Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I get a consultant? How to choose one?

LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
edited February 2018 in Law School Admissions 2134 karma

Hi all -

I'm panicking about everything - June test, applications, LORs, emails to schools, strategy. I'm trying really hard to stay as calm as possible and focus on studying but its hard. I've been thinking for a while that I should probably work with a professional and I'm trying to figure out how to go about it. David Busis is an option as well as a few others. I just don't know if I'm having a knee-jerk reaction to my anxiety/stress or if working with a consultant will get me to where I need to be.

A little about me - I'm not a 4.0/160 person. My numbers are below medians and most cases below the 25th percentile. I know its going to be hard for me to get in to a decent school but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars for someone to tell me I'm not going to get into a decent school. What I DO want is to talk to a professional about my LOR, resume and various questions that come up regarding my application. But damn, they all charge thousands!! I feel like I'll be in debt before I even start law school :(.

Any help on your experience with consultants and how you chose one would be appreciated.

Should I get a consultant? How to choose one?
  1. Should I get a consultant?23 votes
    1. No way, they are overpriced. You can get all the advice you need here or the internet.
      69.57%
    2. Do it. Its worth it because of your sucky numbers.
      30.43%

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

I'd imagine these consultants will give you at least the initial consultation for free, just to give you some realistic idea of what to expect from your cycle. I can look over your stuff and give you my impression if you struggle to find someone to do that for you.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

It's important that we know what your numbers are. You say below the 25th percentile, but that number changes for every single school. Every school puts different weight on each part of the application.

Usually, if you have a low GPA you have to offset with at least a decent LSAT. Otherwise, you'll have a very small selection of decent schools. When assessing possible schools, be wary of the percentage that are employed at graduation, and a year after graduation (in a job that requires bar passage). Many times schools below 50-60 have frighteningly low numbers. For example, in 2013, only 50% of graduates had secured a full-time job requiring bar passage. Unfortunately, the lower you go down on the totem pole, the less valuable a law degree becomes.

The admissions people on 7sage have awesome reviews. But, don't expect them to get you into a school where you're below the 25th percentile. Even for schools where you are hovering around the 25th percentile, the chances that you are going to get in are slim at best. This is because schools use what is referred to as "presumptive admit/deny indexes". They use these indexes to weed out candidates that are simply too far from the numbers that they are looking for. If you fall into the presumptive deny category for a given school, they will only glance at your application before throwing it away.

I think it's very important to realize that a good set of numbers should precede application tutors. You should think of their services as "icing on the cake". They've worked miracles in the past, but don't pay thousands of dollars hoping for a miracle. Law school is (in large part) a financial decision, after all.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Hey all - thank you for your thoughts. Very helpful. Target or realistic schools are Rutgers, Seton Hall, Villanova and Cardozo. Villanova is ranked 77th so that's probably as low as I'll go. GPA is sub 3.0 and LSAT was just under 140. Crappy and more crappy - which is probably why I'm experiencing so much anxiety. I would need to bring up my LSAT to mid-150's (hoping for at least 160) to have a chance in these schools. I haven't looked up their employment stats but I'll go ahead and do that later today.

@BagelBiter yes, applying now and then applying again next cycle is an option. I may even take the Sept LSAT if June is not a high enough score. I was hoping to get in this fall because I've put so much time, money and effort into this. I feel like my family is just in waiting mode until I figure out what to do with my life. I don't want then to wait another year. Also, I have over 20 years of work experience : ).

Thank you again. I have the + package which comes with basic consulting so I think I'll start with David Busis and his team and see where that goes.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@LCMama2017 would you be comfortable post-poning a cycle to bring that lsat score up? That's the #1 thing you could do to improve your chances.

2134 karma

@jkatz1488 I would rather not do that but I may not have a choice. I just don't want to because that's another year of delay and at 44 I'm not getting any younger. I agree with you that the LSAT score has to come up to a decent number.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@LCMama2017

I think law school admissions consultants will tell you:
    1) You should adjust your school list; 2) If you think you can raise your score, study hard for the LSAT.

