Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feb Test Logic Games

CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
edited February 2018 in February 2018 LSAT 1270 karma

I normally crush the LG section and I found it really hard. I couldn't get past a few inconsistencies (obviously on my end). But I would like to know just quick responses. Harder, typical, or easier than usual?

Comments

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

So weird. I felt exactly the opposite. I feel like RC was very easy. Damn. This is a weird test.

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

I've been doing well on LG but the one's today, I do not think I fared well. :(

• shanebekshanebek Alum Member
    21 karma

Yea same Feb2018Taker! I found the reading comp on this one easy and the games kind of difficult at first. I didn't diagram entirely though I should have for some of them... It was a 1L seq w/ twist, 2L seq, 1L basic seq (unknown man/woman), and then true grouping at the end.

Didn't find the LR's too difficult either. Also I had an lr experiemental.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Hey guys, please don't discuss specifics like game types. This is a violation of 7Sage and LSAC TOS.

1270 karma

No doubt. I just am trying to gauge hard, normal, or easy. That's not a violation right?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

@Feb2018Taker said:
    No doubt. I just am trying to gauge hard, normal, or easy. That's not a violation right?

Not at all!

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

RC beetles was HARD. I was stuck so many times between two answers and I thought 1 LG game was hard. ugh this test

• Crosby87Crosby87 Alum Member
    121 karma

I agree with you completely! Normally, LG is my best section but today it was by far my worst. I have been seeing some posts where people said they found the RC to be exceptionally hard, I had two RC and I found them to be easier than usual actually. In fact, I was even able to finish all the questions though I definitely rushed towards the end on them. My LG was also first so I slightly had nerves but I did genuinely find the games to be harder as well. Here's hoping I didn't do as bad as I thought.

• michelle.zysk99michelle.zysk99 Alum Member
    33 karma

Absolutely more difficult. I was feeling positive that I’d at least finish the games, but I sort of blacked out after the second ptoblem. I had no idea how to execute..,it looked foreign.

• Harmmanb-1Harmmanb-1 Alum Member
    edited February 2018 126 karma

I also took the LSAT today. I was able to finish one LG section, but the second LG section was much harder, especially the last game, which I had to bubble in at random. I'm hoping the second LG section is the experimental. I know there is no way to really know which is which but I can't help myself. My score is going to be very different depending on which is which.

Good luck everyone.

• MooseonthelooseMooseontheloose Alum Member
    92 karma

I found the rc to be easier than other pt's I've done, I understood all the passages to a degree where I could comfortably attempt questions, which sometimes isn't the case. I found the first 3 games simple, even though I made an error jotting down the rules on the Economics game(3rd) and had to guess a few questions to have a chance with the 4th game. It was sort of bittersweet, as this was my second attempt and I had fool-proofed games rigorously while not paying as much attention to RC.

on the other hand Logical Reasoning was pretty average in difficulty level.

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

I thought lr was hard... but that's probably because I was questioning my own thoughts.... strrreeesss ugh

126 karma

@Mooseontheloose said:
    I found the rc to be easier than other pt's I've done, I understood all the passages to a degree where I could comfortably attempt questions, which sometimes isn't the case. I found the first 3 games simple, even though I made an error jotting down the rules on the Economics game(3rd) and had to guess a few questions to have a chance with the 4th game. It was sort of bittersweet, as this was my second attempt and I had fool-proofed games rigorously while not paying as much attention to RC.

on the other hand Logical Reasoning was pretty average in difficulty> @shanebek said:
    Yea same Feb2018Taker! I found the reading comp on this one easy and the games kind of difficult at first. I didn't diagram entirely though I should have for some of them... It was a 1L seq w/ twist, 2L seq, 1L basic seq (unknown man/woman), and then true grouping at the end.

Didn't find the LR's too difficult either. Also I had an lr experiemental.

Did you have only one LG section?

