Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sending in a LOCI before hearing back?

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
edited March 2018 in Law School Admissions 3521 karma

Submitting a LOCI before a waitlist - has anyone ever done this/is this at all advisable? I feel like as I'm still waiting to hear from schools this late in the cycle, it might be good to reiterate my interest in some of the schools for those weighing me hard...

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I did. I asked @"David.Busis" about this and he told me that it’s late enough in the season that I can submit a LOCI before hearing anything.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@akistotle Some people say submitting a LOCI before a decision can be seen as annoying to admissions officers, and that some (because you submitted new info) will actually put you back to the end of the read file if they have not read you yet. You think this stuff is true?

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    edited March 2018 891 karma

@LastLSAT said:

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @akistotle Some people say submitting a LOCI before a decision can be seen as annoying to admissions officers, and that some (because you submitted new info) will actually put you back to the end of the read file if they have not read you yet. You think this stuff is true?

Ugh. Some admissions practices seem so petty and mean spirited.

"Oh, you're expressing genuine interest in our school in addition to your 75th percentile numbers and painstakingly crafted application? LOL, back of the line for you. Next!"

Right?? Following this thread. I’m curious to see if this is a good idea because I’ve only heard from one School (thank god an acceptance) but waiting on 16 more. Literally have heard nothing. No rejection. No waitlist. Just still “under review”

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

I might recommend giving the admissions office a call and ask. Since it sounds like it might be one or two schools, it shouldn't take too much time.

I know some schools really ask that you don't send anything. UC Berkeley, for example, doesn't even accept LOCIs, LORs, or ANYTHING for waitlisted students (which gives me the impression that they don't want to be bugged).

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited April 2018 1028 karma

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

@LastLSAT said:

@PublicInterested said:
    I might recommend giving the admissions office a call and ask. Since it sounds like it might be one or two schools, it shouldn't take too much time.

I know some schools really ask that you don't send anything. UC Berkeley, for example, doesn't even accept LOCIs, LORs, or ANYTHING for waitlisted students (which gives me the impression that they don't want to be bugged).

Yeah Berkeley was straight up rude every time I tried talking to the admissions office about my pending app (requesting that they consider Feb score, sending in a why Berk., etc.).

Never so much as a salutation or sign off on any of their (one word) email responses.

Very unprofessional IMO, and it totally turned me off to Berk since all the other schools always came across as polite/appreciative of updates.

If you're interested in Berk., I would recommend just letting them do their thing. Don't interfere with their process haha.

That’s surprising and disappointing that they would act that way towards an applicant. Never applied there but it’s just disappointing to hear

• ramster1ramster1 Member
    109 karma

Yes, I did last month and heard back with an acceptance a week later. However, I presented it as an update with my Feb LSAT score (it was marginally better than my Dec score), but if there was anything to update on your resume you could probably use that. I also hadn’t sent them a Why School X essay before so I referenced and attached it to my brief email.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Depends on the school. Definitely no for H and Y. Probably not for S.

If you've got something new to tell them then go for it.

That it's relatively late in the cycle probably makes it more acceptable.