Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about accommodations

notsplittsnotsplitts Free Trial Member
in General 267 karma

Hi everyone,

I recently found out that LSAC allows test takers with disabilities to take the LSAT with some accommodations. I have a few questions about qualifying and if it is worth it to apply.

Background:
I was diagnosed at a young age (6-8 years old) with ADHD and dyslexia. I went to a grade school that specialized in teaching children with learning disabilities. I had an IEP in high school, and received extra time as needed on tests throughout college.

Questions:
1) Are learning disabilities such as ADHD and dyslexia the types of disabilities that could warrant accommodations on the LSAT?
2) If I do qualify for accommodations, is it worth it to apply for them? Are there any negatives to requesting and receiving accommodations on the LSAT?
3) I have been studying for the LSAT under conventionally timed conditions, should I continue this practice if I find out I am allowed extra time on the test?

Thanks in advance for any advice

John

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma
    1. Yes
    2. Yes, extra time can be a huge advantage. If you've ever taken a PT, you'll agree with that. Since test takers are no longer flagged, I would say the only disadvantage is having to spend $$$ and time to receive the accommodation.
    3. There's no right or wrong answer. If I was granted extra time, I would take practice tests with that extra time.
  • LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

1.) Yes, these things can give you accommodations on the LSAT

2.) Yes, it is worth it to apply as the accommodations are designed to help people who have problems that the "normal" test take would not have. It will not have a negative impact on your applications.

3.) Yes, practice the LSAT like you have to take it the conventional way. You are not sure you will get accommodations until everything goes through, plus it doesn't hurt to study to be faster, even with accommodations. However, IF you are then awarded accommodations, I would take a few tests under conditions like the accommodations suggests to get use to it.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9382 karma

@john1roger said:
    Hi everyone,

I recently found out that LSAC allows test takers with disabilities to take the LSAT with some accommodations. I have a few questions about qualifying and if it is worth it to apply.

Background:
    I was diagnosed at a young age (6-8 years old) with ADHD and dyslexia. I went to a grade school that specialized in teaching children with learning disabilities. I had an IEP in high school, and received extra time as needed on tests throughout college.

Questions:
    1) Are learning disabilities such as ADHD and dyslexia the types of disabilities that could warrant accommodations on the LSAT?
    2) If I do qualify for accommodations, is it worth it to apply for them? Are there any negatives to requesting and receiving accommodations on the LSAT?
    3) I have been studying for the LSAT under conventionally timed conditions, should I continue this practice if I find out I am allowed extra time on the test?

Thanks in advance for any advice

John

1) Accommodated Test-Taker Trends and Performance for the June 2012 Through February 2017 LSAT Administrations (TR 17-03)
    "During the first 2 study years, the Learning Disorder category was the most common, followed by Visual Impairment, Neurological Impairment, and ADHD. However, the last 3 report years saw ADHD become the most common disability category for approved accommodations, followed by the Learning Disorder category."
    https://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/research-(lsac-resources)/tr-17-03.pdf

2) "LSAC does not annotate the score reports of individuals with disabilities who take the LSAT with testing accommodations, including the testing accommodation of extended time. All accommodated scores are reported in the same manner as nonaccommodated scores."
    https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/accommodated-testing

3) I think if you are granted accommodations, you should practice under the accommodated testing conditions.

Hope this helps!