Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much time do I need before my 2nd LSAT?

anna1234anna1234 Alum Member
in General 21 karma

Hey all - just took the Feb '18 test and got my score, it was my first time. Congrats to everyone else to completed it as well! I'm going to take it again, but I'm not sure when - wondering if I could get some input here.

I took an online Manhattan Prep course (Sundays) from Oct 15 to Jan 7, and I don't think it was rigorous enough. I want to take a 7sage course before my next test - but I can't do more than ~20 hours a week because I work full time at a start up. Deciding between the Premium & Ultimate courses - would love people to weigh in.

I am looking at either the July 23 or Sept 8 test dates this year for my retake. Is July too soon to increase by ~9 points and complete a 7sage course?

Thanks in advance all! This site rocks.

Comments

• cstrobelcstrobel Alum Member
    228 karma

Thank you for posting this! I'm in the same predicament

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

This is something we can only answer with "It depends" and anecdotal evidence.

That being said, I'd have to ask....why rush to take the June test? With LSAC offering more test this year, even if you take the Sept test, you'll still have a chance at a retake after. I will always tell people to take more time because time is the one thing that consistently helps people improve on the test.

For an anecdotal story -

First test was 157 in Sept 2016

Second test was 163 in Sept 2017

Third test was 171 in Dec 2017

Take from that what you want - all I see is a year and a half to improve to the score I wanted haha.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

These decisions depend on where you are starting from too.

For me the path was
    172 February 2017 (without finishing the games section)

180 September 2017

Between the tests, I mainly studied over the summer from May to September using both the 7 sage core curriculum available from the starter course, the free logic games explanations, and by blind reviewing practice tests.

If getting from where you are to a -0 in logic games would get you your 9 points then I would say the starter course and intensive studying using the foolproofing method for logic games could get you there by July.

However, improvement on the other sections takes longer on average. You might get some quick gains out of the core curriculum, but after that it is usually a long steady slog with small gains followed by plateaus followed by more small gains. Since the starter course only lasts 3 months, you'll probably want one of the longer courses with more access to more explanations if you need improvement beyond the games section.

I would lean toward advising most people to study at least from now until September, to study until logic games are regularly -1 or -0, and to study until they have reached a plateau in their score which they haven't been able to break despite their best effort with the best strategies and resources for at least a month of studying and practice testing with blind review.

I would advise this because most people prepare for too little time rather than too much, because almost everyone can perfect logic games, and because every point on the LSAT is worth too much in terms of both acceptance chances and likely scholarships to stop studying while you are still improving.

• anna1234anna1234 Alum Member
    21 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

For me the path was

180 September 2017

Between the tests, I mainly studied over the summer from May to September using both the 7 sage core curriculum available from the starter course, the free logic games explanations, and by blind reviewing practice tests.

If getting from where you are to a -0 in logic games would get you your 9 points then I would say the starter course and intensive studying using the foolproofing method for logic games could get you there by July.

However, improvement on the other sections takes longer on average. You might get some quick gains out of the core curriculum, but after that it is usually a long steady slog with small gains followed by plateaus followed by more small gains. Since the starter course only lasts 3 months, you'll probably want one of the longer courses with more access to more explanations if you need improvement beyond the games section.

I would lean toward advising most people to study at least from now until September, to study until logic games are regularly -1 or -0, and to study until they have reached a plateau in their score which they haven't been able to break despite their best effort with the best strategies and resources for at least a month of studying and practice testing with blind review.

I would advise this because most people prepare for too little time rather than too much, because almost everyone can perfect logic games, and because every point on the LSAT is worth too much in terms of both acceptance chances and likely scholarships to stop studying while you are still improving.

Thank you! Makes sense- LG sections are usually solid for me, but on the Feb test I had to guess on about ~6 questions because I ran out of time. I got a 161 on the Feb test, and I was getting around 163 on my PTs. I'd like to get a 170... so I think sept test is my best bet. I'm just wondering if the starter 7sage course is sufficient, or if I should bump it up to Premium.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@annaj123 said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

For me the path was

180 September 2017

Thank you! Makes sense- LG sections are usually solid for me, but on the Feb test I had to guess on about ~6 questions because I ran out of time. I got a 161 on the Feb test, and I was getting around 163 on my PTs. I'd like to get a 170... so I think sept test is my best bet. I'm just wondering if the starter 7sage course is sufficient, or if I should bump it up to Premium.

I'm pretty sure the Starter course only lasts 3 months. That would give out a ways before July let alone September. So I'd probably recommend the Premium. I think it's supposed to come with more problem sets and access to more tests explanations too.

21 karma

Thank you!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hi there! I replied I think in the February takers thread too, but I really think you should sign up for the highest course you can afford. There really are so many more materials available that are sooo helpful. Also, the 160s are a tricky range. It's a place that many people plateau. Moving from even 167/168 into 170+ territory is a much bigger jump than 3 points implies. That's part of the reason that I think you'd benefit from having more materials available. I also think that the September test is probably your better goal, but the real answer is that you should sit for the LSAT when you are ready. Meaning, that you are regularly PTing a few points above where you want to score. So if you can average 172/173 on PTs, you're ready. Granted, that is a very difficult achievement haha. But I think if you are able to buckle down and commit to serious studying starting soon, you could possibly hit your goal by September. But you will also want to give yourself the best chance possible to do it by having a lot of study tools at your disposal.

21 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Hi there! I replied I think in the February takers thread too, but I really think you should sign up for the highest course you can afford. There really are so many more materials available that are sooo helpful. Also, the 160s are a tricky range. It's a place that many people plateau. Moving from even 167/168 into 170+ territory is a much bigger jump than 3 points implies. That's part of the reason that I think you'd benefit from having more materials available. I also think that the September test is probably your better goal, but the real answer is that you should sit for the LSAT when you are ready. Meaning, that you are regularly PTing a few points above where you want to score. So if you can average 172/173 on PTs, you're ready. Granted, that is a very difficult achievement haha. But I think if you are able to buckle down and commit to serious studying starting soon, you could possibly hit your goal by September. But you will also want to give yourself the best chance possible to do it by having a lot of study tools at your disposal.

Agreed- great points! Thank you!