Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feb 10 LSAT Anxiety

SeraephinaSeraephina Live Member
in General 116 karma

Hi everyone!

DISCLAIMER: LONG POST!!!

I keep having anxiety attacks due to the test on February 10. I took the June LSAT last year and did not score well. I did not know how to study for the LSAT and had no idea about 7sage back then. I tried postponing my exam but was too late, I could not change the test date anymore and my ticket and hotel were not refundable. I had to take my exam in another country since it was not offered back home. My flight was a red eye flight and got delayed two more hours, I did not get enough sleep and my nose kept bleeding all throughout the exam. I scored around 140s. I did not cancel my score (my mistake) to see how I fared. A lot of the test takers I met told me about 7sage and I started using it last July. I had only 2 hours a day to study (sometimes none at all due to the tax season, and yes I worked for an accounting firm).

Fast forward I had time to study 5-6 hours a day starting September but I was diagnosed of Cancer last November, I was going through medical tests and treatments and was able to start studying again on the 2nd week of December. So far I have done only 3 PrepTests. I scored 152 on the first one (forgot to do a blind review) then scored a 148 and 161 (br) on preptest 37, then 160 and 164 (br) on preptest 36. I am aiming to get 160 and above.

So with everything said, any advice especially the exam is a few days away?

:(

Comments

• SeraephinaSeraephina Live Member
    116 karma

PS: I forgot to mention that I was supposed to take the LSAT last December but decided to move it to February 10.

@Seraephina said:
    Hi everyone!

DISCLAIMER: LONG POST!!!

I keep having anxiety attacks due to the test on February 10. I took the June LSAT last year and did not score well. I did not know how to study for the LSAT and had no idea about 7sage back then. I tried postponing my exam but was too late, I could not change the test date anymore and my ticket and hotel were not refundable. I had to take my exam in another country since it was not offered back home. My flight was a red eye flight and got delayed two more hours, I did not get enough sleep and my nose kept bleeding all throughout the exam. I scored around 140s. I did not cancel my score (my mistake) to see how I fared. A lot of the test takers I met told me about 7sage and I started using it last July. I had only 2 hours a day to study (sometimes none at all due to the tax season, and yes I worked for an accounting firm).

Fast forward I had time to study 5-6 hours a day starting September but I was diagnosed of Cancer last November, I was going through medical tests and treatments and was able to start studying again on the 2nd week of December. So far I have done only 3 PrepTests. I scored 152 on the first one (forgot to do a blind review) then scored a 148 and 161 (br) on preptest 37, then 160 and 164 (br) on preptest 36. I am aiming to get 160 and above.

So with everything said, any advice especially the exam is a few days away?

:(

• So__WhatSo__What Alum Member
    17 karma

Not exactly advice, but I'd say postpone it unless you urgently need a score. Doesn't sound like you've hit you potential at all, and taking another 10 PTs will do wonders for the anxiety. Especially with the newer PTs since they are a bit different from the older ones.

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

Hi,
    So sorry about your situation!!!

I think whether or not you should postpone would depend on your confidence in your ability to replicate your best performance on test day. You got a 160 recently so it is possible but it probably will be difficult seeing as how you did it once.
    Also this test is important but nothing is more important than your health. This test will always be here. So if you need to postpone, do it. But if you're feeling up for it and healthy enough then I say go for it. Myself and the rest of the 7sage community are here for you!!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Yes, put your health and recovery first. Sorry you went through these stressful experiences. I'd vote for studying longer and taking it when you're ready.

• I would take care of your health. The LSAT changed to unlimited tries from its previous restricted amount.

On a website called lawstudents.ca I read a post about a guy that wrote the LSAT 6 times and still got into law school. School and the test will always be there but your health is something that is far more important. Stay happy and strong, study longer and take it when you are at your best.

• Harmmanb-1Harmmanb-1 Alum Member
    126 karma

LSAT can wait as long as you need it to. I would take the June or September one. Not worth having to do everything over again for a third time.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

As a cancer survivor, I understand what you are going through and how difficult it is just to have energy for a test let alone the day.

The LSAT can wait. You don't have to take the test now, and what you are going through is infinitely more important.

