Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overheating Computer

emunroemunro Alum Member

My computer (15 in macbook pro - about 3 years old) fans every time I do certain things on the 7sage website (ie watch many videos in a row). I use google chrome.

I shut down my computer regularly, quit out of unnecessary tabs and applications (to the point that this website is the only thing open). Any suggestions? I purchased a stand for my laptop that has cooling fans, though sometimes my computer will still fan.

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited March 2018 9377 karma

@emunro said:
    My computer (15 in macbook pro - about 3 years old) fans every time I do certain things on the 7sage website (ie watch many videos in a row). I use google chrome.

I shut down my computer regularly, quit out of unnecessary tabs and applications (to the point that this website is the only thing open). Any suggestions? I purchased a stand for my laptop that has cooling fans, though sometimes my computer will still fan.

Does it happen when you use other sites? Have you discussed this issue with Apple? I think it might be caused by hardware issues. I'm using MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) and watching a Live Commentary video (bigger file than lessons) on Chrome as I'm writing this on Safari, but Chrome isn't using much CPU.

I think Apple would suggest SMC and NVRAM resets (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295; https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063), but I don't know. You can talk to Apple support: https://support.apple.com

You can also monitor and control fans using apps (like Macs Fan Control). But this may damage your MacBook Pro (if done inappropriately).

Tagging @"Alan Cheuk"

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

@emunro I have an 09' macbook pro that does the same thing. I quit unnecessary apps but it still occasionally heats up and uses the fan when I'm watching 7sage videos. If you're using it with the stand with cooling fans I think you'll be fine, I've never had any issues

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Are sure sure that it's overheating? Try livebooting a different OS, and see if you can replicate your problem.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Also clean your laptop using compressed air. Your laptop fans may be running on full tilt and harder than they should because of dust. Also, it is also possible that something is triggering the kernaltask function in your mac to go off. Sometimes this function goes off even though your laptop may not even be overheating which would lead to throttled performance and fans constantly being on full tilt. Check task manager if kernaltask is operating. Sometimes the function goes off due to a faulty temperature sensor.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Don’t use chrome. Uninstall flash. Don’t have a bunch of tabs open at once. Don’t have the laptop on your lap or a blanket.

Are your fans going in overdrive?

• @emunro said:

@Eric25 said:
    @emunro I have an 09' macbook pro that does the same thing. I quit unnecessary apps but it still occasionally heats up and uses the fan when I'm watching 7sage videos. If you're using it with the stand with cooling fans I think you'll be fine, I've never had any issues

ANSWER: Same thing happened to me for like 3 months I was wondering what the hell was going on?! I had my 2016 MacBook pro charging, and while doing work on 7sage and no other apps opened... it got so hot! The fans were working as hard as they could to cool it down, but it just didn't work. It was so loud, I finally shut it off to rest/cool down.
    I thought after that, and tried out a method in hopes that it would work. So here's what I did; computer charger was green, fully charged. Unplug your charger & use 7sage off the battery. IT WORKED!!! NO more overheating, or loud fan. [When you charge at the same time as using 7sage, it drains the battery & forced your Mac to overheat]
    SADLY, when this method works for you, you'll notice that your battery will now rapidly drain without it being charged at the same time. It's just the way 7sage works :(. But once your computer dies, just shut it down and charge it fully again. This is the only way I was able to fix this exact issue.
    Usually I get around 2 and a half hours from the full battery, but then it gives you a good time for a study break. And around 2 hours to charge fully.

That's how I did it anyway, and it might be annoying to wait that long... but unless you have a desktop it's the best method.

Hope this helps!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

I found what I did when my fans were going on overdrive. This helped.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If the battery is nonremovable:
    Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.
    After your Mac shuts down, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the built-in keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
    If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.
    Release all keys.
    Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
    If the battery is removable:
    Shut down your Mac.
    Remove the battery. If you need help removing the battery, contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store.
    Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
    Reinstall the battery.
    Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.