University of Chicago Interview - Advice and Thoughts?

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
in General 3521 karma

Hey all,

I was just invited to do a Skype interview with University of Chicago.

For those of you who have done UChicago's interview:

• How should I prepare? (broadly)
  • Are their questions soft or hardball? (Why law vs. if you could change one thing in the world what would it be...? etc.)
  • Is an interview a good sign or should I not read too into it?

Any other broad advice for Skype interviews or regarding UChicago Admissions more broadly would be helpful.

Best,

Paul

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

I've read that an interview is typically a good sign, but that you should still not read too much into it. Be confident, informed, and personable. I imagine if you prepare like you did for the GT interview, you'll be fine.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I don't really have anything useful to contribute. I got the email today too.

From what I can tell they interview most people who they accept along with some people who they don't.

The old TLS forums seem to suggest that they interview both borderline people and those being considered for scholarships. I can't tell which I am since I have a below median GPA, but a solidly above 75th LSAT score.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

My advice for all interviews is to treat it like an interview for a hefty scholarship. It removes the do or die pressure of earning a spot in the class, but retains the gravity. You want to sell yourself and your passion to attend the school in question (Chicago) but as much as possible, try to stay lighthearted and just treat the interviewer like a friend.

Interviewers don't remember what you say, they remember how they felt. So make them feel a connection, amity, and above all, be human. Reciting facts about the school can't compare to genuine willingness to diverge into topics you care about. JUST BE A PERSON!

They know you're smart, so don't oversell your intelligence, oversell personality.

Disclaimer: if none of this makes sense...im pretty drunk.

Anit-disclaimer: i still thinknits pretty decent advice

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" Have you scheduled your interview already? If so, for what date?

@tylerdschreur10 said:

They know you're smart, so don't oversell your intelligence, oversell personality.

YOU ARE THRIVING :smile:

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Be friendly and cordial. Prepare some remarks. Turn off or silence your phone. Ask them about their professional journeys. Practice a poised handshake. Maybe watch a law movie before. Maybe ask if they'll let you observe a class.

edited March 2018 4423 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" Have you scheduled your interview already? If so, for what date?

@tylerdschreur10 said:

YOU ARE THRIVING :smile

I just messaged you with my interview date.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Be friendly and cordial. Prepare some remarks. Turn off or silence your phone. Ask them about their professional journeys. Practice a poised handshake. Maybe watch a law movie before. Maybe ask if they'll let you observe a class.

How do you practice a poised handshake for a Skype interview? :smile:

edited March 2018 4423 karma

@lsatplaylist said:

Tragically its a Skype interview so the hours of handshake practice(except for our computers' TLS handshakes) are out the window. Class observation probably is too, but @"Paul Caint" or I could definitely ask about visiting. The rest of your advice seems to transcend format.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I did the interview a couple weeks ago. I thought it was friendly and relaxed. They asked all the usual questions. Don't stress about it. Just be prepared to talk about your interest in law, Chicago specifically, your resume, and your time at school. Pretty standard.

You got this!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Missed fact that it was Skype.:)

3521 karma

@AllezAllez21 Not to be nosy but did you hear back yet?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@uhinberg said:

@lsatplaylist said:

How do you practice a poised handshake for a Skype interview? :smile:

It's an art form. It involves mostly high fiving your laptop camera.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@tylerdschreur10 said:

Nicely done. I imagine pulling off intelligent advice while several drinks in will serve you well in law school. Kudos.

1917 karma

@"Paul Caint" Nope. Chicago tends to do fewer, bigger waves. So they interview a bunch of people over like 3-4 weeks and then admit them all at once a few weeks after that. I suspect I'll hear in another 1-3 weeks with the next wave.

3521 karma

@AllezAllez21 I was hoping for a quick turnaround :tired_face:

1917 karma

@"Paul Caint" In fact the status checker for my interview wave just changed today. That usually means a decision within the next 3-5 days.

So overall, I'd say about a month from the time you get the interview invite (not actually interview) to a decision. But, I think things accelerate somewhat near the end of the cycle as schools rush to get decisions before deposit deadlines.