Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fool proofing core curriculum

lawhopefullawhopeful Alum Member

Hi! I'm hoping I can get some input on how people have fool proofed the logic games in the core curriculum--this is specifically referring to the ones used as examples and the problem sets (not PTs). I have yet to start drilling PTs so the questions I get come from the game examples and problem sets from the core curriculum. How have you guys scheduled in fool proofing these games? I'm really struggling as I seem to have problems with every game (or going over the designated time) trying to get the rules, diagramming, and inferences.

Comments

• 136 karma

I'd say the same FPing method could apply to the CC sets as the LG 1-35. I'm currently doing a game on days 1,2, 7. And when I say "doing a game," I mean on each day I am attempting the game with a stopwatch until I have scored at/under the recommended time and 100%. This means that each day may consist of attempting a single game 3-4 times, along with reviewing a separate game from a previous day. In the CC you could simply keep track of the game attempted in an excel worksheet or paper!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@lawhopeful said:
    Hi! I'm hoping I can get some input on how people have fool proofed the logic games in the core curriculum--this is specifically referring to the ones used as examples and the problem sets (not PTs).

I wouldn’t start foolproofing till you are done with core curriculum. You are still learning the basics. At this point your task instead of trying to get perfect at games, which is what foolproofing is for, is to just soak in and understand different aspects of the material.

You can get back to foolproofing when you are done with core curriculum.

I have yet to start drilling PTs so the questions I get come from the game examples and problem sets from the core curriculum. How have you guys scheduled in fool proofing these games? I'm really struggling as I seem to have problems with every game (or going over the designated time) trying to get the rules, diagramming, and inferences.

It’s completely fine to have problems in the beginning with games. You are learning a new way of thinking. It will take time. Just be patient and keep at it, it will click.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Whenever you choose to start fool-proofing, I suggest following this method https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

It's the go-to approach for this community.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

@lawhopeful said:
    Hi! I'm hoping I can get some input on how people have fool proofed the logic games in the core curriculum--this is specifically referring to the ones used as examples and the problem sets (not PTs). I have yet to start drilling PTs so the questions I get come from the game examples and problem sets from the core curriculum. How have you guys scheduled in fool proofing these games? I'm really struggling as I seem to have problems with every game (or going over the designated time) trying to get the rules, diagramming, and inferences.

I fool proofed the ones in the CC as I went through the lessons. So, I'd watch a lesson on, say, linear games and then FP the linear games in the CC before moving on.

After I finished the CC, I drilled the games from PT 1-38 or so by type. I think drilling the games by type at first is a very helpful way to get proficient at games. It helps a lot to see the patterns and nuances of each game type.

If you're struggling to do games in their designated times, I think it's best then to focus on diagramming and making inferences. Mastering those skills are crucial and will make you much faster at games. Also before you watch JY's explanations, do your best to always complete the games untimed. You should always be able to finish games untimed. If you can't (which will happen) then you need to immediately address whatever is causing you not to be able to finish.

• Prudenter DiscerePrudenter Discere Alum Member
    234 karma

I foolproofed LG problems sets from CC using the Pacifico method. Everything was timed, take first copy, then watch JY video, then take the second copy. Next day take the third copy, and a week later take the 4th copy. But I already had good understanding of logic games. So it worked out well. If you want to reach mastery, it is worth it foolproofing during the CC whichever method is best for you JY or Pacifico because afterwards, you have RC lessons, then when you are done with CC, you can cycle back to LG by foolproofing LG 1-35. And cycling back content where you have prior knowledge helps you develop mastery.

• lawhopefullawhopeful Alum Member
    28 karma

Thank you all for the responses! It's so helpful to get insight into how other people review their games. I will definitely keep checking back and will post an update on how I end up reviewing in the event that someone else also runs into the same questions on how to review that I've had!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@lawhopeful said:

The examples are from PTs 1-35. So you'll foolproof them either way. You can foolproof them now or just as part of tests 1-35.

Usually people have time problems the first take at least until they have gone through the lions share of the first 35 PTs of games. Just follow the method and redo them until you get them in the recommended time.