Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Part time job recommendations

jjoushlynjjoushlyn Alum Member
edited February 2018 in General 198 karma

Hello everyone ,

I am currently in Chicago and I am working as a teacher. However, I’ve discovered this may not be the route to allow me to make my best efforts for law school in studying for the LSAT. I’ve decided to quit because I am not happy. However, I’ve only been out of college for almost a year (graduated last spring ). I’m not sure what’s a good part time or even full time job for me to get that will allow me time to study . I’ve looked on indeed.com and other sites but it’s been so hard finding anything . If anyone has been down this road before or has any advice on what I can do to meet my financial requirements (basic bills such as phone, car note , and insurance) I would be so greatly. I know this is the right choice but if I can avoid stressing this entire time about money I know I can raise my score .

Comments

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Try the YMCA. Sometimes the hours can be flexible. You can make some money and still have time to study.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    edited February 2018 1723 karma

If you don't mind the late nights, being a waiter is pretty good money (depending on restaurant type and some other variables). It sucks going home late but if you can snag a job at a place that only does dinner like I have, you can study in the morning/afternoon and go into work in the evening.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

"allow me time to study"
    How much time?

" I can do to meet my financial requirements"
    Be specific about what your current bills are, and there is any room to bring those bills down.

• jjoushlynjjoushlyn Alum Member
    198 karma

@10000019 well the bills are the same as I posted .. my car note , phone bill , and car insurance. So I basically already reduced as much as I can.

198 karma

Thanks for the comments everyone !

198 karma

@10000019 I’m thinking 25 hours a week though.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I imagine as a teacher you would make a pretty good tutor and there has to be some demand for tutors either in high school or college classes in Chicago.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

Something stress free.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Maybe sat tutoring? Or if your lsat scores are high enough you could tutor that too

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@jjoushlyn said:
    @10000019 well the bills are the same as I posted .. my car note , phone bill , and car insurance. So I basically already reduced as much as I can.

I'm interested in the $$$ that you spend on those bills. Car bills can range from $100 to $1000! If you have serious bills, I don't think it would be a good idea to leave your job for a part time gig.

I'm not sure about what it's like for you, but in my area teaching jobs are hard to get and have great benefits.

• 136 karma

I'm currently working as a pharmacy technician and studying around 3-3.5 hours a day. Average around 35 hours of work a week. Hours are flexible if you find a pharmacy that has a fair amount of employees already. Pharmacies near college campuses are generally more lenient with their schedules, since students are often employed.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Maybe being a camp counselor, which would likely mean a limited number of weeks and not a huge amount of stress.