116 karma

Urgently need the score. I have been reading a lot of threads in the forum, and most of them say that on the last week, people should just do light drills days before the test day? :|

@So__What said:
    Not exactly advice, but I'd say postpone it unless you urgently need a score. Doesn't sound like you've hit you potential at all, and taking another 10 PTs will do wonders for the anxiety. Especially with the newer PTs since they are a bit different from the older ones.

116 karma

I will do one PT today and I guess see if I can get a 160 and above then probably weigh my options there. But I really would love to start law school by Fall. Most especially since I found out I am sick, all the more I want to become a lawyer already. :(

Thank you for the support, I am so thankful that I found out about 7sage and had a chance to be part of this supportive family.

@JerryClarke242 said:
    Hi,
    So sorry about your situation!!!

I think whether or not you should postpone would depend on your confidence in your ability to replicate your best performance on test day. You got a 160 recently so it is possible but it probably will be difficult seeing as how you did it once.
    Also this test is important but nothing is more important than your health. This test will always be here. So if you need to postpone, do it. But if you're feeling up for it and healthy enough then I say go for it. Myself and the rest of the 7sage community are here for you!!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I agree that it's worth thinking about delaying. I just feel someone should point out what a badass you are to keep right on studying through cancer. I say delay and keep studying. The LSAT's not going to stop you if you can just give yourself the time to do things right.

If you do just have to take it for whatever reason: The emotions and the anxiety are a part of it, you just can't listen to them and allow them to make decisions for you. They make very bad decisions, so you've got to compartmentalize and set them aside so that you can just do your thing. Listen to the rational part of your brain, trust it, and just do what it says no matter how scary it may seem and how nervous it may make the rest of you. If that voice can't break through the fear or if you fail to follow its lead, you cannot do well. Although your average is not where you want it to be, you did break 160 on the one, so it's not impossible. Don't think about the score though. Focus on what's in front of you. 160 is too much pressure to put on yourself right now and you won't hold up to that well. What you can do is this one question, this one passage, this one game. And if you can't, who cares? You know there's going to be one particularly hard LG, one particularly hard RC passage, and a healthy handful of curve breaker LR questions. So there's no reason to panic over something you always knew you were going to come across. Your margin of error is big enough that you don't really need to get 100% of those. Actually, you don't really need any of those. On the most recent test, PT 83, you could miss literally every 5 star LR question, every question on the hardest RC passage, and every question on the hardest LG and still score a 164. So when you come across these, just don't worry about it! There's no reason you have to get these hardest questions right and so there's no reason to let them fluster you. And even if you just take a blind guess at these, you should statistically get four or five of them right. So really, that 164 is a 167. So once you've taken the curve breakers out, that still leaves you with a very healthy margin of error of -12 to still break 160. I hope thinking of it that way puts things into perspective. When we really get in trouble is not when we struggle on individual questions. It's when we let those struggles carry over into questions we wouldn't be struggling with otherwise. This compounds itself and we fall apart. So if you get stuck on something so what? Just miss it. It'll be fine. You'll be fine.

116 karma

Thank you, a huge part of me badly wants to push through and take the exam on Saturday. But with everyone's suggestion, it is best if I weigh things today before making a final decision.

@lsatplaylist said:
    Yes, put your health and recovery first. Sorry you went through these stressful experiences. I'd vote for studying longer and taking it when you're ready.

116 karma

I am feeling better compared last year but since I am still undergoing a series of tests and treatments, your suggestions got me thinking if I should wait till I am completely better. I am 25 though, and coming from an asian family, the pressure is reaaaaaally bad. :|

@f_e_a_r_of_the_w_a_l_k_i_n_g_LSAT said:
    I would take care of your health. The LSAT changed to unlimited tries from its previous restricted amount.

On a website called lawstudents.ca I read a post about a guy that wrote the LSAT 6 times and still got into law school. School and the test will always be there but your health is something that is far more important. Stay happy and strong, study longer and take it when you are at your best.

116 karma

With my current health status, it may take a lot of time before I can fully recover. I am scared that by the time that happens, it is too late for me to take the LSAT. I do understand that there are people who go to law school at the age of 30 and above, but I really want to follow the timeline I have set for myself.

I would take care of your health. The LSAT changed to unlimited tries from its previous restricted amount.

116 karma

I am happy that you survived it. I hope the same goes for me as well. How long have you been preparing for the LSAT? Did you prepare for it while battling cancer?

