Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does Columbia first reserve mean? Do they have second reserve?

RelaxlsaterRelaxlsater Alum Member
edited February 2018 in Law School Admissions 10 karma

I submitted my application to Columbia on Jan. 5 and was waitlisted yesterday. When I was filling in the reserve form I discovered the form was titled "first reserve", does anyone know what it means? Thxxx!

Comments

• RelaxlsaterRelaxlsater Alum Member
    10 karma

nbd...

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I don’t really think ppl are ghostin’ you. I just think that the ppl who saw this have no idea. I certainly don’t.—A.c.S

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I'm "first reserve" also. I don't think there's a "second reserve." We are de-facto waitlisted, but Columbia calls it "reserve" since they don't rank kids like in some waitlists like "if this person says no to our offer, Paul is the next kid we want....if Paul says no, John is the next kid we want...etc." Instead, they re-review each person's application to see which ones they want to extend offers to in May.

10 karma

Thank you both guys!

10 karma

Just have the impression that CLS sent out so many Waitlists that they dun actually reject ppl lol

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

There is a first reserve, a second reserve, and a third reserve (you can event visit the URLs for these pages where you opt in to the reserve list!). They are listed not in order or hierarchy but strictly ordered by time/cycles. Here's how it works:
    1. If you are put on the reserve list from regular admissions, you are placed on first reserve to be reviewed at the end of May (once the school has heard back from their students admitted ED/RD).
    2. In the end of May, you are either accepted or rejected or placed on second reserve to be reviewed again in June, depending on the number of folks that accept or reject their ED/RD offer.
    3. Near the end of June, this second reserve pool goes through the process again: either rejected, accepted, or deferred again to the third reserve depending on the folks who accept/reject from the first reserve pool.
    4. Near the end of July, this third reserve pool goes through the process once again, except everyone is either rejected or accepted. There is no fourth reserve.

I also got on first reserve at Columbia. :B Hoping to publish this paper I've been working on to show some recent accomplishments for my letter of continued interest. Best of luck!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

wow congrats on first reserve! curious about this question as well

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@PublicInterested said:
    There is a first reserve, a second reserve, and a third reserve (you can event visit the URLs for these pages where you opt in to the reserve list!). They are listed not in order or hierarchy but strictly ordered by time/cycles. Here's how it works:
    1. If you are put on the reserve list from regular admissions, you are placed on first reserve to be reviewed at the end of May (once the school has heard back from their students admitted ED/RD).
    2. In the end of May, you are either accepted or rejected or placed on second reserve to be reviewed again in June, depending on the number of folks that accept or reject their ED/RD offer.
    3. Near the end of June, this second reserve pool goes through the process again: either rejected, accepted, or deferred again to the third reserve depending on the folks who accept/reject from the first reserve pool.
    4. Near the end of July, this third reserve pool goes through the process once again, except everyone is either rejected or accepted. There is no fourth reserve.

I also got on first reserve at Columbia. :B Hoping to publish this paper I've been working on to show some recent accomplishments for my letter of continued interest. Best of luck!

didn't know this, thanks!

10 karma

@PublicInterested said:

@PublicInterested said:

Thanks man! This is so clear, best of luck!