Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holding off law school to retake

Sarah JaneSarah Jane Alum Member
in General 49 karma

Hi all,

After much contemplation, I decided to hold off law school another year and reapply. My UGPA isn't great (~3.35) and my LSAT score definitely needs improvement. Scholarships are the priority, and understand that I'm aiming pretty high. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice about how to approach a retake? I never really finished the full course (skipped around), and I intend to finish it this time. I wanted some ideas on how to set a schedule for PTs/Drills. I plan to retake and reapply in September.

Any insight is appreciated :)

Comments

• 193 karma

I'm doing the same thing, for the same reasons. I'm just plugging along. My PT scores are much higher then before my Dec. test, but I don't know. Sometimes, I just don't get a question's reasoning, and after a year of studying, I'm finally starting to grasp there are some things I just can't get.
    I'm doing 2 PT a week, and reviewing my tests and doing the drills for 3 days.
    It's been working ok for me. I go back and forth between 7Sage explanations and Manhattenprep. I did do the entire course though. I followed my syllabus timeline.
    I do well on Logic Games, and my Logic Reasoning has improved tremendously. I'm still having issues with Reading though for some reason. Something I thought I would be good at.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Don't feel badly about pushing back. I too adjusted my date for a variety of reasons :) Definitely finish the curriculum first and then try to incorporate the tools below from this webinar post completion.

https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Sounds like you're making a wise decision by retaking and reapplying.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

What is your diagnostic. What are you PT-ing right now and whats your score breakdown like

• Sarah JaneSarah Jane Alum Member
    49 karma

@catgonzalez1974 I, too, became unmotivated after I didn't hit my target score. RC is definitely a beast, and my weakest area. Wish you the best of luck! Thanks for your post.

49 karma

@tringo335 I felt bad for quite some time, until I put into perspective of how much one year could cost me which would be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Once I saw that number, I knew I made the right choice :smiley: Thank you, I will definitely watch that once I finish the course!

49 karma

Hi @westcoastbestcoast, my first ever diagnostic was a 140. I've been averaging in 149-150, and I know it's because I wasn't sticking to my study schedule or finishing the course. I intend to change those factors. My weakest area is definitely RC (average -12) and LR (-10). LG is usually -3, but I believe I can get -0 in games if I keep drilling and get the timing right.

• gzaba003-1gzaba003-1 Alum Member
    3 karma

Hi,

i am doing the same thing, graduated last fall with a 3.4 gap and took the December lsat after taking a course with blueprint. i didn't do well at all and so i have decided to take this year to study and also i work so its extra challenging to get home and study. But if you keep in track you'll make it!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@"Sarah Jane" said:
    Hi @westcoastbestcoast, my first ever diagnostic was a 140. I've been averaging in 149-150, and I know it's because I wasn't sticking to my study schedule or finishing the course. I intend to change those factors. My weakest area is definitely RC (average -12) and LR (-10). LG is usually -3, but I believe I can get -0 in games if I keep drilling and get the timing right.

Hey my first exam after going through the LG Bible was 140, so I imagine my cold diagnostic to be in high 130s. I ended up with a 161 on the exam officially after taking quite a bit of time to prep ( 2 years). I would focus heavily on drilling problematic question types. Limit PTs to 1 or 2 a week. I also made it a habit of reading difficult material and also focusing on overall structure on RC to improve my score.

49 karma

@westcoastbestcoast Wow, congrats! Thank you for your input, I think that is the best way to tackle my weakest section is to drill by sections and questions. Realistically, I could probably only do one PT a week since I work full-time. What kind of material were you reading if you don't mind me asking?

49 karma

@gzaba003-1 I also took a course with Blueprint! I don't think it helped me much. Thank you for your positivity, and good luck on studying!!