Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making a strong application?

Christina-5Christina-5 Alum Member

What are things that can make my application stronger.

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

Personal statement
    Diversity statement
    Addenda (depends on where you apply and what your interests are)
    Structure of your resume
    LORs
    Softs (e.g. multiple majors/minors, rigor of major/course selection, Phi Beta Kappa, graduation honors, work experience)

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 315 karma

I highly recommend getting 7Sager David Busis' help on this! He knows how to make someone stand out and shine for law schools. I'm using his services at the moment and will write a full review soon. I believe he's reachable via email. I would say to reach out to him and the crew for some advice. They are really good and can really make you shine for law schools.

For the time being, again, I recommend emailing David and crew!

• Christina-5Christina-5 Alum Member
    150 karma

@BillLsat do you know where i can find his email? or do you have it?

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

@"Christina-5" said:
    @BillLsat do you know where i can find his email? or do you have it?

Hey @Christina-5 his email is “Editors@7Sage.com”.

• nicholasthomas127nicholasthomas127 Alum Member
    458 karma

A meaningful "Why X" statement. Something more than writing about interesting stuff that's on the website. A compelling reason for being accepted and attending.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@nicholasthomas127 said:
    A meaningful "Why X" statement. Something more than writing about interesting stuff that's on the website. A compelling reason for being accepted and attending.

I think this is essential. I have pretty strong numerical credentials.

I may be accepted to more schools, but so far I have been accepted at the two schools where I made a personal connection in my optional statements both of which are known for yield protection. I have not recieved responces from the school's known for yield protection where I sent more traditional Why X letters based on research of their websites.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

A compelling Why X statement also signals to the school that you aren't just spamming the same personal statement to all the schools in your list.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@nicholasthomas127 said:

I think this is essential. I have pretty strong numerical credentials.

I may be accepted to more schools, but so far I have been accepted at the two schools where I made a personal connection in my optional statements both of which are known for yield protection. I have not recieved responces from the school's known for yield protection where I sent more traditional Why X letters based on research of their websites.

Which ones? It's okay to say. :P

• Raphael RiveraRaphael Rivera Alum Member
    176 karma

I got in to schools that I shouldn't have been accepted to by doing a few things.

1.) Writing a unique personal statement, and reviewing it hundreds of times. It took 3 months for me to write my essays. I had a trusted professional review my personal statement and I re-wrote it until nobody could pinpoint a grammatical/spelling mistake. I re-wrote sentences multiple times in different styles and structure just to make sure that it flowed perfectly, I obsessed. My obsession led to miracles happening, with offers of admission referencing my personal statement. I can not stress this enough: Put your entire being into your essay, get everybody/anybody to read it, no matter how personal the information in it is.

2.) I got the idea from UCLA and added this essay to every school: Programmatic Contribution essay. This mainly applies to people with experience but it doesn't have to. This is a combination of "Why school X," "Diversity Statement, "Why you should accept me."

EXAMPLE: I want to work with immigrants/refugees. I wrote about the specific program I would like to enter (If there is a specific program, emphasis, or class) and how I would make a meaningful contribution to the program. I described my work experience, academic knowledge, extracurricular study (books on the topic), and any other aspect that shows that I have knowledge or a history of action in learning about the field I want to enter. I mentioned that I can bring an experienced mind to class discussions, offer advice, or ask real-world questions with actual problems I have encountered. Schools want diversity and "Poppin'" class discussions. Showing that you are experienced or willing to provide that energy went a long way with me.

3.) Be passionate about yourself and your ability to succeed if given the opportunity.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Have other people read your essays and be really receptive to their thoughts and feedback.