Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 47 USNWR Released 2018

2»

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@PublicInterested said:
    Looks like all of 7Sage is going to UCI. :B

They're very high on my list! It'll depend on if UT accepts my scholarship appeal letter. We can all be friiiieeeends.

Except me because they haven't sent me a decision yet! :'(

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@PublicInterested said:

They're very high on my list! It'll depend on if UT accepts my scholarship appeal letter. We can all be friiiieeeends.

Positive thinking!!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@spitzy11 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@PublicInterested said:

Positive thinking!!

I'm trying! haha

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@spitzy11 said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@PublicInterested said:

Positive thinking!!

I'm trying! haha

There should be "7Sage Law Students Association" at every law school!

• sunflowersandlawsunflowersandlaw Alum Member
    360 karma

Can someone explain to me what a drop in rank would mean for a school? Would they be more willing to take a higher lsat score / meh gpa?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@spitzy11 said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@spitzy11 said:

@cstrobel said:

@cstrobel said:

@spitzy11 said:
    YES YES YES
    FWIW, I visited UCI yesterday and LOVED it. Such an awesome atmosphere.

I live on campus at UCI (in a PhD program though). Lemme know if you have any questions about the student or the area!

Whats the best housing for the quality and price? Palo verde?

Palo Verde and Verano are the best options, including off campus options too. They're pretty equal, depends more on the apartment type in the community. When you apply for housing you can apply with specific room types in both communities at the same time, so you can put you preferences down by price if you'd like.

They're on average the same quality, although PV is more variable (some not so good, others very nice) than Verano.

Zot zot!

Do you know if it’s true that there are pretty much no one bedrooms available in Palo Verde and Verano?? I’m bringing my cat so I’m super pumped those two allow you to bring them!! ?

Woah who said that??

Financial aid (unless I misinterpreted?). She said there’s a shortage in housing overall.

Ugh how are they going to follow up with their promise to guarantee housing

3788 karma

@PublicInterested said:

They're very high on my list! It'll depend on if UT accepts my scholarship appeal letter. We can all be friiiieeeends

Lets make a study group and get A's, if we all end up going

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

@spitzy11 said:

@spitzy11 said:

@cstrobel said:

@cstrobel said:

@spitzy11 said:
    YES YES YES
    FWIW, I visited UCI yesterday and LOVED it. Such an awesome atmosphere.

I live on campus at UCI (in a PhD program though). Lemme know if you have any questions about the student or the area!

Whats the best housing for the quality and price? Palo verde?

Palo Verde and Verano are the best options, including off campus options too. They're pretty equal, depends more on the apartment type in the community. When you apply for housing you can apply with specific room types in both communities at the same time, so you can put you preferences down by price if you'd like.

They're on average the same quality, although PV is more variable (some not so good, others very nice) than Verano.

Zot zot!

Do you know if it’s true that there are pretty much no one bedrooms available in Palo Verde and Verano?? I’m bringing my cat so I’m super pumped those two allow you to bring them!! ?

Woah who said that??

Financial aid (unless I misinterpreted?). She said there’s a shortage in housing overall.

Ugh how are they going to follow up with their promise to guarantee housing

I have no idea lol. On the plus side, she did communicate that the housing app is a "best fit" approach, not a first come first serve. I was really happy to hear that since I'm tryyyyying to hold out for two others schools to decide what's up w my app haha

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2018 7468 karma

Almost every 1L in my class who lives on campus is in a 2-bedroom. They're pretty good at pairing pet-lovers with pet-lovers, and non-pet-lovers with non-pet-lovers.

Glad to know that 7Sage is showing love for UCI. Fun fact: Pacifico (creator of the Logic Games Attack Strategy) attends UCI and is in his second year of his 4-year JD/MBA program.

9372 karma

@DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Almost every 1L in my class who lives on campus is in a 2-bedroom. They're pretty good at pairing pet-lovers from not pet-lovers.

