Weightlifting/Fitness in Law School

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
in Off-topic 3788 karma

When are you guys planning to work out during law school? Morning, afternoon, evening? I was thinking of doing a 3-day a week full-body workout regimen consisting of deadlifts, squats and bench. What kind of workout plan will you guys follow?

Comments

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

I am a big advocate of Stronglifts 5×5 its 3 times a week and is great for overall strength development. There is also a nifty app for tracking your progress

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    When are you guys planning to work out during law school? Morning, afternoon, evening? I was thinking of doing a 3-day a week full-body workout regimen consisting of deadlifts, squats and bench. What kind of workout plan will you guys follow?

1 day a week of full upper body / core and 2 days a week of basketball.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

Weight lifting 3 days a week. I will workout in the evenings, most likely. Maybe some afternoons.

How long have you been lifting, westcoast? I started a few years ago now.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited March 2018 4850 karma

6 days a week of running at zero stupid early (run and done prior to waking the family up to start their day). I’ve found that if I don’t get a run in early, it is the first thing to get skipped. My wife doesn’t like it when I don’t workout regularly because I turn into a grump. ETA: My wife’s only condition for me going to LS is that I continue to workout / run.

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    edited March 2018 399 karma

I imagine that I will be doing it in the evening. It depends on the type of person you are. At the moment I work full time and then study 3 to 4.5 hours after work. So, if work out at all during the week, it's at night. I also do my best to go every Saturday and Sunday and one day in the middle of the week. Since I work and study for about 60 hours total a week I'd imagine my schedule will be relatively similar to what it is now...? As far as what I plan to do - probably not full body everyday since I will likely go two days in a row on the weekends.

I like this question. This is something I think about a lot when I consider law school life. Like, will I even have time to eat? lol I really don't know.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    I am a big advocate of Stronglifts 5×5 its 3 times a week and is great for overall strength development. There is also a nifty app for tracking your progress

Yes! Its great!. Whats the app called?

edited March 2018 3788 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    Weight lifting 3 days a week. I will workout in the evenings, most likely. Maybe some afternoons.

How long have you been lifting, westcoast? I started a few years ago now.

Been a couple years but I was more intense in college than now. I don't really have access to a barbell so I have been doing mostly dumbell work and the community fitness gym in my area, which has cable machines.

3788 karma

Haha imagine getting cold called while you are shaking in your seat.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think I'd go for the more subtle ab belt - no one would even know! And rock hard abs without cutting into study time. It's a win-win.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MBNB9B/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B077MBNB9B&pd_rd_wg=ajqyH&pd_rd_r=6GF8DT306CP9XZHRW4C6&pd_rd_w=bsMkY

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

@westcoastbestcoast its called 5×5 i swear by it

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I'm going to eat lots of Reese's and play video games in any free time I have. I fully expect to inflate like a balloon during law school. I've already made peace with it. You people and your motivation to workout astound me. I can barely be bothered to get up to turn my TV down when I can't find the remote!

• IgnatiusIgnatius Alum Member
    382 karma

@10000019 , haha!

• IgnatiusIgnatius Alum Member
    382 karma

Is there a body type that's more conducive to doing well in law school?

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

@Ignatius said:

Probably not a "body type" but definitely a fitness level! I think while learning for any extended period of time it's best to have some sort of muscle-building exercise routine built-in and to not be too thin or too fat.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Evening all the way haha

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Any other rock climbers on here? :D
    All of the schools I'm most excited for coincidentally have excellent rock climbing gyms nearby. Oh gosh, there is this bolder gym in Austin that is incredible. I'd love to make it out two or three evenings a week--maybe swapping a climb out for a yoga sesh.

• Victoria-1Victoria-1 Free Trial Member
    100 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:

Stronglifts is awesome. I’m going to give the 9-5 school/study schedule a try, so probably evening. I have the best workouts late morning though so not sure how it’ll go.

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

I run long distance in the AM before class right now and do heavy weights once during the weekend so I’ll probably do my best to continue that!

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

distance cycling and running in the AM is what I do now (usually as a commute). If crunched for time, or if weather doesn't permit, I'll probably throw my bike into the trainer to do intervals in Zwift. That, and calisthenics twice a week.