Are you applying for the class entering in the fall of 2018? Does Villanova accept June LSAT? You say your LSAT score is just below 140, but is it a 139? What are your sectional scores? Have you finished CC? You have four months until the June LSAT, and I think it is possible for you to get a 155+, but I think your money is better spent on hiring LSAT tutors than admission consultants charging $3k+.

2134 karma

@akistotle I didn't even think about lsat tutors. That is a great idea. The lsat score is def the key and you are right, much better way to spend my money. Thank you for that advice. I would love to go to school this fall but I am prepared to not get any offers and apply again early in Sept/Oct. I don't know my section scores for the Sept test. I've never looked at them - once I got my score I just shut down. I am still working on the CC - close to finishing LR. LR is def my weakest point so I'm spending alot of time reviewing videos and understanding the content better.

Thank you all so much for your advice.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    @akistotle I didn't even think about lsat tutors. That is a great idea. The lsat score is def the key and you are right, much better way to spend my money. Thank you for that advice. I would love to go to school this fall but I am prepared to not get any offers and apply again early in Sept/Oct. I don't know my section scores for the Sept test. I've never looked at them - once I got my score I just shut down. I am still working on the CC - close to finishing LR. LR is def my weakest point so I'm spending alot of time reviewing videos and understanding the content better.

Thank you all so much for your advice.

I'm glad you found it helpful :blush: Once you finish the CC, you should spend time fool proofing LG. I started in your range (my first PT score after completing PowerScore books was a 142; my cold diagnostic was probably in high 130s), but after focusing on LG for two months with 7Sage, I got a 155. After that, I'm slowly getting better at LR/RC and now in high 160s. So I know it's definitely possible for you. LR was my weakest section then, but improving on LG is much easier/faster than LR.

2134 karma

@akistotle said:

I'm glad you found it helpful :blush: Once you finish the CC, you should spend time fool proofing LG. I started in your range (my first PT score after completing PowerScore books was a 142; my cold diagnostic was probably in high 130s), but after focusing on LG for two months with 7Sage, I got a 155. After that, I'm slowly getting better at LR/RC and now in high 160s. So I know it's definitely possible for you. LR was my weakest section then, but improving on LG is much easier/faster than LR.

Thank you! I really needed to hear that. I have always liked LG and have a feeling once I start it that maybe things will turn around for me. Wow, you are in the 160's and started in the high 130's! That is awesome! Thank you so much for chiming in with your stats it really helps. I'm off to finish some videos before bedtime.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@LCMama2017 From personal experience, I thoroughly enjoyed working with David Busis on my application. His help truly helped me write an essay that is representative of myself and I was able to get into a number of schools where my numbers were median. Although law school admissions is a numbers game, having a polished Personal Statement can only help you stand out for the masses.

I was originally concerned about the price but we worked out a monthly payment plan that divided up the total payment into manageable chunks.

2134 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    @LCMama2017 From personal experience, I thoroughly enjoyed working with David Busis on my application. His help truly helped me write an essay that is representative of myself and I was able to get into a number of schools where my numbers were median. Although law school admissions is a numbers game, having a polished Personal Statement can only help you stand out for the masses.

I was originally concerned about the price but we worked out a monthly payment plan that divided up the total payment into manageable chunks.

Hey - great, thank you for your experience. Great to have recommendations! And a monthly payment plan is certainly better than one lump sum.

• clarkermclarkerm Alum Member
    49 karma

@LCMama2017 I second what @westcoastbestcoast said. I too worked with David (am still working with him now that offers are in). I cannot recommend his services enough! I ended up with double digit drafts on my PS, not to mention all the other essays I had to write and I don't think I would have pushed through all these drafts on my own if I didn't have the editing team. Prices are hefty but if I had to do it all again, I would not hesitate to purchase consulting again.

2134 karma

@clarkerm thank you for your feeback! I'm going to focus on the lsat for now and consider consulting services in a few more months. Thanks again - I keep hearing good things about David Busis : )