Glad to know that 7Sage is showing love for UCI. Fun fact: Pacifico (creator of the Logic Games Attack Strategy) attends UCI and is in his second year of his 4-year JD/MBA program.

@Pacifico & @DumbHollywoodActor in one school! This explains +7 in the ranking!

3788 karma

Almost every 1L in my class who lives on campus is in a 2-bedroom. They're pretty good at pairing pet-lovers with pet-lovers, and non-pet-lovers with non-pet-lovers.

So it is very difficult getting one bedroom apartments?

• cstrobelcstrobel Alum Member
    228 karma

@westcoastbestcoast @spitzy11
    So, I actually sit on the housing planning committees. The shortage, writ large, won't affect the three year guarantee that law students get. It affects PhD programs and those who are trying to get in off the housing wait list. Plus, any charge in a guarantee would only affect future classes and not those already given a guarantee...gotta love contracts, am I right?? ;)
    One bedrooms are scarce, no matter the program you are in.

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma

So it is very difficult getting one bedroom apartments?

I think that's a fair assumption to make.

9372 karma

I don't know if this is true, but I just saw this on Reddit about Pepperdine:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmissions/comments/8501vo/pepperdine_law_ranking/

According to this post, they submitted the wrong median LSAT, so they're gonna be "unranked."

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@akistotle said:
    I don't know if this is true, but I just saw this on Reddit about Pepperdine:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmissions/comments/8501vo/pepperdine_law_ranking/

According to this post, they submitted the wrong median LSAT, so they're gonna be "unranked."

Sounds like there will be a job opening with a special emphasis on a detail-oriented personality!

At least the school made a mistake and tried to correct it (if everything is as alleged). Way better than University of Illinois College of Law.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Hi all - would it be odd/inappropriate to ask one of the deans at a law school why their ranking has dropped? I don't want to make them uncomfortable but at the same time I'd like to know why their ranking dropped and how this drop is going to affect applications. Just wanted some guidance. Thx.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    Hi all - would it be odd/inappropriate to ask one of the deans at a law school why their ranking has dropped? I don't want to make them uncomfortable but at the same time I'd like to know why their ranking dropped and how this drop is going to affect applications. Just wanted some guidance. Thx.

It might be. Just wait for the actual rankings to be out. When they come out there will be specialty rankings for things like employment and LSAT and GPA medians.

Since you can look up the factors which determine law school ranking and find out how they changed, why ask the school? They are not going to like the question. Further, you shouldn't trust their answer. Finally, a small drop in the rankings probably usually shouldn't determine your decision. They vary year to year and its normal.

It's good to have contact with them though. Ask something else, they can help you with that you won't be able to answer easilly on your own.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@LCMama2017 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. It's likely a sensitive topic and the dean probably wouldn't want to discuss their school dropping. It's something that should be researchable though. And then if you came up with a reason for that drop, could be something to ask about. Like, you know I've noticed a higher percentage of students not finding employment by graduation. Is there something specific you are doing to try to provide more resources for job hunting?

Although you would still want to tread lightly and make sure it isn't confrontational. Up until you are totally committed to attending, you're still negotiating with them and want to stay in their good graces!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@"Leah M B" @"Seeking Perfection" - thanks, appreciate your answers. I won't ask but I'll research about it as you suggest. The drop was only 2 points so not horrible. They are not highly ranked so I just thought it was unfortunate that they dropped 2 points. @"Seeking Perfection" I thought the list from OP was the actual list!

4423 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    @"Leah M B" @"Seeking Perfection" - thanks, appreciate your answers. I won't ask but I'll research about it as you suggest. The drop was only 2 points so not horrible. They are not highly ranked so I just thought it was unfortunate that they dropped 2 points. @"Seeking Perfection" I thought the list from OP was the actual list!

It likely is. The same guy correctly leaked the list last year.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

When are the full rankings to be released? I know it's tomorrow but what time? I really want to see the numbers.

