Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which law schools have you liked/disliked after visiting?

2»

Comments

• SerenityFalconSerenityFalcon Alum Member
    86 karma

@"Accounts Playable" Could you share more? What was it that you disliked about Georgetown and Penn? I have visited Georgetown a few times (and applied-- I live near DC already, so I'm curious if it was the school itself or the city you didn't like, and why), but haven't visited Penn. Based on map view, Penn looks pretty urban too. Does the urban setting bother you?

I'm also curious what you liked, specifically, about your visit to UVA?

@"Accounts Playable" said:
    I visited the entire T14 about a year ago. Just going off the campus and interactions with people, my favorites were UVA (by a long shot; who ever is in charge of marketing that law school to visitors deserves a raise), Yale, Duke, and Harvard.

Least favorite visits were Penn and Georgetown (very much disliked both visits; I didn't reapply go Georgetown and I debated not reapplying to Penn), Northwestern, maybe Stanford (the campus is pretty ugly in my opinion and you'd never think the building is home to a T3 law school. It's kind of a dump).

Everyone else was meshed together and fine overall. Michigan's law library is gorgeous, though.

86 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    I visited Georgetown during an admitted students open house with it being maybe #5 on my list. But gosh darnit they wined and dined and sold the hell out of me. It's honestly like #2 on my list now; I loved it so much. I especially loved the people I met. DC is amazing too.

I am also partial to DC and Georgetown! If money were no object, it would be my #1.

• @Emily2122 said:
    Hi everyone! I'm really liking these non-LSAT related posts. They're a fun way to take a break from the LSAT. I'm just curious what law schools you all have visited and which ones you liked and disliked and the reasons why. Were there any law schools that you visited that you thought you wanted to go to but visiting made you reconsider?

So far I've loved every one that I can't get into.

86 karma

@napiersh said:

I did not like Georgetown's law campus much at all either. Although it is just minutes walk from the capitol, it is completely separate from the main campus and small. It's surrounded by business buildings so it feels very industrial and cold. Living near the campus would be ridiculously expensive, so commuting is a must unless you can live on campus (FYI they don't allow married couples to live on campus unless both are attending law school).

I was also disappointed at first that Georgetown Law Center was not at the iconic main campus overlooking the Potomac River. But once I visited GLC, I realized its location as a separate law campus is much better situated for what law students need: walking distance from the seats of power (whereas the main campus is isolated by DC standards, way too far from Capitol Hill). As for size, I thought it was huge for just a law school-- none of the facilities are shared with any other student body. It has its own fitness center and pool, just for law students! I think the architecture is regal and inspiring, not industrial nor cold. (note: I have no other T14 schools to compare it to.) So much is subjective!

Georgetown housing: there are lots of pockets of (relatively) affordable housing near the DC metro. Of course if it's "student housing" you're after, the university is likely to steer you toward top of the line luxury apartments aimed at "rich Georgetown" students. That said, I can see how it would appear there are no affordable choices to a newcomer, especially if the school doesn't help with that angle. DC is still exploding with gentrification. So you may have to expand your viewing area beyond Capitol Hill to find a decently priced apartment-- and yes, that means commuting, but I highly suggest not commuting by car if you can avoid it. So live near transit.

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    edited February 2018 617 karma

@SerenityFalcon said:

@napiersh said:

I did not like Georgetown's law campus much at all either. Although it is just minutes walk from the capitol, it is completely separate from the main campus and small. It's surrounded by business buildings so it feels very industrial and cold. Living near the campus would be ridiculously expensive, so commuting is a must unless you can live on campus (FYI they don't allow married couples to live on campus unless both are attending law school).

I was also disappointed at first that Georgetown Law Center was not at the iconic main campus overlooking the Potomac River. But once I visited GLC, I realized its location as a separate law campus is much better situated for what law students need: walking distance from the seats of power (whereas the main campus is isolated by DC standards, way too far from Capitol Hill). As for size, I thought it was huge for just a law school-- none of the facilities are shared with any other student body. It has its own fitness center and pool, just for law students! I think the architecture is regal and inspiring, not industrial nor cold. (note: I have no other T14 schools to compare it to.) So much is subjective!

Georgetown housing: there are lots of pockets of (relatively) affordable housing near the DC metro. Of course if it's "student housing" you're after, the university is likely to steer you toward top of the line luxury apartments aimed at "rich Georgetown" students. That said, I can see how it would appear there are no affordable choices to a newcomer, especially if the school doesn't help with that angle. DC is still exploding with gentrification. So you may have to expand your viewing area beyond Capitol Hill to find a decently priced apartment-- and yes, that means commuting, but I highly suggest not commuting by car if you can avoid it. So live near transit.

It's very possible to live in Capitol Hill affordably. I lived in DC until last week, in a beautiful corner row house two blocks from Union Station, and only paid $755/month. Before that, I lived in a crappier row house in Bloomingdale (near Shaw, and a 10 minute bike ride straight down to capitol hill) for $825/month. You just have to be willing to do a lot of searching and visiting on craigslist. The good thing about DC is that it's very geographically small, and you can bike from one end of the city to the other in 30 minutes max.

If you want a 1BR apartment (which only makes sense if you're married/moving in with a partner), then yeah, that's going to be rather expensive (1600+) no matter where you look. But if you are married/with a partner and splitting the costs, you can find options that would come out to around $800-900 per person in Capitol Hill.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I visited my dream school, Columbia, and decided it was not for me. I mean its not like I would have gotten in anyway but I still needed to visit. The commute, first of all, would be a nightmare. It would be close to two hours one way. Also, most law students live on campus and that is not possible for me. I think I would be more of an outcast - I didn't get a good feeling about it from the tour. I also didn't get a good feeling from the admissions director or the way she answered questions. Equally, I was not very impressed with the students who were made available to us - they didn't seem very interested in us and it seemed like they were in a hurry. Anyway, I was so dissapointed but I'm glad I went and crossed it off my list. It wasn't going to be possible anyway with my numbers but at least I know there are other factors as to why its a no-go.