1270 karma
    1. But in did poorly in the real one and got killed on the experimental
    126 karma

@Feb2018Taker said:
    2. But in did poorly in the real one and got killed on the experimental

How do you know which is the experimental?

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

I made two stupid stupid stupid STUPID rookie mistakes and caught them both at the last minute, I didn't have time to brute force to ensure I corrected them, but Im still so mad at myself for making them. I even diagramed them correctly but my mind threw them out the window during the questions. There goes over 3 months of fool proofing.

• J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma

I dunno. I’ve always been terrible at LG, but recently it’s become my best section. I found the games to be simple, but superficially difficult. Definitely weird rules I haven’t seen before. That said, I either did really well or messed up big time. I kept checking back at the rules to make sure bc it just all felt too simple on some games. Anyway, I normally finish games with a few minutes to spare, but I had to guess on one question today.

1501 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:
    I made two stupid stupid stupid STUPID rookie mistakes and caught them both at the last minute, I didn't have time to brute force to ensure I corrected them, but Im still so mad at myself for making them. I even diagramed them correctly but my mind threw them out the window during the questions. There goes over 3 months of fool proofing.

Just about the same here. I noticed something last minute and was erasing like crazy. All that practice. Bracing for June's test. But I am taking a much needed break from studying until the score comes out.

• Jennifer-4Jennifer-4 Member
    72 karma

@"Harmmanb-1" said:

@Feb2018Taker said:

The one with prerequisites n robbery (man woman siren ) is real.
    Bc those of us with only 1 lg had that one

126 karma

@"Jennifer-4" said:

@"Harmmanb-1" said:

@Feb2018Taker said:

The one with prerequisites n robbery (man woman siren ) is real.
    Bc those of us with only 1 lg had that one

Thank you so much. I would have gone crazy if I had to wait three weeks to figure that out.

126 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:

Did you mess up on the man woman game? I also mis-diagrammed on that one and I had no time to fix anything after I caught it.

903 karma

Yep, thats the one!

@"Harmmanb-1" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

Did you mess up on the man woman game? I also mis-diagrammed on that one and I had no time to fix anything after I caught it.

126 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:
    Yep, thats the one!

@"Harmmanb-1" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

Your not alone. I'm sure a lot of people made the same mistake.

903 karma

Its just SOOOOOOO frustrating. One simple rule may have cost me the entire game.

126 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:
    Its just SOOOOOOO frustrating. One simple rule may have cost me the entire game.

Its the nerves and anxiety of test day that causes these problems. If you take the test again, at least you will have faced it once already so the nerves will not be as bad.

• Crosby87Crosby87 Alum Member
    121 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Hey guys, please don't discuss specifics like game types. This is a violation of 7Sage and LSAC TOS.

Are we allowed to ask if there are any similar logic games in past LSAT’s? I want to practice those as I found today’s quite difficult and want to be prepared for June.

• bpocrassbpocrass Free Trial Member
    14 karma

The LG section is usually my "ace-in-the-hole". I struggle with the other sections and rely on the LG section to always get me (20-23) points. I had been taking practice LG sections all week and each time completed the entire section with a couple minutes to spare. Went to bed last night praying that I get a LG as my experimental. So, today comes around and prayers were answered - double games (LG in 1 and then LG in 3). Well...the LSAT gods decided to mess with me. Not sure what happened here today...but but the LG games hit me hard.

Funny because the actual games themselves weren't too hard but I felt like there were little things in there that made them a little difficult for me to diagram...i.e. abbreviated words not being alphabetically sequential, etc... I did manage to complete the 1st section but felt like I rushed through 2 of the games which typically leads to me making careless mistakes.

When I turned to section 3 and saw that it was a LG, I let out a sigh of relief because I then assumed that the first section was probably the experimental. So, now it was time for me to rock this one. Well...that didn't happen! Again, not sure what was in the air, but AGAIN, I had trouble with this LG! It's like my brain was still rattled from the LG section I took in section 1 that I couldn't fully get my composure back and get back into game mode. So, I only managed to get through 3 games in this section before hearing the 5 minute call - forcing me to literally just guess on most of the answers of the 4th game (something I never do). Turns out (thanks to you guys) that the section 3 (for me) was the experimental.