• americandreameramericandreamer Free Trial Member
    21 karma

I never fully understood the importance of the rankings. Obviously higher ranked schools are more desirable to a certain degree (at least to some) due to prestige and a plethora of other reasons. But these rankings change every year and a school once ranked low Tier 1 might now be ranked high Tier 2. We could enter a law school that ranks completely different, for better or worse, by the time we graduate. So, why are rankings so important?

Perhaps this is the reason most people aspire to attend T14 schools whose rankings are pretty consistent and well-known? But what does this mean for Georgetown if, hypothetically, the school is now ranked 15th instead of 14th? Or UCI which is relatively young but ranking higher than schools that have been around longer and making its way to the top despite its novelty (which, analogously speaking, reminds me a lot of “new money” from The Great Gatsby). Or maybe it’s so not so much the exact rank, but the Tier?

I don’t know if my comment is irrelevant to this forum, but I’d welcome some insight on this!

21 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    When are the full rankings to be released? I know it's tomorrow but what time? I really want to see the numbers.

Looks like they’re up!
    https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings

4423 karma

@americandreamer said:
    I never fully understood the importance of the rankings. Obviously higher ranked schools are more desirable to a certain degree (at least to some) due to prestige and a plethora of other reasons. But these rankings change every year and a school once ranked low Tier 1 might now be ranked high Tier 2. We could enter a law school that ranks completely different, for better or worse, by the time we graduate. So, why are rankings so important?

Perhaps this is the reason most people aspire to attend T14 schools whose rankings are pretty consistent and well-known? But what does this mean for Georgetown if, hypothetically, the school is now ranked 15th instead of 14th? Or UCI which is relatively young but ranking higher than schools that have been around longer and making its way to the top despite its novelty (which, analogously speaking, reminds me a lot of “new money” from The Great Gatsby). Or maybe it’s so not so much the exact rank, but the Tier?

I don’t know if my comment is irrelevant to this forum, but I’d welcome some insight on this!

I'll give it a stab. The rankings are important because three powerful groups of people think they are important. These people are employers, law schools themselves, and students.

Students want to go to the best school they can and the easiest way to determine what school is best is to look at its current US News rank. Even if students didn't care themselves though, the other two groups caring would mean students would have to care. Schools will often negotiate and raise the scholarships of those who got into or received scholarships from higher or closely ranked schools, but won't for schools just a handful of spots below. This implies that the schools are less good than the ones they will negotiate with and better than the ones they refuse to negotiate with. Finally, employers (partially because students compete so heavilly to get into the best school they can) treat school rank as a measure of quality of students and will usually take people with lower grades at a better ranked school. This of course makes students try all the harder to get into the best school they can and makes schools compete even harder for the best students so they can advance in the rankings which makes employers see the competition for which law school people get into as even more insightful.

Within this framework what does something like the Top 14 mean? Well, it means whatever all three groups seem to think it means. For a long time they had a common definition. The Top 14 were the clear 14 most prestigious schools in the country which had been at the top of the rankings since the begining of the rankings. Now that Texas has busted the Top 14, I would say it doesn't really mean much anymore. It is pretty clear there is no significant difference between Texas and Georgetown and it would be hard to maintain that there is a huge difference to Cornell either. So the bottom of the Top 14 is a little softer now. I don't think it matters all that much who is 14th vs 15th. But if Georgetown returns to the Top 14 and the same 14 schools stay there for ten or twenty years again then it will matter as a distinction again.

Things like tiers kind of matter too. For example Harvard, Yale and Stanford have been the best 3 schools in the country for a long time. If Chicago passes Harvard in the rankings, then that would matter quite a bit. For years Columbia, Chicago, and NYU have tried to lure top students away from Harvard, Yale, and Stanford with scholarships. Suddenly that wouldn't make as much sense anymore.

