First T-14 response - Wait List at U.Mich!

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
edited February 2018 in Law School Admissions 13286 karma

It's not a "no" guys :D I have a chance, this is super exciting for me. As a splitter (2.8gpa/171 LSAT) I didn't think I'd make it to even the waitlist...

Guys...guys! I have a shot at U.Mich!!

Thank you so much 7Sage for getting me as far as you have! I love you guys.

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

May the Force be with you. I hope you get in!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited February 2018 4196 karma

Sorry to hear, man! it's a slaughter-fest on LSL, LSN, and reddit :(

best of luck with the rest of your cycle though, and maybe getting into Mich! :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27801 karma

Time to write a great LOCI!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@TheMikey said:
    Sorry to hear, man! it's a slaughter-fest on LSL, LSN, and reddit :(

best of luck with the rest of your cycle though, and maybe getting into Mich! :)

I saw Reddit...almost everyone that got the WL was 170+ which is interesting to me... but hey, I'm looking at it positively, I wasn't rejected!

@"Cant Get Right" Already started it :D I'm more excited about this than I should be....

@westcoastbestcoast Thank you! It's exciting to see movement.

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Rooting for you!

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Crossing fingers!

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3521 karma

I just got waitlisted too! :disappointed: ; but I'm above their numbers so idk what to think. Yield protection?

Edit: Looking at lawschoolnumbers.com's admissions ticker right now...

Lots of people with really high numbers getting waitlisted at Michigan!

13286 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    I just got waitlisted too! :disappointed: ; but I'm above their numbers so idk what to think. Yield protection?

Just looking at reddit alone it looks like anyone 169+ was waitlist lol

@LSATcantwin UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't they know I would love to go there :disappointed:

13286 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @LSATcantwin UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Right?! lol don't they know the first school to outright accept me will probably make me fall in love because I am so desperate haha

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma

Hoping for positive responses for both of you @LSATcantwin and @"Paul Caint"!

https://media.giphy.com/media/GQT9tuAchaBG0/giphy.gif

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27801 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

Not if you didn't tell them! Time to write a killer LOCI to let them know! If your stats are too far up on them, it's very likely yield protection. They'll figure you'll likely get offers at higher ranked schools and so why waste the offer?

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Attaboy!!! you got your foot in the door, now show them what's up!

3521 karma

@"Cant Get Right" @LSATcantwin When would you guys recommend sending in a LOCI? Immediately? Like Today??? Or in a few months?

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

Do you think they're sending mass waitlists to buy them time cause too many applicants??
    ROOTING FOR YOU BOTH :)

@adillpickle That's the way it seems to me. To be honest I sent my application to UMich pretty late, like around January 5th. I was kind of surprised when I got a response back this early, part of me doubts they even read my file (PS, letters of rec, etc.) and just waitlisted me because they've already accepted too many people.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @"Cant Get Right" @LSATcantwin When would you guys recommend sending in a LOCI? Immediately? Like Today??? Or in a few months?

I sent a really short LOCI immediately after I got waitlisted, and I’m planning to send a more substantive LOCI in March.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

CONGRATS!!!!!!!

• ile.ile.ileile.ile.ile Free Trial Member
    28 karma

Did y’all write a “Why Michigan”?

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Good job! Waitlisted is not a "no" so def something to be excited about : )!! Check out this article:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/the-only-3-things-that-matter-on-the-waitlist/

• needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    edited February 2018 175 karma

WL as well. Is sending in a Why UMich and an LSAT addendum a bad idea? (assuming they want me to address my huge score differences)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@needmylsat180 said:
    WL as well. Is sending in a Why UMich and an LSAT addendum a bad idea? (assuming they want me to address my huge score differences)

I would say it's a great idea. If you don't want to send them both at once you could string them out over a few weeks: one now and one in a bit. They accepted me on Valentine's Day a little over two months after I applied in an act of profound love which I can only assume is either because I obeyed their instructions to me at a law school fair to write an LSAT addendum or because I wrote a convincing Why Michigan essay.

Disclaimer: My acceptance could also be because I am a Michigander so it made less sense to yield protect me. I had a little built in yield protection resistance.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Jumping in to reiterate the LOCI question posed by @"Paul Caint"

What's the conventional wisdom on LOCI timing? As soon as you can write a good one, or wait until march when they start reevaluating WLers? I'm in at UofM (glory be!) but I just got WL at Duke and Penn this week, so I'm writing my letters, but unsure when to send them.... Help!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Yes, agreeing with other people. Maybe tell them you're really happy they're considering your application and mention some of your qualifications and thank them for their time. There's definitely hope and good for you for viewing it in a positive way.

• needmylsat180needmylsat180 Alum Member
    175 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" do you mind to read my why umich? I am not sure whether it fits their taste :(

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@needmylsat180 said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" do you mind to read my why umich? I am not sure whether it fits their taste :(

I'll read it if you PM me or post it. I can't say I know their taste for sure.

@tylerdschreur10
    I don't know the best timing for sure, but I wouldn't wait untill March. I recommend taking however long you need to make sure it is well written and not a hasty reaction to the wait list. You just want to make it as clear as you can without lying that you are likely to attend if accepted.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

That's awesome, hope you get a positive response! Congratulations!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited February 2018 3072 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

What is your new score?!?

You're killing me. :P

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

You’re still in the game, @LSATcantwin!! Woohoo! Send in a LOCI!

• slothmankingslothmanking Alum Member
    73 karma

You got this @LSATcantwin! I’m a fellow Non-traditional 2.8GPA guy and hoping to be in your position soon. Good luck and thanks again for the awesome webinar!!

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

So glad to hear!!!

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Hopefully, it'll be one of those years in which dozens of students are accepted off the waitlist.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Hopefully, it'll be one of those years in which dozens of students are accepted off the waitlist.

I hope so too!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@uhinberg said:

It sounds like people are applying to more schools than in the past, which is leading to lots of waitlists, and I would think, lots of admits off waitlists. At least that's what I'm hoping and convincing myself!