Multiple waitlists - how to handle it

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
in General 13286 karma

Hey all, so I'm finally starting to hear back from schools which is awesome. The not so awesome part is so far they have ALL been waitlists. I'm sort of unsure how to handle this position haha...

I know all about LOCI's and stuff like that, but waitlists keep me in purgatory, some even warn that I might be stuck on them until August. So I'm starting to worry about what this means for my planning/decision making.

I'm also worried about sending LOCI's to the schools, getting taken off the waitlist, and then having another school take me off their waitlist that I'd rather attend, then what do I do? Am I bound to attend the schools if they remove me from the WL? Even if I'm not, I don't want to take the spot for another potential admit.

The jury is still out on most of my schools, but with 3 WL's and counting I'm beginning to see new dilemmas arise. Any advice on how to handle multiple waitlists?

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'm certain you are not bound to go if they let you in off the waitlist. It is just like any other acceptance, but later. There probably will be a deadline that they give you to say yes or to turn it down by.

One problem is that you won't automatically get all your decisions at the same time. You can get around this to a degree by emailing the schools you are still waitlisted at before accepting an offer when you get off the waitlist at one school. You'll tell "school that hasn't accepted you yet" they are still your favorite school, but that you have been accepted into "school that accepts you first" which you would like to attend if you don't get into "school that hasn't accepted you yet" and that you have a deadline to decide of "whatever your deadline is".

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I'm certain you are not bound to go if they let you in off the waitlist. It is just like any other acceptance, but later. There probably will be a deadline that they give you to say yes or to turn it down by.

One problem is that you won't automatically get all your decisions at the same time. You can get around this to a degree by emailing the schools you are still waitlisted at before accepting an offer when you get off the waitlist at one school. You'll tell "school that hasn't accepted you yet" they are still your favorite school, but that you have been accepted into "school that accepts you first" which you would like to attend if you don't get into "school that hasn't accepted you yet" and that you have a deadline to decide of "whatever your deadline is".

So basically it's like the scholarship game - except with where I'm going to school for the next three years. How is anyone with a full-time job suppose to plan for law schools if I don't know where I'm going until the day before I go!? hahaha

Thanks for the response, this sounds....well....

http://media.giphy.com/media/hMULrD3Ljyh9e/giphy.gif

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Bide your time. Don't hesitate to ask for more information if there are any outstanding questions. Watch the websites for updates on campus events open to the public or prospective students. LOCIs are of course really good. I wonder about one more new LOR. How many schools waitlisted you?

13286 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Bide your time. Don't hesitate to ask for more information if there are any outstanding questions. Watch the websites for updates on campus events open to the public or prospective students. LOCIs are of course really good. I wonder about one more new LOR. How many schools waitlisted you?

Three so far lol I'm sure more are coming....

U.Mich
    Notre Dame
    UCLA

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

Hey congrats on waitlists! They don't love you, but they don't hate you! That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. I'm hoping there will be movement in April/May. I had to ask my landlord to extend my lease for a few months because I have no idea where I'll be living, either. It's definitely a pain, and I feel you on the planning struggle! Hang in there. I hope you hear good things soon

4423 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

So basically it's like the scholarship game - except with where I'm going to school for the next three years. How is anyone with a full-time job suppose to plan for law schools if I don't know where I'm going until the day before I go!? hahaha

Thanks for the response, this sounds....well....

http://media.giphy.com/media/hMULrD3Ljyh9e/giphy.gif

Well hopefully it happens in May or June rather than August. But, I still think finding housing could be tough.

