Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pencil sharpener rant and other rants

heugene15heugene15 Member
in General 10 karma

Hi guys,

Forgive me for doing this but i just feel like ranting just a little bit, and hopefully finding a possible solution if there's one. So i've taking the LSAT twice before and i'm taking it again. The college test center that I have and will take it at (since it is the most convenient test center for me) did not provide a spot to place our prohibited belongings (phones, bags, etc). On both occasions I literally hid my phone in a BBQ grill outside the test center hoping that no one steals it whiles i'm taking the test, and the second time fortunately someone offered to keep it in their car together with my backpack, hopefully that we'll both be done in time so this person doesn't have to wait or worse drive off with my stuff. (Also, two girls got kicked out for having their phones on them. I'm assuming if they weren't gonna use it to cheat then maybe they had on them because they had no place to store them).
I absolutely understand why LSAC doesn't allow cellphones at the test center (to prevent cheating), but it seems wrong to not provide a place where people can store their things. It is not everyone who drives there or has a convenient place to store their prohibited items, and in the case of cellphones, we rely so much on them to warrant being fearful of losing it or it getting stolen.

Also, why is LSAC adamant on no mechanical pencils when taking the test? I'm assuming the machine that marks the tests can only read no.2 or HB lead pencil markings, but i literally just went to five stores closest to me (2 dollar stores, Ross, 7eleven, and my gas station shop) to buy a sharpener for tomorrow's test day in case i need it, and literally non of them had a regular/manuel sharpeners so I bought a $4 battery-powered sharpener. I'm not taking it to the center because i'm sure their not gonna allow it (even though there's no rule against automatic sharpeners), but could they either change this rule and allow mechanical pencils, or perhaps provide sharpeners assuming the center wouldn't have a wall sharpener?
Ok my rant is over. Goodluck to you all :)

Comments

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

I recommend forwarding this email to LSAC. Hey you never know what might happen

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma
    1. I don't see why bringing a phone is a necessity. I didn't bring my phone, and used a strangers phone after the exam.

2. According to Kaplan you can't bring an electric sharpener. I didn't bring a sharpener. Instead I brought a ton of pencils. I didn't want to spend any of my intermission time sharpening pencils.

• BDBD Alum Member
    edited February 2018 128 karma

Imagine a room full of people clicking their mechanical pencils endlessly...I would go crazy.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma
    1. (1) I am more than ready to bet on the possibility that there would be at least one person who would sue or otherwise harass the test center or the LSAC for his or her lost cell phone; (2) mere storage is not the issue - for instance, I can picture the LSAC trying to soothe candidates who were distracted because someone decided to not silence his or her ultra loud and distracting alarm before turning the device in.

2. Mechanical pencils can be used for cheating.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah, it's a bummer but 99% of the time, you don't need your cell phone on you. I'm an oldie though and remember the days when none of us had them lol. Didn't have a phone until my freshman year of college, and I would sometimes turn it off and forget to turn it back on for days at a time hahaha.

But anyway - yeah, I'm sure it's a liability issue. LSAC doesn't want to be responsible for losing anyone's $800 device, ya know? If you don't have a car, best thing to do is leave it at home. People have mentioned getting away with having it on you as long as it's turned off (and absolutely do not turn it on during break - you will get caught) but I strongly advise against this. You've seen yourself, the consequences of being caught with one are very high, and not worth it.

I just re-read the LSAC guidelines and you're right, I don't see anything specifically prohibiting a battery-powered sharpener. But please, please don't bring it! I can only imagine how distracting it would be to hear the whirrrrrrring of a sharpener. I really feel like it's unlikely they would allow one anyway. It's unfortunately more of a plan-in-advance item. There are some awesome sharpeners on Amazon. This is the one I have and it rules: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G560JQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is there a Target in your area? They tend to have school supplies year-round. I got an awesome pencil case there, and feel like I remember seeing sharpeners.

Good luck!!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Here is an idea. Take your electric pencil sharpener, sharpen a bunch of pencils and take them into the test.

Even if you could use mechanical pencils, why would you. The goal is to fill in the bubbles quickly. That is not possible with a mechanical pencil's thinner lead. I actually pre-dullened my pencils a little to help with this.

As far as the phone, you can pay someone not from the test center to watch over it(a local business owner maybe?) Leave it in your car, leave it with the person dropping you off, or hide it sonewhere (preferably outside the test center). A nearby business's bathroom could work fine. Plastic bag it and put it in the water tank. Finally, you could not bring it. I can see how this would be more inconvenient than the pencil thing though. My phone is my GPS and I wanted to call lots of people when I finished and tell them how it went.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I am kind of surprised that schools do not offer to hold it at the front desk or library. But I get that it's likely liability. It does give me a great idea for a business, though. Sit out front with a desk and check people's stuff into secured pouches or lockers for a fee and just guard it during the testing.
    The mechanical pencil thing is supposedly because they can come apart, and you might be able to hide a little piece of rolled up paper inside one to use as a cheat sheet. Bizarre, but whatever. I never considered the clicking. That would drive me nuts. Rather glad they are banned.
    FYI, Walmart and some other places sell pre-sharpened natural wood #2 pencils (Ticonderoga I think?). I adore them. Ready to go, right out of the box. They'll be my go-to for testing. I haven't read that there is a limit you can bring. Anybody know? I mean, is 3 or maybe even 5 considered too many?

• plspeerplspeer Member
    58 karma

I’ve brought all 12 of the pencils that came in the box to three LSATs with no trouble. I don’t think there’s a limit.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah, no limit. Only limit is what can fit in your ziploc bag.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@xadrianas6x said: FYI, Walmart and some other places sell pre-sharpened natural wood #2 pencils (Ticonderoga I think?). I adore them. Ready to go, right out of the box. They'll be my go-to for testing. I haven't read that there is a limit you can bring. Anybody know? I mean, is 3 or maybe even 5 considered too many?

Ha! What a great idea. I'm def doing that. For the Sept lsat i had a regular sharpener but I would prefer not to deal with that again

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    edited February 2018 634 karma

I agree that LSAC can be really stingy and strict. I get why there's no mechanical pencils allowed though. For starters, the clicking would be super annoying. Secondly, it's easier to hide things within a mechanical pencil (for cheating) compared to a standard HB pencil. Re: the phone, I left my phone at home and had no trouble; I just hailed a cab when I got out of the testing center and headed home. I do see the trouble it would be for someone who doesn't live in the vicinity of the test centre.

The lack of storage is a good point. Some people at my testing centre clearly came from long distances and the proctors made them leave all their belongings (bags, larger coats) outside in the hallway, unmonitored, in a public building. Seemed kind of sketchy.

• bratty_nixbratty_nix Alum Member
    16 karma

I actually rented a car today specifically to avoid that cell issue. I uber everywhere so not having my phone/trying to figure public transport was giving me too much anxiety while prepping. I honestly couldn’t believe they don’t at least offer to hold it outside the room.