But still...sitting here now trying to figure out how the LG got me today....not once...but twice!

• wnivabyfdljwnivabyfdlj Alum Member
    edited February 2018 52 karma

I'm afraid to let myself predict either way at this point. I made a decision in December to take the LSAT so I know my fundamentals aren't completely solid, but I put in a ton of work and thanks to 7Sage, went in feeling confident and focused on working quickly and not getting rattled. It went well overall and I really didn't feel like any one section was a total disaster, but I've been burned by overconfidence in LR enough to keep my high hopes in check.

I had two RC sections and felt one was significantly easier than the other, but it was probably more of a focus issue on my part than any particularly tough passage. However, to comment on the logic games conversation... I am super disappointed.

I have made so much progress and really wanted to crush it! I also felt the first three games were fairly straightforward but I either didn't feel like I needed to or wasn't able to solve for all game boards up front on any of them, which is usually what I try to do. It was my first section and maybe it was nerves or the brute-force nature of the way I solved the first few games, but I lost a bunch of time somewhere in the middle and skipped two questions from the third game. Then I read the last one (prereqs) and froze on the setup. It seemed like I was going to run out of time on it (there were so many rules so maybe it wasn't going to be as bad as it looked but I was confused), so with 7 or so minutes to go I went back through and made sure I got the two questions I had skipped in game 3 and pretty much just bubbled Bs for game 4. I don't know where all the time went.

Ugh, I wish it wasn't an undisclosed test!!! It's going to kill me not to know after so much blind reviewing!

• ktvarda1ktvarda1 Alum Member
    edited February 2018 164 karma

Honestly, how unlucky were we that we got a rare game as our third game? That really sucked. I felt like this test was pretty hard. For me, a good score is dependent upon whether or not my first LR was the experiemental. Unfortunately, I don’t think it was.

• bpocrassbpocrass Free Trial Member
    14 karma

The Prerequisite thing really messed with me I think because I was being literal with the word instead of just treating it as a category. Was I the only one getting thrown off by that? Very possible because I was obviously in rattled "test mode".

52 karma

@bpocrass said:
    The Prerequisite thing really messed with me I think because I was being literal with the word instead of just treating it as a category. Was I the only one getting thrown off by that? Very possible because I was obviously in rattled "test mode".

Totally thrown off by that.

• ktvarda1ktvarda1 Alum Member
    164 karma

100% threw me off too. For that game, I just made the O inference and it helped a bit. That was a hard game.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited February 2018 9372 karma

Hi @Feb2018Taker,

Can you move this thread to February 2018 category? It will be easier to find information about the undisclosed test for people in the future or LSAT historians.

Tagging: @"Cant Get Right" @"Alan Cheuk"

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14008 karma

@akistotle thanks for tagging! It's been updated now.

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    edited February 2018 634 karma

LG is usually my best section (it was my worst until I foolproofed like crazy) and I found this LG to be particularly difficult.

Not because of any crazy rules or hard inferences, but because of how odd the rules were. I can see how Feb's LG was easy/normal for those who can apply their knowledge easily, but difficult for those who are accustomed to regurgitating known game boards/inferences/rules.

I am the latter (I rely on getting by LG through recognition and familiarity) and I had a really hard time with diagramming the games. Like the robbery game, I had no idea how to diagram the sounds. Same with the econ game and the prerequisite thing. I ended up getting so nervous with the unfamiliarity that I choked and bombed the entire section.

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

I had LG - LR - LG - RC - LR so I took an experimental LG and the real.

