Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Barbri, Larry Law, or LEEWS? [POLL]

Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member

Hey guys, I'll be starting law school this fall and would like to enroll in a law school prep course. The three I've heard of are in the title. Does anyone have experience with any of these prep courses? If not, does anyone recommend a different prep course? I'm rather new to the law prep course business so any help is appreciated. I've also come across a handful of people on 7Sage using one or two of these courses so please enlighten us with details!

I've also attached an optional poll below.

The best law school prep to invest in?
  1. Optional13 votes
    1. Barbri
      15.38%
    2. Larry Law
      61.54%
    3. LEEWS
      23.08%

Comments

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

...And let the gunning begin!!!?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Maybe all threee

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I don't have experience with any of those courses. Like you, I'd like to be prepared heading into 1L. I've heard that those courses are a waste of money. I'm still tempted to buy one myself.

My suggestion is to take advantage of any libraries you have access to. I checked out a ton of books to get ready for 1L. The books that I enjoyed, I purchased used.

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 315 karma

@10000019 said:
    I don't have experience with any of those courses. Like you, I'd like to be prepared heading into 1L. I've heard that those courses are a waste of money. I'm still tempted to buy one myself.

My suggestion is to take advantage of any libraries you have access to. I checked out a ton of books to get ready for 1L. The books that I enjoyed, I purchased used.

Hey @10000019 I've also heard from some that law prep courses are a waste of money. I don't buy it, however (no pun intended).

I definitely want to head in at least somewhat prepared. I believe certain law prep courses can help you; even a slight is worth the money.

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

I've subscribed to Larry law's email newsletters. He sends videos to you from his Youtube channel as an opening introduction to him and his course for free.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'm not inclined to take a formal class. I'd rather use the money on supplements and hornbooks and try to get ahead so I can practice taking exams either in the summer or earlier in the semester.

That said with the cost of law school as high as it is (even if we can get some sort of scholarship to reduce that cost) I think we are obligated to do some gunning.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    so I can practice taking exams either in the summer or earlier in the semester.

Have any reputable sources recommended that? I would do something similar for undergrad. But I've heard from a handful of people not to do that for 1L.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I'm not inclined to take a formal class. I'd rather use the money on supplements and hornbooks and try to get ahead so I can practice taking exams either in the summer or earlier in the semester.

That said with the cost of law school as high as it is (even if we can get some sort of scholarship to reduce that cost) I think we are obligated to do some gunning.

People say that studying hornbooks and supplements may be futile because the way thse books present the law may not be how the professor teaches the law.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@10000019
    @westcoastbestcoast

From what I've read online, it does seem like the risk is that you may learn a lot of material that is unnecessary or not taught from the exact same perspective used by the prof. From that perspective it would sort of be wasted effort. This makes whether what you learn about the law is valuable a sort of hit or miss kind of a thing. Some people who have done very well in 1L hit and swear by it on old TLS how to guides. Others miss. So I have heard both ways on whether substantive prep is good in this way.

I think the major advantage would be not that you get a head start on learning the right material, but that you would know enough about one class to actually begin taking practice exams and comparing them to answers. This could be done with your school's exam bank or other exams. However, either way you learn to take a law school exam by knowing the material and then taking practice tests in combination with books like Getting to Maybe and LEEWS.

Then over the course of your first semester you have to redo all the readings and supplements, do a new outline, and relearn the law the way your prof likes it just like for your other classes. But, what you already know is how to take a law school exam.

The University of Michigan used to offer a summer start where you would take one or two classes before fall. This would be like that as far as gaining experience for the fall exams. You teach yourself the class material, you practice test on it, and you learn how to get better on the exam. But instead of the exam being graded, you then have a whole semester to get ready for the real deal.