I remember P90x was a great workout program back in college. It's what helped me get in shape.

3788 karma

@Ignatius said:

If the mind and body are one, you should be shredded. As you cut the fat, you can similarly trim the fat in your own writing. Legal writing is efficient and not supposed to be verbose. Being lighter in your feet may help you become quicker in your thoughts especially when you are put in the spot by a professor in a cold call or a judge.

Just kidding

3788 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    6 days a week of running at zero stupid early (run and done prior to waking the family up to start their day). I’ve found that if I don’t get a run in early, it is the first thing to get skipped. My wife doesn’t like it when I don’t workout regularly because I turn into a grump. ETA: My wife’s only condition for me going to LS is that I continue to workout / run.

How do you avoid shin splints? I admire your consistency with running. The most I could ever run was 2.7 miles lol

edited March 2018 3788 karma

@PublicInterested said:
    All of the schools I'm most excited for coincidentally have excellent rock climbing gyms nearby. Oh gosh, there is this bolder gym in Austin that is incredible. I'd love to make it out two or three evenings a week--maybe swapping a climb out for a yoga sesh.

I know pull ups arent as intense but I have been trying to get my pullup strength up so I can do rock climbing. Rock climbing seems like a fun,functional exercise. Do you have any tips for beginners like myself? I will probably go to law school that has a big rock climbing wall.

• batstephbatsteph Alum Member
    6 karma

I do a lot of oly lifting and weighted carries/prowler work. It's visceral mostly

My gym is open 24 hours and I go pretty late (1-2am right before bed) so I'm kind of worried about adjusting that schedule for law school

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

How do you avoid shin splints? I admire your consistency with running. The most I could ever run was 2.7 miles lol

@westcoastbestcoast I wish I had some miraculous injury prevent regimen to share, but the truth is I got lucky in the parental /genetic lottery. That coupled with a career choice in which it was usually considered acceptable / if not encouraged to walk out of the office at random times of the day to exercise.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@PublicInterested said:

I know pull ups arent as intense but I have been trying to get my pullup strength up so I can do rock climbing. Rock climbing seems like a fun,functional exercise. Do you have any tips for beginners like myself? I will probably go to law school that has a big rock climbing wall.

Awesome! It's a TON of fun. I'd recommend watching a video on technique (I've linked one below) and then just finding a gym and climbing. Lots of people do climb training (like pull ups, core workouts, messing around on hangboards to build finger strength), but the best way to get better is to just climb actual routes. I'd recommend bouldering first (climbing on shorter routes without any harness or rope), as it's employs the basic technique of all types of climbing. It's also a type of climbing that you can do by yourself. I prefer rock climbing to weight lifting because it's a hell of a lot more fun, it's functional, and the way that it makes my body look.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

If you go to UCI, it has the nicest infinity pool and it is heated (or at least it doesnt feel cold on cold days) and it isnt super chlorinated which is great. They have a bin of water polo balls and fins and things like that to train with. They sell cheap goggles for and caps for ~$10 total. I know you're talking about weights but swimming is good cardio to add to weights and it's a great stress reliever :D

3788 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    If you go to UCI, it has the nicest infinity pool and it is heated (or at least it doesnt feel cold on cold days) and it isnt super chlorinated which is great. They have a bin of water polo balls and fins and things like that to train with. They sell cheap goggles for and caps for ~$10 total. I know you're talking about weights but swimming is good cardio to add to weights and it's a great stress reliever :D

Thanks for the heads up! Swimming is great and builds up the back. Easier on the knees too since your knees aren't reeling from the impact from having your feet strike the concrete

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:

I had absolutely terrible shin splints when I first started running Cross Country in high school. The primary reason for this was because I had bad running form. Once I got the CORRECT orthotics and shoes (the other running shoe store put me in a really supportive shoe when I needed the opposite) my shin splints went away. Also, spelling out the alphabet with your toes helps build up that muscle. I used to do that in class a bunch. They also sell those compression shin sleeves but idk how much those actually help since I never have personally used them.

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

Shaking in your seat — hello, Socratic method!