Also don't rule out the possibility you are still in the scholarship game at those schools. They will be desperate to fill their class when they are accepting people off their waitlist(especially if it is August). You can use that to negotiate a little.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Take the school at the top of your list and write a killer LOCI. If I get waitlisted everywhere, I’m going to send LOCIs to my top 3. Are there ways you could market yourself as a more attractive candidate without changing the theme of your application? Have you been promoted at work, have any new accomplishments, or started any new community service activities since you’ve applied? Check out the profiles of classes, visit, and reach out to people at your top law school—if you haven’t already. Try to specific areas of that school that you identify with. Include that stuff in your LOCI.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

I bet some old ThinkingLSATs also address this. Also, @"nessa.k13.0" wrote some great ideas.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah I think @"Seeking Perfection"'s approach makes a lot of sense once you get off a waitlist. Obviously, LOCIs and might want to plan visits if you can swing it. Anything to set yourself apart as particularly interested. I think the waitlist game is tough, because it is so unpredictable. But no, you're not committed once you are accepted off waitlists. You're not even committed after you place a deposit. (You lose the money, but people sometimes deposit at multiple schools to save their seat until all their schools have responded.) I'm not actually sure when it's a full commitment. When you register for classes? lol Most of the times, you can change any decision unless something specifically says it is binding.

Keep your eyes on the horizon, you got this! And those are some awesome schools to be waitlisted at, many are rejected. You're still in the game! And people get money off the waitlist all the time too, so you're not ruled out in that sense either. Eyes on the prize!

4423 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Yeah I think @"Seeking Perfection"'s approach makes a lot of sense once you get off a waitlist. Obviously, LOCIs and might want to plan visits if you can swing it. Anything to set yourself apart as particularly interested. I think the waitlist game is tough, because it is so unpredictable. But no, you're not committed once you are accepted off waitlists. You're not even committed after you place a deposit. (You lose the money, but people sometimes deposit at multiple schools to save their seat until all their schools have responded.) I'm not actually sure when it's a full commitment. When you register for classes? lol Most of the times, you can change any decision unless something specifically says it is binding.

Keep your eyes on the horizon, you got this! And those are some awesome schools to be waitlisted at, many are rejected. You're still in the game! And people get money off the waitlist all the time too, so you're not ruled out in that sense either. Eyes on the prize!

Schools have different rules for seat deposits, but I think this is usually right.
    I think there is usually a second deposit usually near the end of June which is pretty close to absolutely binding.
    Additionally, after May 15 schools start getting a list of people who are double deposited and might be a little upset.

• 13 karma

Does anyone have an opinion on sending another LOR? I got "priority waitlisted," at my top school, but also got into my second school. I sent similar information about needing to place a deposit at X school that has admitted me before knowing anything from Y school, even though Y school is my number one. I feel you pain as well about working full time. Extending leases, fiance job searching wherever I commit to go, saving money for a move, it's a PAIN and so stressful.

I have sent a pretty lengthy email LOCI to my waitlisted school, but they've also suggested that I send in more information about new awards or a change in employment. I work at a tech company and have been very up front that I plan on attending school this fall. My employment is advocating for me to shadow our legal team because of it's alignment with my future goals. I know this isn't a promotion technically, but should I have someone write me a LOR stating I've been given this opportunity?

I'm not really sure what to do and I know I'm better suited for my waitlisted school, and it would be easier for my finance to job search in this school's location (adulting is hard). If anyone has any recommendations on what I should do, please let me know!

• nvakhshourynvakhshoury Free Trial Member
    35 karma

My biggest advice: there is still so much hope! You are so close and now is the time to fight just a little bit harder. Email/call/ or text anyone who has connections, went to the law school you WL at or anyone who knows someone who has any of those connections. I was at a law school admissions conference, and the speaker told us about someone he mentored who got WL at UPenn. His mentor was working at a huge law firm at the time, and the student asked him if he knew anyone who went to U Penn and worked at his firm. He remembered that there was someone who had U Penn flag at their cubicle and it turns out that they had close ties to the Dean at the law school. He got his coworker to personally recommend this student and he was taken off the WL at U Penn.

Just keep reaching out, you got this.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

hey man. do you have any acceptances??? something to keep your hope alive?

13286 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

Nope lol 3 waitlists, 2 rejections and no response from like 8 lol

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

Nope lol 3 waitlists, 2 rejections and no response from like 8 lol

May the force with you.. with your 171 im sure you will get in!!!