, Dal & UBC. I withdrawn my applications, applied to McGill w/o the LSAT just to see if I can get lucky, but I chose to sit for September. Take your time. I was literally freaking out a few days ago. It's better to go in that LSAT knowing you are within your score range (or even higher), especially considering the test-day drops. It's just too much of an important test to go in without knowing you're going to slay!

• 28 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

I would most likely not be happy with this. I feel that above a 160 is necessary for me.

• 28 karma

@aciss038 said:
    We're literally the same except I applied to McGill, Dal & UBC. I withdrawn my applications, applied to McGill w/o the LSAT just to see if I can get lucky, but I chose to sit for September. Take your time. I was literally freaking out a few days ago. It's better to go in that LSAT knowing you are within your score range (or even higher), especially considering the test-day drops. It's just too much of an important test to go in without knowing you're going to slay!

My thoughts exactly, I appreciate the response!

• LivePumpkinLivePumpkin Free Trial Member
    270 karma

@doyouevenLSAT said:
    I am in same situation. It is not like America. You don't need 170. 160 to mid 160s should be your target. Also, Canadian Schools take the highest score. You probably can do 2 more takes without looking excessive.

Western i believe for their access is 155 and up, and your within their GPA range. Queen's average went up from the year before. Previous years the average was 154 LSAT, where now is 160.

@doyouevenLSAT said:

Western i believe for their access is 155 and up, and your within their GPA range. Queen's average went up from the year before. Previous years the average was 154 LSAT, where now is 160.

I agree with what you’re saying about not requiring as high of an LSAT in Canada. Mid 160s is usually enough; however, I disagree with requiring a 170 for Osgoode or U of T. Osgoode’s medians have always been around the 80th percentile. And U of T’s 75th percentile has been around 166-167.

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited February 2018 609 karma

@LivePumpkin said:

@doyouevenLSAT said:

@doyouevenLSAT said:

I agree with what you’re saying about not requiring as high of an LSAT in Canada. Mid 160s is usually enough; however, I disagree with requiring a 170 for Osgoode or U of T. Osgoode’s medians have always been around the 80th percentile. And U of T’s 75th percentile has been around 166-167.

I was speaking to the context of his/her situation he/she is on the lower end of the GPA. I think if you're below the 75th in GPA then you have to compensate.

• abella123abella123 Alum Member
    edited February 2018 72 karma

I heard Osgoode is very hollistic. I have friends who have gotten in with OK GPA's but they had 165+ LSAT's, relevantly, I've had high GPA's and mid 150's LSAT. I think Osgoode is more forgiving depending on what you did in life.

As of U of T though from what I have heard and the people I know there, they want EXCELLENT. I've never heard of anyone getting in that didn't have HIGH GPA + HIGH LSAT unless their B3 was really high despite a lower-ish GPA.

Even when you go on law students.ca (though I'm not a huge fan of the website), in the accepted threads, they're all like "Woo, was so scared, but I'm in! 4.0 GPA, 180 LSAT :) EC's include internship with the Obama administration while completing my PhD in astrophysics" or something crazy like that lmao

• rebecciusrebeccius Alum Member
    edited February 2018 45 karma

I think if you are asking this question now, you should probably delay (and I think deep down you probably feel the same way?). Even if you hit your recent PT averages, that is really borderline for entrance into any Canadian school, let alone the Ontario schools you listed. The LSAT is so much a psychological test... if you aren't fairly confident going in, and scoring roughly where you want, I can't imagine things turning out well. I say this as a fellow Canadian applicant, who under-performed on my last exam, and am re-writing tomorrow. I'm anxious and terrified enough as it is, and I have been PT-ing in the range I want and need to be over the past month. Whatever you decide, best of luck!

• danielm777danielm777 Alum Member
    24 karma

I was in the exact same situation just over a year ago. I applied with a 155 and 3.54 GPA in the regular category and was rejected from all five choices (Windsor, Western, Manitoba, Calgary, Ottawa). I chose to take my time studying for it until I got my PTing into the high 160s and reapplied this year. It did the trick. Don't feel pressured to rush. Take however long you need to study and do it well. For me, that meant studying a little bit each day from May till November of last year.