LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
edited April 2018 in General 1028 karma

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

It’s not one of my top schools, but I know it is a great school and I have a very generous scholarship offer there, so I’m keeping it in the running. I’m thinking I’ll go to ASW to get a better feel for it. Also a good chance I might need to push back until next cycle, so I think visiting in person will be really informative in case of that too.

Really the biggest thing that holds me back is it’s location. I want to end up ideally either in Chicago or anywhere west coast. I know that WUSTL does for sure place people there, I just don’t really know how much extra effort it takes to end up in a different city from where the school is. But I’m thinking I could ask a lot of questions at ASW to get a better picture of what that would look like. Where do you want to end up ultimately? Is that a concern for you as well?

• nicholasthomas127nicholasthomas127 Alum Member
    458 karma

I'll be attending ASW. Loved everything about it during my visit.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    @"Leah M B" Yes, I think an in person visit in your case will be key, especially since you are wanting Chi or West Coast. I'm shooting for mid-sized Midwestern cities (KC/Twin Cities/Des Moines), so that's not as much an issue for me. Sorry I can't say more about the employment prospects in your target markets.

I'm also thinking about delaying a cycle for ED at Northwestern to save big. Good luck!

WUSTL is a beautiful campus from what I see. And when I was applying to colleges, I also heard WUSTLs dining options were top notch as well.

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    edited March 2018 555 karma

WashU does indeed have stellar food, buildings and people. The kindness and uncompetitive environment is refreshing. Also STL is a great city with great food. Living in the Central West End is affordable and nice.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@beezmoof I sent you a PM.

If anyone actually accepts and attends WUSTL, please hit me up. I plan on applying there in the fall (assuming I can get my LSAT up) and would love to hear your impressions of the school after a semester or two of class. I live in St Louis.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I visited Wustl before undergrad, BEAUTIFUL campus, close to a massive city park, o forget the name, it was 7 years ago... I second the opinions about food quality. Both the cafeteria and the restaurant options were impressive!

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

I visited WashU a couple of weeks ago... I can second the opinions about the beautiful campus. The law school is also located right next to the parking garage which is convenient. It seems that St. Louis is split into a downtown area and a western suburbanish area. WashU is located in the western part.

614 karma

I'm back for a double-post but something strange happened....

I got an interview request from WashU. The strange part is that I haven't actually paid the LSAC to send my app to them yet... I was polishing up an addendum to attach to before checking out and sending it off.

I visited to see if I would like the area and school before sending an application as I'm currently in Michigan. My significant other and I decided to make the drive and spend the weekend in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago but I did not meet with anyone from admissions. It was purely out of my own curiosity.

Does anyone have an idea how or why this is happening? Don't get me wrong, I am very excited as WashU is among my top choices. I'm just trying to understand it all....

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"mickey.caleb" said:

I got an interview request from WashU. The strange part is that I haven't actually paid the LSAC to send my app to them yet... I was polishing up an addendum to attach to before checking out and sending it off.

I visited to see if I would like the area and school before sending an application as I'm currently in Michigan. My significant other and I decided to make the drive and spend the weekend in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago but I did not meet with anyone from admissions. It was purely out of my own curiosity.

Does anyone have an idea how or why this is happening? Don't get me wrong, I am very excited as WashU is among my top choices. I'm just trying to understand it all....

A few people posted about this happening earlier in the cycle. You probably have good stats and they want you to apply and go to their school. I’m pretty sure schools have access to your LSAT/gpa stats regardless of if you’ve applied.

8392 karma

Yeah its like a recruiting gimmick - sort of like a stepped up version of getting a fee waiver. I got the same and is part of the reason I applied. It works! Haha. Also the interview was super low key and nice. Just a friendly convo about your goals, any questions you have about the school, etc. very laid back and helpful, I thought.

