Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your LEAST favorite RC passage(s)?

FixedDiceFixedDice Member
edited March 2018 in Reading Comprehension 1804 karma

(Warning: Spoiler aler... t?)

In an ideal world, each of us would treat each RC passage equally. No passage (type) would be preferred over another; all LSAT candidates from different backgrounds would embrace all passages with same curiosity, eagerness, and love. Reality, alas, proves otherwise. One person might hate a specific passage type because he or she finds its subject matter boring or daunting; another might not like a specific passage because the passage was just too hard; still another might dislike a specific passage because there was that one brutal question that affected his or her performance on the rest of the section, along with many others'.

What the title says. Which RC passage(s) haunts you to this date? I do not like the passages on Roy Lichtenstein (the pop artist who used elements from comic books) and Eileen Gray (the architect who used lacquer). I just don't get art except music, but art passages can be quite interesting - passages on Noguchi (the Japanese American sculptor who created the "negative light" sculpture), Cameron (cheesy photography), Schoenberg (and his three-stage musical development), and perfume ("Perfumes are art too!"), for instance. I did not like those two, however. Especially Eileen Gray.

Comments

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Pt50 P4 riddled basins was a murderer

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    350 karma

I love this thread :) And I hate anything bio related in RC and for no good reason at all - they just intimidate me having never really studied nor had any interest in it since high school. Totally agree on riddled basins too, yuck.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited March 2018 1804 karma

@jyarmo said:
    I love this thread :) And I hate anything bio related in RC and for no good reason at all - they just intimidate me having never really studied nor had any interest in it since high school. Totally agree on riddled basins too, yuck.

You know, I just remembered we rarely see chemistry passages. By chemistry, I don't mean stuff involving environmental science or biochemistry; I mean chemistry in the purest sense, like the one on Curie and the one on nuclear fission.

I am starting to develop this annoying feeling that the June 2018 administration might witness another chemistry passage...

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I actually found those passages interesting. I can't say I did them well when I first encountered them but the novelty of the information provided was stimulating. The passage I didnt like was about drilling oil. It wasn't hard but just incredibly boring. It went into so much detail about the different drilling muds and machines that I didnt care for

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I found passages such as Noguchi (Japanese sculptor) interesting but thought the questions were really annoying. The science passages, in my opinion, have the easiest passage structure and question types so I find them most enjoyable. However, I never want to see Eileen Gray or Clay Tokens ever again.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

EILEEN GRAY, oh how I hated that passage. She put licorice on wood or something. I don't know what the hell she was doing or why. I also didn't care and retained 0 of what I read. I very much disliked that passage...

• akrieglerakriegler Alum Member
    245 karma

The judges candor passage on the September test killed me—I thought I bombed it and i was so anxious about it for the rest of the test. When I got my score back I saw I actually did the best on that passage. Even so, that was still the worst in my opinion. (Well besides the expiremental RC on that same test). Haven’t run into anything worse on PTs yet.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    EILEEN GRAY, oh how I hated that passage. She put licorice on wood or something. I don't know what the hell she was doing or why. I also didn't care and retained 0 of what I read. I very much disliked that passage...

The first person who taught me I can actually get personal about a historical figure...

• testfromawaytestfromaway Alum Member
    280 karma

I absolutely, totally, thoroughly hate science-y passages. Getting an art or writing passage is like a small treat, it's what I read in my spare time anyway

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I was pretty good on the RC, but hated studying for it because I found a lot of passages boring (how many times can lichens come up?), but I think that there was a fractals passage I remember being particularly annoyed with.—I knew what fractals were and so didn’t completely bomb it in the PTs, but it was just... well, when I got to it I kinda wanted to say F’ it for PTing that day. Granted it was a long time ago but if memory serves that passage, whatever it was, was probably the one I hated most

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@akriegler said:
    The judges candor passage on the September test killed me—I thought I bombed it and i was so anxious about it for the rest of the test. When I got my score back I saw I actually did the best on that passage. Even so, that was still the worst in my opinion. (Well besides the expiremental RC on that same test). Haven’t run into anything worse on PTs yet.

I'm seconding judicial candor. I did fine on it, but the problem was that I didn't remember it after the September test.

So when everyone on the internet simultaneously freaked out about it, I started to worry. I couldn't figure out whether it was my first or second passage ect.

That passage, by stressing everyone else out, stressed me out more than any other section I have taken.