@"Adam Hawks" said:
    As a cancer survivor, I understand what you are going through and how difficult it is just to have energy for a test let alone the day.

The LSAT can wait. You don't have to take the test now, and what you are going through is infinitely more important.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@Seraephina said:
    I am happy that you survived it. I hope the same goes for me as well. How long have you been preparing for the LSAT? Did you prepare for it while battling cancer?

@"Adam Hawks" said:

It happened when I was a child. I've been in remission now for 22 years. As for studying for the LSAT, I've been at it for about 2 1/2 years now (but I've been studying seriously for only 4 months or so). I am a splitter so I have to nail the LSAT in order to have schools inside the T-20 talking to me.

Just focus on your health and happiness right now. The LSAT can wait, and it is ok to postpone until the Fall '18 admissions cycle to get more studying in. You're going through something traumatic (LSAT and Cancer), but know that you don't have to do either one alone.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@Seraephina Hello! Please put your health first. I was diagnosed with cancer five days before taking the test and I straight bombed it! Treatment is a beast and it greatly affects your mood. I've been there before so I can confidently say you're def not in the right head space for the test. I couldn't even prep sufficiently because it's so much. Just take a little time to get your health squared away before diving in. You can still do a little prep when you feel up to it but I wouldn't push it. The anxiety could also be due to the fact that you know you're not fully prepared and you know you can score better. Cancer is a beast and so is this test. Don't put more on yourself unnecessarily.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@Seraephina said:
    I am feeling better compared last year but since I am still undergoing a series of tests and treatments, your suggestions got me thinking if I should wait till I am completely better. I am 25 though, and coming from an asian family, the pressure is reaaaaaally bad. :|

Stress is often associated with less good health outcomes. Since taking the LSAT seems like it is quite reasonably a significant source of stress for you I wouldn't recommend it. Law school, especially 1L year can also be very stressful.

If I were in your position and knew what I know about the LSAT, I would wait and use the time you have to prepare for the LSAT while keeping the prep as low stress as possible. Certain things are just a matter of time and preparation especially logic games with the foolproofing method so I would work on those when you can.

I'm from a half asian family too so I understand the family pressure thing, but it is hard for families to understand how long it takes to properly prepare for the LSAT and how important a couple point increase can be.

For instance, one of the best reasons to start a law career young ia that there is more time to pay off the debt you incur at law school. However, a handful of points on the LSAT can be the difference between barely getting in and getting a big scholarship. If you get the substantial scholarship suddenly it doesn't matter as much that your career might be a few years shorter since you won't have to worry about getting out of deep debt.

Good luck with your health, your recovery, your family, your LSAT preparation, law school, and your future career as a lawyer.

• ramster1ramster1 Member
    109 karma

Just a quick suggestion about the pressure from being from an Asian family...I don't know if it's relevant to your situation, but in mine it helped to try to get an older male that your parents would respect to advocate for your position. Sometimes in patriarchal societies, it makes a big difference. I know it did with mine when I was applying for programs back in college - which was about a 100 years ago :D. It's not "fair," but if that's all it takes, it's worth giving yourself a break to get through all this. Hope your recovery goes well...

• TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
    1008 karma

Hi, I’m replying to your post because I can only empathize. I didn’t have cancer, but something serious enough that caused a lot of stress. In the midst of the health issue, I didn’t realize how stressed and tired I was. I was in no shape to study or to take an exam, but I pushed through, which caused more burn out. The exam can wait. The health is always more important. Once you recover amidst the frenzy, you will find studying for the lsat a lot easier and joyful.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I would echo everything that people have said above. First and foremost, I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. I can only imagine how scary and frustrating it is.

Secondly, your health is vastly more important than law school or the LSAT. And each of those can have negative effects on the other. It will be difficult to put your full energy and concentration on the LSAT while you deal with something else as big as cancer. And I think that the stress of the LSAT and law school could negatively impact your recovery efforts. Law school is a very stressful endeavor, and it would not be the best plan to undertake it if you are still dealing with tests and treatments. I really think you need to give your body at least a year to recover from this.

And yes, I will raise my hand as being a 33 year old law school applicant (who will most likely need to push back a cycle). And honestly, it kind of sucks. I'm excited to be doing something new and moving in this direction but also, I wish I was 25 haha. So, I get that. And it sucks to let something as sucky as cancer change your plans. But, I think you need to give yourself the best chance to succeed, both in fighting off this cancer and in tackling law school.

