LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
edited April 2018 in General 1028 karma

Comments

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

Hiii!

I have posted this article on a different discussion, but it is very applicable for you, so check it out:

https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/ask-asha/speaking-law-school-scams

CONGRATS on the mega scholarship!!! :smile:

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

My advice would be to ask for a longer timeline. Explain that you're excited by their generous offer, but you want to have as much information as possible to make the right decision. As long as you're polite they're not going to pull the offer, the worst outcome is that they say sorry, that's the deadline and it's set in stone. But they might give you some extra time.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    @tylerdschreur10 How much extra time do you think is OK to request? Would it be rude to request until the second deposit deadline (June) instead of the first? Or would some date like May 1 be more reasonable?

Maybe just ask for additional time and see what they give you?

Did you write Why Michigan and Why Duke essays?

You should also write to Michigan and or Duke telling them about the situation and that you need a decision by WUSTL's deadline.

I've had somewhat similar offers/experience in this process which might inform your decision somewhat. I have a 3.81, 180. WUSTL gave me a full tuition scholarship without a stipend. I'm in at Duke and Michigan. At Michigan I have a Deans Scholarship of $50000 a year. They told me exaxtly 1 week after I was admitted. At Duke I don't know my scholarship info yet and won't until at least April. For some incomprehensible reason, Duke mails financial aid information rather than emailing it. This would probably make it hard for them to respond to WUSTL's offer in a timely fashion.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Absolutely don't sell yourself short! You only get one shot at law school! Don't settle for any less than your dreams :smile:

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" Thanks for the info and congrats on the huge Michigan $$$! Weird that Duke uses snail mail for their scholarship notification. Hope you get good news back from them soon as well!

I'll just be asking WUSTL for more time, as you've suggested. Hopefully they are generous with their extension.

Also, seeing your story on the boards has motivated me to gear up for a 3rd attempt to see if I can break 175 haha.

I thought the Duke snail mail thing was wierd too, but probably worth knowing for you especially if you would take WUSTL with that scholarship over Duke at sticker, but would take Duke depending on the scholarship. If you have to be accepted, schedule and do the scholarship interview, and then wait for a response in the mail, it could be a while.

As far as the LSAT, it's almost always worth a retake since the schools mostly take the highest score. 7sage was a huge motivator for me when I was retaking too!

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@LastLSAT It went really well! I actually had some cool things in common with my interviewer and, though the interview was definitely structured, we had time to just talk also :smile: - overall very positive experience!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

What @PearsonSpecterLittUp wrote is very important. They really can't make you withdraw applications to schools from which you have yet to get a decision. Probably the best route is to ask for an extension. May 1 seems like a good target date, you're very likely to have heard from Mich and Duke by then.