Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two questions on LOR and Timing

futurelawyer22futurelawyer22 Alum Member
edited March 2018 in Law School Admissions 69 karma

Hey 7Sagers,

First, congrats to all those being accepted to law school this round!

I have two questions on the application process. First, I've heard from 7Sagers, other applicants and adcoms themselves that a letter of rec from a professor is important. I had a great experience in an undergraduate criminal law class and the instructor said he'd be happy to write me a letter of rec. My concern is that he's only a "Lecturer" and not a tenured professor. Might adcoms frown upon this?

Second, when did y'all start writing your personal statements? I hope to apply this fall, and I'd like to take the July or September LSAT. Is it best to push the writing until after I'm done with the LSAT? I could see it being a bit "cart before the horse" to write it before I'm satisfied with my LSAT score, but I also don't want to push it off and then be tempted to write it hastily so I can get my apps in. Any advice would be great!

Comments

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Hey so i cant answer your first question. But i think that you should focus your efforts on getting that score that you are happy with b4 you get involved in writing essays. Personally i wrote mine when i took some time off of studying to avoid LSAT burnouts. But when you are fresh and energized you should focus your time in the LSAT. Good luck

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 2124 karma

Would recommenders frown upon a 'Lecturer'? They won't. They're more concerned with what the recommender has to say about you than their title. In regards to you personal statement, I'm still struggling to begin mine. I agree with focusing your energy on studying for the LSAT but you should start brainstorming topics and when you have downtime I don't think it would hurt to get a draft going.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

I doubt it. I’ve been out of school a long time. I tried getting lor from professors but couldn’t do I have work lor. It is what it is. It’s not required that one come from a professor.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

Does not matter if they're a lecturer or a university professor in a named chair…all that matters is that they know you and your work. With law school admissions, they're preferably someone whose seen your writing, ability to reason through tough material, and proficiency as a public speaker or discussion participant in class. If you were applying to grad school in an academic field (like you wanted a PhD in philosophy), I think it's different--then, you don't want a TA or lecturer (I think)

Get a start on the PS now but definitely put most of your effort toward the LSAT. I'd brainstorm and then dig into the PS after the test. Shouldn't take more than a few weeks to pump out a draft and then revise, revise, revise. Get feedback from others and feel free to reach out to people here