Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this common? [POLL]

Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
edited February 2018 in General 315 karma

I recently received a call and email from a law professor at a school I applied to (the school I applied to already accepted me). The professor called to encourage me to attend the school and to take his class.

I’m wondering if this is common practice among law professors?

Poll
  1. Is it common for law professors to call and encourage students to attend the school and take class?27 votes
    1. Yes, it is common. It’s a business.
      25.93%
    2. No, that’s out of the ordinary.
      14.81%
    3. I’m just here looking for answers.
      59.26%

Comments

• stephanie-2stephanie-2 Alum Member
    30 karma

If you read into the why a law professor would call you, I think a logical conclusion you could draw is they (admissions committee and faculty) see a worthwhile investment for their program. That would support why it was done on such a personal level. As for the question of it being a common practice? I do think that its not uncommon, especially if you take into consideration the tier level of the school.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Idk if it’s common, but it makes sense if your application struck a chord of interest with that professor and especially if the law school has professors on their admissions committee. If you end up going, it sounds like you’ve got a perfect setup to have a law school advisor without even enrolling yet. Congratulations!!!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I got accepted to 5 schools so far and none of the professors reached out to me in this manner. I also havent heard of this being common either

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe they want you to consider a visit to the school and the prof's class.

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

@"nessa.k13.0" said:
    Idk if it’s common, but it makes sense if your application struck a chord of interest with that professor and especially if the law school has professors on their admissions committee. If you end up going, it sounds like you’ve got a perfect setup to have a law school advisor without even enrolling yet. Congratulations!!!

Thanks for that @"nessa.k13.0"! I did a lot of research to see if it was common and really didn't think it was. I just wanted to know because if it's notcommon, then I could leverage for scholarship money somehow. Anyway, always appreciate your insightful comments!

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    I got accepted to 5 schools so far and none of the professors reached out to me in this manner. I also havent heard of this being common either

Thanks for that @westcoastbestcoast! That confirms my original belief. It may perhaps be uncommon for law professors to reach out to potential students like this.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3652 karma

Did you check off interest in a center field of law or write about a center field in your PS/Why X and does that professor teach a class in that field? One school I was accepted to, a student from a club I mentioned an interest in reached out to me via email. Phone call from a professor sounds like they really want you there.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I've never heard of this happening. Could you share what school did this?

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

This also happened to me. I got the highest tier scholarship at two state schools and they've both had law professors reach out to me by phone and email to ask me if I had any questions. I think @stephanie-2 said it best.