Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where should I apply?

rfisher95-1rfisher95-1 Alum Member
edited March 2018 in Law School Admissions 12 karma

I am unsure where to apply. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.65
LSAT: 165
Jobs/Internships: ACLU, 3 years at a law firm during college, congressional campaign, Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust
College: UCLA

Have a great letter of rec from a sitting congressman and a few from professors. Where should I apply?

Admin note: edited title for clarity

Comments

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

LSAC GPA/LSAT calculator will give you a good starting point

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Do you have any specific goals? Do you want to stay in California? Are you hoping for biglaw, PI, etc? Are you willing to take on much debt?

Especially being local, USC and UCLA would make a lot of sense for you. And UCI is climbing the rankings very quickly as well.

http://mylsn.info/ is a great place to start, using their calculator to look at odds for you at the top 100.

• rfisher95-1rfisher95-1 Alum Member
    12 karma

Thanks for the help! I'm interested in California or the Northeast (DC area specifically), my family is paying so money isn't a huge problem for me, mainly just interested in the best school I can get into.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

If ranking is most important to you and you're able to pay sticker price (#bless), I'd check out this "what are my chances" calculator from LSAC and shoot for a mix of ones that you've got a good shot at getting into with a heavy dose of those that you have less of a shot at getting into: https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/ugpalsat/ugpalsat.aspx

And just blanket a bunch of schools with like a 15% to 75% likelihood of getting in, with one or two "0-5% chance of getting in school, just for shiggles. :)

With your numbers, it would kind of look like this (California and Northeast schools bolded):
    9 University of California—Berkeley
    9 University of Virginia
    11 Duke University
    11 Northwestern University
    13 Cornell University
    14 Georgetown University
    15 University of Texas—Austin
    16 University of California—Los Angeles
    17 Vanderbilt University
    18 Washington University in St. Louis
    19 University of Southern California
    20 University of Minnesota
    21 University of California—Irvine
    22 Boston University
    22 Emory University
    24 George Washington University
    24 University of Notre Dame
    26 Washington and Lee University
    27 Arizona State University
    27 Boston College
    27 University of Alabama

Or just blanket the T14 schools and hope for the best. Ultimately, you'll have to pick at most like 15 schools to apply to, at risk of sacrificing the quality of each schools application from the sheer annoying load--unless you don't work and can just crank out applications.

Also, if you haven't already, I'd take some of that family money and invest it in a law school admissions consultant to help you make these decisions. I have one and she's really great. I'd be happy to refer her if you want! DM me if you'r interested.