Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think law schools read the writing sample?

JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member

Exactly what the title says

Writing Sample
  1. Do you think law schools read the writing sample?65 votes
    1. Yes
      43.08%
    2. No
      26.15%
    3. I have no idea
      30.77%

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Yep.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I've heard this before - it might have been from my adviser, not sure.

"Law schools think of your writing sample as an example of the worse possible writing you preform."

Lol, idk how true that is, but it stuck with me so I put some effort into that part of the test!

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 2124 karma

Yes, but they don't give it a lot of weight.

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

Yes.

It's a great way to see how you REALLY write. Of course they know it's rushed and not everyone's best but it could raise some eyebrows if you have some Pulitzer prize winning writing in your personal statement but you couldn't communicate basic ideas in your LSAT writing sample.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 2573 karma

I’m gonna be the odd ball, nope!

Maybe it depends on the school???

Or, maybe if someone is waitlisted or trying to negotiate scholarships or something.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Yes they definitely do. I believe they read it to see if you took the sample seriously and not wrote some troll response.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

Yes, I think they do.

At the same time, I knew a girl who got into Harvard, and she drew a hand turkey on her writing sample.

https://thenib.com/beyond-the-hand-turkey-5c6fc85b5199

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@hawaiihi said:
    Yes, I think they do.

At the same time, I knew a girl who got into Harvard, and she drew a hand turkey on her writing sample.

https://thenib.com/beyond-the-hand-turkey-5c6fc85b5199

LOL

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Admission deans from Stanford, Duke, and Cornell like to mention an applicant who, despite having an otherwise perfect application, decided to draw a picture on his or her writing response sheet; rejected without further consideration. I have no reason to think that other schools don't read writing samples.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I doubt they pay close attention, but I bet they at least scan it if not fully read it.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Not sure, but I'd plan on them looking at it. Another possibility is the bar may want to see it.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I doubt they read much into it, but they probably eyeball it a bit.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I have no idea whether they do or not, I just look at the exercise as a risk mitigation event. Why would I spend months / years studying for the LSAT and working on different inputs (resume/PS/additional essays) to my application that will be the basis for an individual / group of people who don't know me to decide whether or not to accept me only to draw a picture or not at least attempt to do well at another input that could be looked at? There is absolutely no upside to not at least trying to put forth a good effort. You aren't "getting over" on anyone by drawing a picture of a turkey... you aren't sticking it to the man, you are just potentially lessening your own chances at success.

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I have no idea whether they do or not, I just look at the exercise as a risk mitigation event. Why would I spend months / years studying for the LSAT and working on different inputs (resume/PS/additional essays) to my application that will be the basis for an individual / group of people who don't know me to decide whether or not to accept me only to draw a picture or not at least attempt to do well at another input that could be looked at? There is absolutely no upside to not at least trying to put forth a good effort. You aren't "getting over" on anyone by drawing a picture of a turkey... you aren't sticking it to the man, you are just potentially lessening your own chances at success.

Ding dong dang! Couldn't agree more.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:

Agreed. Despite knowing the hand-turkey girl, I'd never try that myself.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

You know the hand-turkey girl?!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@FixedDice said:
    Admission deans from Stanford, Duke, and Cornell like to mention an applicant who, despite having an otherwise perfect application, decided to draw a picture on his or her writing response sheet; rejected without further consideration. I have no reason to think that other schools don't read writing samples.

Absolutely correct here. I went to the LSAC Law School Convention/Tour and attended an admissions panel where they all mentioned not to horse around on the writing sample. They talked about some dumb things people wrote on it and how that was the reason they were rejected from the school (believe one of them was Vandy).

It is what its called....a writing sample. Gives them an idea of what your writing looks like and that is it. They absolutely read it! So don't do stupid!

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

@hawaiihi so disappointed she didn't do foot turkey.