Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When should I start using the Foolproof Method for Logic Games?

arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
in Logic Games 139 karma

Hi everyone! This is my first post on here :)
I was wondering at which point in the syllabus y'all recommend incorporating the foolproof method...when we start doing full-length PTs, or earlier, at some point during the core curriculum?
Logic Games are currently my greatest challenge so I want to take the best approach from the get-go.
Thank you!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I'd suggest you start once you have the fundamentals of diagramming down. Some people improve very quickly on LG. Others, like me, improve very slow on LG. I started too late on LG; I got more wrong on LG than the other three sections combined. Don't be like me.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

You want to do a little bit as you go. Foolproof each game type until you feel comfortable with it before moving forward in the curriculum. The provided drills should be enough. From there, I’d recommend foolproofing some full sections before you start PTing. You may need to PT to diagnose issues in LR and RC, but until you’ve done some heavy foolproofing on LG, you know what the problem is.

@Sami and I are actually going to be doing an LG webinar next week that addresses some important elements of foolproofing, so keep an eye out on the forums for that! Hope you can make it!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited February 2018 4423 karma

@nivaasya said:
    Hi everyone! This is my first post on here :)
    I was wondering at which point in the syllabus y'all recommend incorporating the foolproof method...when we start doing full-length PTs, or earlier, at some point during the core curriculum?
    Logic Games are currently my greatest challenge so I want to take the best approach from the get-go.
    Thank you!

I foolproofed 1-35 for a month and a half after the CC before I started PTing.

I then got impatient with the PTs and started doing them on the weekends while foolproofing.

When I finished foolproofing 1-35 it felt like foolproofing had helped a lot, but I could use all the help I could get with games so I foolproofed additional games as I did them in the PTs

So my prep ended up being Core curriculum --> Mostly Games with some PTing and blind review --> Mostly PTing and Blind Review with a little bit of Foolproofing and a tiny bit of other drilling.

Games were by far my weakest section type and the others were pretty strong so you might need to adapt this for other sections to have some time for improvement too. However, it worked out pretty well(a lot better than my prep for my first take without 7sage).

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I started it basically immediately, and used the process to figure out what types of games I was weaker in as I went on!

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2018 1866 karma

Like other have said, I would start it immediately.

I would begin with the games covered in the CC, both the ones JY uses in his videos and the ones in the problem sets. After finishing the CC, I would foolproof the rest of 1-35 while taking a PT every two or three weeks. Then move on from there in terms of PTing, drilling LR/RC, and foolproofing.
    PTs are snapshots of your progress, so you don't want to take bunch straight out of the CC if you're not comfortable with games yet. But taking a few as you foolproof 1-35 will get you used to full-length exams and force you to synthesize and employ all that you've learned across the CC.

• arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
    139 karma

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate all your advice, will start foolproofing ASAP then :)

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited February 2018 9372 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    @Sami and I are actually going to be doing an LG webinar next week that addresses some important elements of foolproofing, so keep an eye out on the forums for that! Hope you can make it!

Yaaaaay!
    https://i.imgur.com/3ifevdZ.gif

• lawhopefullawhopeful Alum Member
    edited February 2018 28 karma

I have the ultimate package and am currently doing In/Out games. I feel so stuck. Every single LG question that I've come across I've had to note down to go back and review because I either am lost or because I spend way too much time. How do you guys fit fool proofing into your study schedules? How long did it take for you to feel like you've grasped LG?

I haven't been taking full PTs yet because I'm still finishing up the core curriculum. How have you guys fool proofed logic games for the core curriculum?

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

@lawhopeful said:
    I have the ultimate package and am currently doing In/Out games. I feel so stuck. Every single LG question that I've come across I've had to note down to go back and review because I either am lost or because I spend way too much time.

Hey! I get the struggle, but I wouldn't worry too much. You'll get better with practice and exposure to different types of games. Eventually, you'll see patterns that you can apply to new games.

LG was actually my worst section on my diagnostic. After the CC, I was struggling with time during PTs, often not even making it through 1-2 of the four games. In/out games were also my worst. After I began FPing, within a couple months I was consistently finishing games on PTs, missing at most -3, and had a better understanding of the types of boards and inferences I could make for each new game I came across.
    For in/out games specifically, getting your conditional logic down solid will make a big difference.

Just hang in there! It'll get easier with practice!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I would say do it after the CC. Fool proofing really does help. I started with only getting 5 correct and ended up with only 2 wrong for my highest LG, those were careless unfortunately