Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Employment history in applications

I heard a rumor that employment history is required to sit for the bar, therefore its required to list on your applications. Does anyone know if this is true? I was told I have to list fast food employment from 20 years ago and if I don't when the BLE looks at tax returns I will be denied for lying about employment. Does anyone have any info on this?

Comments

• cstrobelcstrobel Alum Member
    228 karma

I couldn't imagine that to be true, given that you aren't supposed to have an especially long resume. The paid summer work that you'll have after 1L and 2L should count as employment.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

NTDs can have longer resumes. Plus resumes and apps may be more inclusive than each other.

And parts of this could potentially be true.

You have to follow the instructions on the application. If it says all, it's all employment.

For example, because of special circumstance, one my school confirmed I needed to include work from when I as a kid aka 5-13 (yes, it was W2, taxable income). Others didn't care. As it ended up being included in my PS I just reported it to all schools. I also had my high school/early college on my apps but not on resume for the same reason, since I had that job at 18, like you 20 years ago.

BAR requirements vary from state to state. Some only go back to the last 10 years of employment. Some to age of 21, others to 18 yoa and some all income.

It is true, it could potentially create a character and fitness issue. (Much more likely if you were terminated and didn't disclose when required to). But again, depends. Plus no idea how they verify.

It's better to be safe than sorry, or call individual schools if the application isn't clear.

You can also call your local BAR C&F for clarification and guidance too.