Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does a scholarship offer from a lower ranked school mean better chances at other schools?

smith294smith294 Free Trial Member
edited March 2018 in Law School Admissions 56 karma

I submitted Jan 27th and have started getting back some answers. Stats are UGPA: 3.0 LSAT: 165. I've also been out of school for six years and working for what it's worth.

I received a rejection from NYU a week ago but today I received an acceptance email from GWU with a scholarship offer for $105K. According to the LSAC calculator I should have had a less than 25% chance of even getting in. Do you think that a scholarship offer might indicate that they believe higher ranked schools may accept me as well? I might just be hoping here but I'm curious!

Comments

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 315 karma

Whoa 105K? That's awesome, Congratulations!!

I'm also very curious to know what others think.

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

Unable to provide input on your q but wanted to say congrats :)

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

not sure but congratulations!! way to go :)

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

great offer and congrats!

• cstrobelcstrobel Alum Member
    228 karma

Did you do a Why GWU? If you don't feel like you showed that you were an especially good fit there, and they admitted you with a lot of money (congrats!!! BTW) then I could see a more competitive school, particularly if you show that you're a good fit, giving you good news. Fingers crossed for ya!

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 315 karma

@cstrobel said:
    Did you do a Why GWU? If you don't feel like you showed that you were an especially good fit there, and they admitted you with a lot of money (congrats!!! BTW) then I could see a more competitive school, particularly if you show that you're a good fit, giving you good news. Fingers crossed for ya!

I,too, am curious if OP wrote a "Why GWU".

• AndrewInSFAndrewInSF Alum Member
    44 karma

that's awesome, congrats!!!

• smith294smith294 Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 56 karma

I did not. I kept my personal statement and diversity statement the same for all my schools. My personal statement focused on my evolving learning style from being homeschooled on a farm in Texas through the authoritarian learning environment of the Army.

My diversity statement focused on the challenges of serving in the military under Don't Ask, Don't Tell as a gay man and why it motivates me to pursue equality through the law.

BTW I only applied to reach schools. I decided I wouldn't be interested in attending school if I wasn't able to get into one that might enable me to have national employment options.

@cstrobel said:

• cstrobelcstrobel Alum Member
    228 karma

@smith294 said:
    I did not. I kept my personal statement and diversity statement the same for all my schools. My personal statement focused on my evolving learning style from being homeschooled on a farm in Texas through the authoritarian learning environment of the Army.

My diversity statement focused on the challenges of serving in the military under Don't Ask, Don't Tell as a gay man and why it motivates me to pursue equality through the law.

Sounds really captivating! Sounds like your life experiences would definitely help enrich a diverse student community, I hope all your remaining schools feel the same way!

• MsMazamaMsMazama Alum Member
    154 karma

Hooray! Good job!

• smith294smith294 Free Trial Member
    56 karma

Thanks! I also applied to USC, UCLA, Georgetown, and Columbia. We'll see how it goes!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Yes @ my LGBTQ fam thriving! Congrats!

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

Congrats!

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Congrats!!! Keep us updated. I'm especially interested because our UGPAs are the same.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

I think it's hard to say, but generally, yes…if a school offers a lot of money, you can assume they think higher ranked schools will accept you (with lower money offers)

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I think it's probably an indication that they either really like your softs: army, diversity, WE etc. or they were really impressed by your story/writing in your statements. Either way since you kept those more or less the same I would expect other schools to feel the same! So definitely good news!

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

They love military applicants!