Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Emory VS Brooklyn ?

TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
in General 587 karma

Hi everyone,

I was just accepted into Emory Law, which I’m still freaking out about ! I initially thought I would be accepting Brooklyn’s offer because I want to work in NYC. Goal was Columbia but I’m doubtful I’ll be accepted. If I want to practice in NYC, should I focus more on rank or being situated in NYC? I know Emory is the better school but Brooklyn does pretty well with big law in NYC.

Thoughts ? I don’t know any lawyers in the US, so really 7Sage is my only place to get answers haha.

Comments

• Have you visited either of them?

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

Wow I didn't think Brooklyn Law held much weight in NYC. This is coming from an NYC native here. Maybe visit each school and look at employment rates, and opportunities you would be interested in. The best people to answer that question are current students.

• TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
    587 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:
    Wow I didn't think Brooklyn Law held much weight in NYC. This is coming from an NYC native here. Maybe visit each school and look at employment rates, and opportunities you would be interested in. The best people to answer that question are current students.

They typically place about 70 students a year in big law, and this is from a third party source. The grads that talked to really like the school...but then again, I’m sure there are people who would have some not-so-flattering comments to make.

I know Emory is ranked significantly higher. I visited Brooklyn and I liked it, and the people that I met.Currently booking flights to visi Emory.

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

That's a difficult decision. If you want to practice in NY, then I am leaning Brooklyn. However, from my knowledge Emory does place graduates in NY (Atlanta native). However, I do not know if its a large enough amount to base anything on or how much class rank matters in this decision. Though, it is definitely not unheard of for an Emory law grad. Brooklyn offers you ties and network in the actual area you want to practice, however Emory has prestige which is arguably more regional centered in the south. I would say talk to the actual students at Emory and see if you can find anyone who knows someone gunning for NY or is gunning for NY. Also, you can see if you can get in contact with Emory's career service office to see their placement/recruitment efforts in NY.

• @"Idil.Beshir" said:
    Hi everyone,

I was just accepted into Emory Law, which I’m still freaking out about ! I initially thought I would be accepting Brooklyn’s offer because I want to work in NYC. Goal was Columbia but I’m doubtful I’ll be accepted. If I want to practice in NYC, should I focus more on rank or being situated in NYC? I know Emory is the better school but Brooklyn does pretty well with big law in NYC.

Thoughts ? I don’t know any lawyers in the US, so really 7Sage is my only place to get answers haha.

Did either one offer a deal for competition? I'd say to go with whatever school makes a better offer for academic purposes/cost.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

The problem overall is that these schools are only going to get you into Big Law if you get fairly lucky with regards to first year grades.

Because of this and because I'm naturally a pessimist, I would focus on which school will leave me less poorly off if I didn't manage to get Big Law. That obviously depends mostly on scholarships.

However scholarships equal, it also depends what you really want to do afterwards. If it's live in New York City even if you miss Big Law, then go to school there. Otherwise go to Emory where if you miss Big Law you'll probably find a local job which won't offer a great salary, but also won't have the cost of living of New York City.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Realize that both schools wouldn't give a big chance at BigLaw. If you don't mind working small law or working in public interest to stay in New York I would go to Brooklyn. How much scholarship money did you get from Brooklyn.

• @westcoastbestcoast said:
    Realize that both schools wouldn't give a big chance at BigLaw. If you don't mind working small law or working in public interest to stay in New York I would go to Brooklyn. How much scholarship money did you get from Brooklyn.

Same question I'm curious about

587 karma

Thank you everyone! I received a little over 40k from Brooklyn. I haven’t tried negotiating yet. Emory offered me a dismal 12k. I am definitely leaning towards Brooklyn, but with Emory being a hired ranked school, I was worried about making the wrong decision.

• @"Idil.Beshir" said:
    Thank you everyone! I received a little over 40k from Brooklyn. I haven’t tried negotiating yet. Emory offered me a dismal 12k. I am definitely leaning towards Brooklyn, but with Emory being a hired ranked school, I was worried about making the wrong decision.

Go Brooklyn

587 karma

Thanks everyone! Still praying CLS comes through with an acceptance. Is it worth retaking in June in the event I'm WL?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited March 2018 4196 karma

Brooklyn is better than Emory for NYC, it is their home market and you will be there all year so you will form connections during the semesters. Brooklyn isn't the best for biglaw, but could be an option if you kill it there. Given Brooklyn is cheaper and you want NYC, it beats emory by a long shot honestly.

Good luck!

3788 karma

@TheMikey said:
    Brooklyn is better than Emory for NYC, it is their home market and you will be there all year so you will form connections during the semesters. Brooklyn isn't the best for biglaw, but could be an option if you kill it there. Given Brooklyn is cheaper and you want NYC, it beats emory by a long shot honestly.

Good luck!

Long time no see. Hows your cycle been??

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3197 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Realize that both schools wouldn't give a big chance at BigLaw.

I can't speak to Brooklyn but Emory stats and employment reports make it seem that Big Law is an option. They just sent us a really detailed breakdown of OCI/hiring stats and big law is represented.

I'm in a similar position with Cardozo and Emory. Currently $135k to Cardozo and 108k to Emory. GW also at 105 but I'm not eligible for PI Law so really leaning Emory/Cardozo also have money from Fordham but significantly less then Cardozo.

And I'd retake in June if a waitlist presented itself @Idil.Beshir

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

Brooklyn

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

what's up!

my cycle has been.. uh.. pretty bad lol. majority of my decisions are waitlists/dings with very few acceptances.. :( this is a really tough cycle. I do have an offer I like, but most of my decisions have been very upsetting and some very surprising honestly. I still have about 5 schools to hear back from though, but I'm not hopeful lol

how about you?

3788 karma

@TheMikey said:

what's up!

my cycle has been.. uh.. pretty bad lol. majority of my decisions are waitlists/dings with very few acceptances.. :( this is a really tough cycle. I do have an offer I like, but most of my decisions have been very upsetting and some very surprising honestly. I still have about 5 schools to hear back from though, but I'm not hopeful lol

how about you

I'm sorry to hear about the upsetting decisions. Its good that you have some good offers and some surprising acceptances. My cycle has been going well. Got rejected from schools that I was a long shot in but got alot of money from some target schools.