Admitted to some schools but have decided to sit this cycle out - should I still go to ASDs

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited February 2018 in Law School Admissions 3652 karma

I was thinking about going to an ASD for a school that is a short drive from me, and I was just invited to another school's Alumni Reception which is apps and drinks at a local restaurant. I'm wondering if it would be beneficial for networking and getting more familiar with the admissions process. I'm nervous for the possibility of having to interview for some law schools next cycle so maybe this would make me a lil more comfortable.

Or is it just a waste of time as it will take away from LSAT studying

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I don't see why not except that if you know for sure there is no way you will go this cycle you should probably turn down the spot as soon as possible to free it up for someone else unless that would harm your cycle next year somehow.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3788 karma

If you are planning to sit the cycle out for sure, I would agree that it would be polite for you to withdraw your apps, so that people can move off the wait list. If i were you, I would prioritize LSAT prep because even 1 or a couple points improvement on your exam can have an appreciable impact on your future. While networking is indeed important, this is something you can focus on once have your new and improved LSAT score and once you submit your new apps next cycle :)

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

I think you should attend any event that provides free apps and booze...

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I totally understand those saying you should withdraw. I agree, but I also may do the same thing. I’m not sure yet if I’m going to go this year, I’m considering pushing back a year. But I may attend an ASW or two, particularly for schools I’m a little borderline about. I think it could help me decide both if I want to attend this year and how I feel about these schools. I think it’d be helpful having a feel for them before re-applying also. I do agree though that it’s considerate to think of other students who might be on wait lists, and withdrawing would free up a spot. There’s an argument for both sides, I think.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I just declined all of my acceptances except for the one which I want to go to the ASD for as it's the only one I would consider attending this cycle. It's a relief to turn down those lower ranked schools as it feels like a step toward reaching my potential and it asserts my goal of going to a t12 next cycle.

3788 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    I just declined all of my acceptances except for the one which I want to go to the ASD for as it's the only one I would consider attending this cycle. It's a relief to turn down those lower ranked schools as it feels like a step toward reaching my potential and it asserts my goal of going to a t12 next cycle.

Sounds like a good choice @"surfy surf". When is your ASD? I have one I'll be attending in April and I'm anxious/excited for it.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@"surfy surf" said:

Sounds like a good choice @"surfy surf". When is your ASD? I have one I'll be attending in April and I'm anxious/excited for it.

I'm going to UCI's. I think it's April 5-6. I actually might not even go as I don't see the benefit. I thought it would be cool to check out a law school espesh since it's my undergrad but I think it's kind of messed up to go with the mindset of being 99% sure i'm gonna sit this cycle out. Which one are you going to?

3788 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@"surfy surf" said:

I'm going to UCI's. I think it's April 5-6. I actually might not even go as I don't see the benefit. I thought it would be cool to check out a law school espesh since it's my undergrad but I think it's kind of messed up to go with the mindset of being 99% sure i'm gonna sit this cycle out. Which one are you going to?

Going to illinois and Im waiting to hear back for UCI. Hmm as long as you are cordial and show continued interest in UCI, they wont hold it against you in the end.