I thought the experimental LG with the items going to the fairs was incredibly hard... So much freedom of movement that it was hard to make inferences. The first 3 were pretty simple and I got to that last game with over 10 minutes left but the amount of brute forcing necessary left me rushing answers. Of course, I could have just missed a few key pieces of information but I was very happy to find out it was the experimental. It felt like they purposely gave 3 easy ones so they could gauge the difficult level of that last game... Maybe the first 3 were to qualify the basic skill level of the testers so they could get a lot of information on the scale of difficulty of the last game. It's probably not hard for them to make easy games... and it's probably the most important that they have a correctly tuned "hard game" for the game 4 of future LSATs.

As for the real LG section... the first game was surprisingly easy and straightforward. The upper/lower hall didn't have any tricks either and inferences to limit the game board could be made. The crime scene game with the sounds made me pause for a little bit... The setup didn't make it readily apparent how to setup which variables you were gonna use. The wording was much different than usual and I had to re-do the coding of my variables once before I started but a simple second-letter designator on the noises helped clear up confusion and the game was easier to visualize and map from there. I could definitely see how it would throw people off from beginning (as it did to me) and cause problems with recovery if they already felt like they weren't ahead of time.

The last game on the real section about economics with prereqs definitely had a lot more to keep track of! At first it appears as manageable to visualize the moving pieces in your head as the first 3 games but then you add in the prereq (which could move too!) and all the interplay between that and then the possible solutions are not more open-ended but they also go 3+ layers deep! It makes it MUCH harder to eliminate answer choices by making a quick inference or playing out half of a scenario in your head because you can't!!! It takes a lot of time to make 3 inferences per answer choice even if you could work through it in your head. Definitely needed to get to the last game with some time to spare if you wanted to be confident in your answer choices. It makes me think that you really needed to be solid on your basic mechanics for the upper hall/lower hall to power through and then work through the little adversity and get a little creative to not spend too much time on the crime scene game so that you would have the time necessary for the last game which was clearly a big time sink.

I couldn't work through every answer choice on the last game because of the time required so I had to take the strategy of working my way through the answer choices until I got one that worked out, circled it, and moved on without checking the rest of the answer choices. It wasn't 100% confidence like I would want, but I figured in the situation that it was my best bet for getting a somewhat good answer choice for the remaining problems.

52 karma

@kshutes13 said:
    LG is usually my best section (it was my worst until I foolproofed like crazy) and I found this LG to be particularly difficult.

Not because of any crazy rules or hard inferences, but because of how odd the rules were. I can see how Feb's LG was easy/normal for those who can apply their knowledge easily, but difficult for those who are accustomed to regurgitating known game boards/inferences/rules.

I am the latter (I rely on getting by LG through recognition and familiarity) and I had a really hard time with diagramming the games. Like the robbery game, I had no idea how to diagram the sounds. Same with the econ game and the prerequisite thing. I ended up getting so nervous with the unfamiliarity that I choked and bombed the entire section.

I struggled with this too, especially in the economics game, which I barely diagrammed at all because of time-crunch panic mode. Not sure how much it matters to you at this point, but I just went with subscripts and the noises weren't too much trouble, especially since they were mostly interchangeable. It still took me way longer than I'd have liked to get through that game.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Ugh you guys are making me panic. I thought I did well in games (had only the real section) but now I'm not so sure. The woman/man one was hard upon first glance but then it became a basic game type with a twist (will not say which type to avoid violating lsac rules) after I organized it in my head. The upper and lower one I just kind of split the board game into different possibilities and kept it organized in my head. I barely remember the first since that was long-ish by pretty basic. The last one I only inferred that one class had a prerequisite and just remembered that as I went through the questions and diag- was in a time crunch for that too. How screwed am I?

1501 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    . . . How screwed am I?

Lol sounds like you did fine whereas a ton of us others feel as if we may have struggled.

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

@mcglz_64 I did everything you just shared... but ran out of time for two questions on the economics classes game. I hope we are not screwed...