614 karma

@"surfy surf" I'm a bit of a splitter and I don't think my stats are good enough that anyone should be chasing me haha

@"Leah M B" Thanks for the info. I guess that makes sense. Glad to hear it can just be a time where I can ask them a list of questions I'll compile between now and the interview.

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    Also: I, too, am excited to see that WUSTL is nearer to Clayton/University City, which is quite separate from STL. I was very apprehensive over living in STL since the crime rates are off the hook (and this coming from a native of a city with a top 10 crime rate in the US), but the area around WUSTL seems nice enough.

As someone who grew up in St. Louis, you have to be very careful when reading city wide crime statistics. East St. Louis often gets roped into the reports when it probably shouldn't (it's across the river in Illinois). On top of that, Clayton/University City is probably the richest/safest area in the county. So I really don't think anyone should reject WashU out of fear of crime.

• haaaaaalphaaaaaalp Free Trial Member
    5 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    It’s not one of my top schools, but I know it is a great school and I have a very generous scholarship offer there, so I’m keeping it in the running. I’m thinking I’ll go to ASW to get a better feel for it. Also a good chance I might need to push back until next cycle, so I think visiting in person will be really informative in case of that too.

Really the biggest thing that holds me back is it’s location. I want to end up ideally either in Chicago or anywhere west coast. I know that WUSTL does for sure place people there, I just don’t really know how much extra effort it takes to end up in a different city from where the school is. But I’m thinking I could ask a lot of questions at ASW to get a better picture of what that would look like. Where do you want to end up ultimately? Is that a concern for you as well?

That worries me too. WUSTL is both the best school I've gotten into (so far, haven't heard from a few yet) with my most generous scholarship so far. As much as I'd love to keep debt down for the future, and I know they have generally decent placement in New York, I'm concerned about the inability to network during the academic year.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"mickey.caleb" said:

The same thing happened to me at the start of the cycle. I set up the interview. When I called to ask if they wanted any info on me before the interview they said I could just submit the application. I finished my essays and submitted it. The interview went well, but I hadn't had a chance to get letters of rec before I applied since they asked me to interview so I asked them to hold my app while they waited. When they eventually reviewed it after I got my letters of rec in, they offered me a full tuition scholarship.

You can choose a skype interview or an in person interview. I choose the in-person interview. The interview was a normal interview not an informal question asking. However, they also arranged for me to talk with the Dean for a few minutes outside the interview and talk to someone from the career planning office. Both of these conversations were less formal.

As a generalization, I think they use this as a strategy to attract applications from people they think might mainly apply to higher ranked schools.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Love this post so far. Question about WUSTL though. Where do most of the graduates land jobs? Midwest? NY? CA? It seems spread out from what I can tell. I'm not super familiar with WUSTL but it seems like a very intriguing option.

1723 karma

@LastLSAT Thank you for the great response! You answered a lot there for me. I do have Midwestern roots (grew up half my life in Cincinnati) so I definitely was curious about WUSTL's reach in the region along with its national reach. I appreciate the help!

1723 karma

@LastLSAT Definitely agree on the ties issue. I'm living in TX now (I graduated from A&M and have strong family ties) but I'm heavily considering going back to Cincy which like you said is heavily insular. Haven't seen a ton of WUSTL recruiting in Cincy but I figured there may be some.

8392 karma

ASW roll call! Who is going out for the upcoming ASW? Should we have a 7sage meetup? I'm working on flights now and considering going to the Cards game on Saturday, anyone else interested?

8392 karma

@LastLSAT Awesome! It’s not a front runner for me at the moment, but I’m very open to it and really excited about ASW to see how I feel about it in person. And yes, already reached out! Have to fill out a form there and then email receipts afterward but they’ll reimburse a portion. Got my flights booked, it’s getting real!

614 karma

I'll be there as well! I visited myself once on a weekend without meeting anyone from the school but I'm glad to go during ASW to get a better feel for it all.

• nicholasthomas127nicholasthomas127 Alum Member
    458 karma

I'll be there too! A 7 Sage meet up would be cool!