LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
edited April 2018 in General 1028 karma

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

What school is this? and what specialty were you speaking of? Feel free to PM if you want to keep it confidential

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

Whoops. Just reread the post. Not talking about just classes. :X

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Hey, I work in healthcare and spoke with the VP General counsel of a medical facility. The first thing she's looking for is where you graduated, not what kind of health law classes you took. Most of the practical training for lawyers happen on the job, through full time positions or internships. Don't worry too much about the concentration. You're biggest competitive advantage for jobs besides 1L grades is where you graduated from

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

There’s also always summers and general work experience. Not sure but do hospitals or other places in healthcare law take on interns or law clerks? I would guess hands-on training would be just as important.

I haven’t looked into it much, but I know that sometimes there is an option to be a visiting student at a different law school. It’s not transferring, you remain on record with your current school. More similar to an exchange program. Perhaps you could look into a visiting option at a school that has courses you are interested in? See if there might be a chance to spend a semester or year or something in another program and take some additional courses.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

If I was choosing between 2 schools, with no relevant differences (bar pass rate, job placement rate, salary all the same), and I could pay $0 for a school that didnt offer anything in a field I was deadset on going into, or I could pay $50k tuition (total over 3 years) or less for a school that had a strong program in the field I was interested in and placed really well in that field, I might lean toward paying the $50k. I chose kind of an arbitrary number but that's just around the amount of debt I would be comfortable being in.
    On the other hand, speaking from my experience working in mid-law for the past few years, I havent read many attorney resumes in which the classes/internships/clinics they participated in lined up with the field they ended up working in.
    It's kind of hard for me to imagine that there are 0 possible health law internships you could get into while going to that school. Maybe look into health law internships in the region and see what you could do over the summer. Check out other schools which do offer health law internships and maybe contact those firms and see if they accept students from diff schools.