• So__WhatSo__What Alum Member
    17 karma

I suck at LGs and found the games to be more difficult than normal, got 3/4 games, didn't have enough time to finish the last one. Found the LR and RC to be average.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    Ugh you guys are making me panic. I thought I did well in games (had only the real section) but now I'm not so sure. The woman/man one was hard upon first glance but then it became a basic game type with a twist (will not say which type to avoid violating lsac rules) after I organized it in my head. The upper and lower one I just kind of split the board game into different possibilities and kept it organized in my head. I barely remember the first since that was long-ish by pretty basic. The last one I only inferred that one class had a prerequisite and just remembered that as I went through the questions and diag- was in a time crunch for that too. How screwed am I?

I’d say unless you made a major mistake, sounds like you’ll be fine. I felt like LG on the Feb test was so generous. I had two LG sections and there was only 1 substitution q—unlike Dec. The games were simple in structure. They added twists and tried to switch how elements were referenced. Some of the twists were sneakier than others. Looks to me like you’ll be fine.
    I think ppl tried to worry about prerequisites when only 1 was definitely assigned and 2 was a possibility. It didn’t need to be considered(placed) at all in the setup- just noted. I waited for the qs to bring it up. Didn’t worry about creating worlds either, just noted the distribution possibilities. This section definitely punished those who had to nail solved worlds before going into the qs.

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    737 karma

I’d say unless you made a major mistake, sounds like you’ll be fine. I felt like LG on the Feb test was so generous. I had two LG sections and there was only 1 substitution q—unlike Dec. The games were simple in structure. They added twists and tried to switch how elements were referenced. Some of the twists were sneakier than others. Looks to me like you’ll be fine.
    I think ppl tried to worry about prerequisites when only 1 was definitely assigned and 2 was a possibility. It didn’t need to be considered(placed) at all in the setup- just noted. I waited for the qs to bring it up. Didn’t worry about creating worlds either, just noted the distribution possibilities. This section definitely punished those who had to nail solved worlds before going into the qs.

I agree. I was using the same approach with the 4th game, although I ended up running out of time. I don't think there were necessarily a ton of inferences that needed to be made upfront.

• ilokmacailokmaca Free Trial Member
    66 karma

Can we ask how many were on each game in the real LG section? If yes, I hereby ask?

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

There was 23 q's on the LG, a 27 RC, and both LRs were 25... for a total of 100 questions. 1 less than the usual 101 but not unheard of.> @ilokmaca said:

Can we ask how many were on each game in the real LG section? If yes, I hereby ask?

• Flyers_Cup18Flyers_Cup18 Member
    14 karma

Wow- I butchered this test! I went into it not taking a full test and also did not time myself at all! I spent a bunch of time doing questions and watched a ton of videos that explained the types of questions to expect and how to approach them- specifically LR. Games I spent the least amount of time and RC I kind of just thought I would be ok regardless. Wow was I wrong! Came home signed up immediately with 7 sage. Looking forward to improving in each section during the lead up to December! $180.00 lesson lol. Glad I went through that-learned a bunch!

• sunflowersandlawsunflowersandlaw Alum Member
    360 karma

I felt super uncertain about the games for this test too. These games were super untraditional. I felt like all of them had a twist one way or another. Is this maybe what the LSAT is heading towards? Either way, I felt uneasy so I totally know what you mean!

1501 karma

@sunflowersandlaw said:
    I felt super uncertain about the games for this test too. These games were super untraditional. I felt like all of them had a twist one way or another. Is this maybe what the LSAT is heading towards? Either way, I felt uneasy so I totally know what you mean!

I feel the same as you!

• ilokmacailokmaca Free Trial Member
    66 karma

@"mickey.caleb" said:

There was 23 q's on the LG, a 27 RC, and both LRs were 25... for a total of 100 questions. 1 less than the usual 101 but not unheard of.> @ilokmaca said:

Thanks. But what about the number of questions on each of the 4 LG games - 5 6 7 5 - or something like that?