Yale 250 Words - Edit?

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
in General 3521 karma

Hey everyone,

For those of you applying to Yale, how did you approach the 250 word essay? What was your thought process when devising a topic?

Also does anyone wanna read mine and give thoughts :smile:?

Best,

Paul

Comments

• just.jaubsjust.jaubs Alum Member
    38 karma

I would be happy to read yours if you like

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@just.jaubs Awesome! PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it over :smile:

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    edited February 2018 328 karma

I'm applying next Fall, so mine's still a (reallly)rough draft, but the topic is fairly serious: related to some political and legal issues in my country of birth. I settled on my topic because: it is something that relates well to my overall application but is pretty different from everything I have in ps and ds; I am able to argue make an interesting and meaningful point (as far it's possible to do in under 250 words); and finally because I figured it that this specific issue/angle I'm taking will be pretty different from other's essays.

You might have seen this already, but in case you didn't, there is a nice thread on TLS that compiles many successful Y250s from other applicants. It's an informative read.
    http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=68738

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

I'm happy to look yours over :)

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    edited February 2018 756 karma

I went in with a few ideas I liked, and thought were impressive, but always ended up at a dead end trying to force one of those topics. So I switched to just thinking up a bunch of ideas and for each if after 10-15 minutes nothing was coming to me, I switched to a new topic. Eventually one hit.

It was completely random and not something I would have thought interesting beforehand, but because I was clearly in to the idea, it read really well.