Anyways, the rankings mean whatever we all think theh mean. But, since no individual actor can ignore them on his or her own almost all good law school outcomes from employment, to a good LRAP, to clerkship numbers remain dependent on rank.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@americandreamer said:

@goingfor99th said:

Looks like they’re up!
    https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings

Can't see the numbers. :'[

21 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@americandreamer said:

I'll give it a stab. The rankings are important because three powerful groups of people think they are important. These people are employers, law schools themselves, and students.

Students want to go to the best school they can and the easiest way to determine what school is best is to look at its current US News rank. Even if students didn't care themselves though, the other two groups caring would mean students would have to care. Schools will often negotiate and raise the scholarships of those who got into or received scholarships from higher or closely ranked schools, but won't for schools just a handful of spots below. This implies that the schools are less good than the ones they will negotiate with and better than the ones they refuse to negotiate with. Finally, employers (partially because students compete so heavilly to get into the best school they can) treat school rank as a measure of quality of students and will usually take people with lower grades at a better ranked school. This of course makes students try all the harder to get into the best school they can and makes schools compete even harder for the best students so they can advance in the rankings which makes employers see the competition for which law school people get into as even more insightful.

Within this framework what does something like the Top 14 mean? Well, it means whatever all three groups seem to think it means. For a long time they had a common definition. The Top 14 were the clear 14 most prestigious schools in the country which had been at the top of the rankings since the begining of the rankings. Now that Texas has busted the Top 14, I would say it doesn't really mean much anymore. It is pretty clear there is no significant difference between Texas and Georgetown and it would be hard to maintain that there is a huge difference to Cornell either. So the bottom of the Top 14 is a little softer now. I don't think it matters all that much who is 14th vs 15th. But if Georgetown returns to the Top 14 and the same 14 schools stay there for ten or twenty years again then it will matter as a distinction again.

Things like tiers kind of matter too. For example Harvard, Yale and Stanford have been the best 3 schools in the country for a long time. If Chicago passes Harvard in the rankings, then that would matter quite a bit. For years Columbia, Chicago, and NYU have tried to lure top students away from Harvard, Yale, and Stanford with scholarships. Suddenly that wouldn't make as much sense anymore.

Anyways, the rankings mean whatever we all think theh mean. But, since no individual actor can ignore them on his or her own almost all good law school outcomes from employment, to a good LRAP, to clerkship numbers remain dependent on rank.

This is what I was looking for. Thank you!

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma

Pretty late to the party, but could somebody explain what factors have contributed to UCI's rise since its establishment?

Sincerely,
    A Clueless Canadian

4423 karma

I know the rankings are based at least in part on reputation. So I would say that UCI by actually placing students in desireable jobs has probably created something of a reputation for itself among both practicing lawyers and other legal academics.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    edited March 2018 588 karma

Here is the link for methodology for the rankings:
    https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/law-schools-methodology

One of the factors taken account is peer assessment score and assessment score by lawyers and judges, where they are "asked to rate programs on a scale from marginal (1) to outstanding (5). Those individuals who did not know enough about a school to evaluate it fairly were asked to mark "don't know.""

So I figure that as time goes by, more people become familiar with UCI and their grads, and therefore their peer assessment score probably rises with it, hence their rankings as well.

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2018 8021 karma

Along with the improvement in reputation, we finally caught a small break here: "In this year's law school rankings, U.S. News slightly reduced the discount for jobs funded by the law school or university in the calculation of employment rates of 2016 grads at graduation and 10 months after. This was done to better reflect the American Bar Association's current definition of long-term school funded jobs."

UCI leads the country with the most school funded fellowships. Previously I thought school funded jobs were jobs actually working at the school, but we actually put people in programs like Gideon's Promise that sends new graduates to underserved communities as public defenders. Personally I don't think these should be weighted any less than any other jobs requiring bar passage but at least they're moving in the right direction.

I should probably start a UCI thread to answer people's other questions...