Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Tuition Scholarship

jowens7317jowens7317 Alum Member
in General 244 karma

I have just receieved a full tuition offer from a law school ranked outside of the top 100 nationally however this school is well regarded in its region and is relatively close to where I live. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Outside of T13 and arguably T20, rankings dont matter as much as regional power and employment. Do you mind if you worked in that region as a lawyer? What are the employment stats like? What are your aspirations as a lawyer? Congrats on the offer!!

• jowens7317jowens7317 Alum Member
    244 karma

Thank you :) No I wouldn't mind working in the region. It says 70% are employed 10 months after graduation with 58% of those working in law firms, 21% in business, 10% in government, and 8% in judicial clerkships.

244 karma
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Hey @jowens7317 . The stats dont seem too shabby. As long as they are line with you career goals, I would take this offer and run with it. Were there any conditions to the scholarship?

244 karma

@westcoastbestcoast That's what I'm leaning towards and as far as I know the only string attached is a minimum GPA requirement. I haven't receieved the actual contract in the mail yet though so I'm not 100% sure - I've just got an email.

• @jowens7317 said:
    @westcoastbestcoast That's what I'm leaning towards and as far as I know the only string attached is a minimum GPA requirement. I haven't receieved the actual contract in the mail yet though so I'm not 100% sure - I've just got an email.

Snag it!

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I'd be very sure about the GPA condition and your anticipated ability to maintain it prior to signing on the dotted line. I'd research other people's experiences / stories as it applies to conditional scholarships and the reality of the law school curve.

• toniafisher1toniafisher1 Member
    87 karma

What was your lsat score?

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

If there is a minimum GPA contingent, be wary!
    What percentage of the class maintains that GPA or above it?

I highly recommend giving this article a read:
    https://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/are-law-school-merit-scholarships-a-big-racket/

Hope this helps!

244 karma
    244 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp Thank you that does help :) I can't seem to find anything on their website about class GPA's or scholarship retention. Hopefully that info will be in the acceptance packet or contract.

244 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I'd be very sure about the GPA condition and your anticipated ability to maintain it prior to signing on the dotted line. I'd research other people's experiences / stories as it applies to conditional scholarships and the reality of the law school curve.

I just found information on their website. Their median GPA is 3.0 and the minimum you can have to retain any scholarship is a 2.5. About 1 in 6 lose their scholarships each year.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@jowens7317 said:

@LSAT_Wrecker said:

I just found information on their website. Their median GPA is 3.0 and the minimum you can have to retain any scholarship is a 2.5. About 1 in 6 lose their scholarships each year.

Well then your first priority should be to try to get them to remove the stipulation that you keep a certain GPA or lower the minimum GPA. They might do it.

If not, I would consider attending anyway, but only if you are 100 percent comfident you will be willing to eat the living expenses you have already paid, quit the school, and give up at least for a while on being a lawyer if you lose the scholarship.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Definitely try to negotiate the GPA condition out.