I don't really know what else to say. I'm rooting for you, in all of this! I so admire your passion and grit in pushing through.

116 karma

Sorry I cried when I read this. Thank you. I'll message you immediately and update you of my decision with regard to the LSAT. I really appreciate this reply of yours. <3

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I agree that it's worth thinking about delaying. I just feel someone should point out what a badass you are to keep right on studying through cancer. I say delay and keep studying. The LSAT's not going to stop you if you can just give yourself the time to do things right.

If you do just have to take it for whatever reason: The emotions and the anxiety are a part of it, you just can't listen to them and allow them to make decisions for you. They make very bad decisions, so you've got to compartmentalize and set them aside so that you can just do your thing. Listen to the rational part of your brain, trust it, and just do what it says no matter how scary it may seem and how nervous it may make the rest of you. If that voice can't break through the fear or if you fail to follow its lead, you cannot do well. Although your average is not where you want it to be, you did break 160 on the one, so it's not impossible. Don't think about the score though. Focus on what's in front of you. 160 is too much pressure to put on yourself right now and you won't hold up to that well. What you can do is this one question, this one passage, this one game. And if you can't, who cares? You know there's going to be one particularly hard LG, one particularly hard RC passage, and a healthy handful of curve breaker LR questions. So there's no reason to panic over something you always knew you were going to come across. Your margin of error is big enough that you don't really need to get 100% of those. Actually, you don't really need any of those. On the most recent test, PT 83, you could miss literally every 5 star LR question, every question on the hardest RC passage, and every question on the hardest LG and still score a 164. So when you come across these, just don't worry about it! There's no reason you have to get these hardest questions right and so there's no reason to let them fluster you. And even if you just take a blind guess at these, you should statistically get four or five of them right. So really, that 164 is a 167. So once you've taken the curve breakers out, that still leaves you with a very healthy margin of error of -12 to still break 160. I hope thinking of it that way puts things into perspective. When we really get in trouble is not when we struggle on individual questions. It's when we let those struggles carry over into questions we wouldn't be struggling with otherwise. This compounds itself and we fall apart. So if you get stuck on something so what? Just miss it. It'll be fine. You'll be fine.

116 karma

I tried doing that but my siblings aren't with me on this. I took up law in my country for 2 years but coming from a political family here is really hard for me. This is the reason why I decided to pursue law somewhere else. My dad did not like the fact that none of my older siblings followed his footsteps. They all ended up as a doctors, which is why my dad is putting so much pressure on me and I got burnt out. Everyone is pushing me to go back to law school since I am the only one who doesn't have a "title" next to my name.

@ramster1 said:
    Just a quick suggestion about the pressure from being from an Asian family...I don't know if it's relevant to your situation, but in mine it helped to try to get an older male that your parents would respect to advocate for your position. Sometimes in patriarchal societies, it makes a big difference. I know it did with mine when I was applying for programs back in college - which was about a 100 years ago :D. It's not "fair," but if that's all it takes, it's worth giving yourself a break to get through all this. Hope your recovery goes well...

116 karma

Oh okay, I am glad to hear that your health is okay now. Believe it or not, the LSAT is more traumatic for me :( To be frank with you, I am not eyeing a T20 school. I fell in love with this law school I visited and everyone is telling me that all I need is a 152+ to get admitted since my UGPA is high. Although I am really praying to get a 160+ to get a full scholarship.

@"Adam Hawks" said:

@Seraephina said:

@"Adam Hawks" said:

It happened when I was a child. I've been in remission now for 22 years. As for studying for the LSAT, I've been at it for about 2 1/2 years now (but I've been studying seriously for only 4 months or so). I am a splitter so I have to nail the LSAT in order to have schools inside the T-20 talking to me.

Just focus on your health and happiness right now. The LSAT can wait, and it is ok to postpone until the Fall '18 admissions cycle to get more studying in. You're going through something traumatic (LSAT and Cancer), but know that you don't have to do either one alone.

• Mr. ReeMr. Ree Alum Member
    6 karma

Relax, take the test. Apply to the schools you want, if you get an offer great, if you don't...Don't worry if you don't do well, retest in June and be the first early applicant in the new year!